|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The one occurrence when George witnesses one of his father's grand mal seizures is during Christmas dinner in what year?
2. What is the name of Howard's mule?
(b) Prince Edward.
(d) Peter the Great.
3. What game do George and Ray regularly play in the Morrells' old curing shed?
(d) Go Fish.
4. What objects did George begin repairing and trading after his retirement?
(d) Vacuum cleaners.
5. What town do George and Kathleen walk toward when they find the doctor's house missing in Chapter 2?
(c) West Cove.
6. Who agrees to shave George in Chapter 1?
7. What does the narrator describe as Joe's favorite breakfast meal in Chapter 2?
(a) Blueberry pancakes with honey.
(b) Mozzarella cheese omelets.
(c) Eggs Benedict with hash.
(d) Pancakes and maple syrup.
8. What animals circle Howard's cart in the field before moving on in the end of Chapter 2?
9. Of Howard, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "His despair had not come from the fact that he was a fool; he knew he was a fool. His despair came from" what?
(a) The fact that the world around him saw him as a fool.
(b) The fact that his wife saw him as a fool.
(c) The fact that his father saw him as a fool.
(d) The fact that his mother saw him as a fool.
10. What is the name of the hermit whose tooth Howard pulls in Chapter 1?
(d) La Rose.
11. Who built George's house?
(b) Mr. Smith.
12. What ailment has Marjorie suffered from all of her life?
(c) Manic depression.
13. Who are the neighbors that Howard goes to in order to borrow a horse to look for George after he's run away in Chapter 2?
(a) The Montgomery's.
(b) The Wilsons.
(c) The Levansellers.
(d) The Newcastles.
14. What is the name of the bootlegger that Howard sells five gallons of homemade whiskey for as an odd job?
15. The drowned child that Howard fishes from a creek is the daughter of what widow?
(d) La Rose.
Short Answer Questions
1. The hospital that Kathleen has a pamphlet for in Chapter 2 is located by what river?
2. What word is used in Chapter 1 to refer to angels?
3. Who does the narrator describe as having gone mad and lit his house on fire, killing himself and a woman with two children, in Chapter 2?
4. What is the "eighth planet, named after the king of the sea"?
5. At what age did George retire?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)