|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says of Kathleen in Chapter 2, "Only her face is visible above the top of the bedcovers. It glows like a pale egg." What literary device is used in this example?
2. Where was George's cancer for which he first underwent radiation therapy?
(a) His leg.
(b) His neck.
(c) His groin.
(d) His brain.
3. Who do Margie and Darla pretend that their dolls are when they play after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) Sandra Bernhardt and Emily Chase.
(b) Susan B. Anthony and Betsy Ross.
(c) Betty Ford and Nancy Reagan.
(d) Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly.
4. As Howard stands outside of his house, watching his children in the window in Chapter 2, he thinks, "I will pay my debts with" what?
5. What is the name of the man driving the flatbed truck as the doctor's house is moved in Chapter 2?
(a) Bill Smith.
(b) Kenner Davenport.
(c) Dan Cooper.
(d) Ray Morell.
6. What is the name of Howard's supplier for trade items?
7. What game do Howard and George play on the porch when George is a child in Chapter 2?
8. What does George's mother stuff into Howard's mouth to prevent him from biting his tongue when he has a seizure at Christmas dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) A dish towel.
(b) A spoon.
(c) An oven mitt.
(d) A broomstick.
9. What has the Morrells' curing shed been converted into when George runs away in Chapter 2?
(a) A cemetery.
(b) A tool shed.
(c) A log cabin.
(d) A tree house.
10. How old is Ray Morrell when George runs away to his father's property in Chapter 2?
11. What game do George and Ray regularly play in the Morrells' old curing shed?
(c) Go Fish.
12. Who is the doctor that Kathleen plans to take George to after his hand has been bitten in Chapter 2?
(a) Dr. Butler.
(b) Dr. Box.
(c) Dr. Jenkins.
(d) Dr. Gilbert.
13. How is Marjorie related to George?
(a) Marjorie is George's daughter.
(b) Marjorie is George's niece.
(c) Marjorie is George's granddaughter.
(d) Marjorie is George's sister.
14. What three states does the narrator say George's grandchildren are visiting from in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Kansas, Georgia, and Washington.
(b) Oregon, California, and Colorado.
(c) Arkansas, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.
(d) Mississippi, Ohio, and Indiana.
15. At what age did George retire?
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity does the narrator say George has always hated in Chapter 1?
2. When is the autograph dated in the novel that Howard receives as a gift from the hermit in Chapter 1?
3. What word used in Chapter 2 refers to a device for creating applause in theaters?
4. Where has George's hospital bed been placed in the beginning of the novel?
5. How often does the narrator say Kathleen washes her hair in the winter in Chapter 2?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)