|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What three states does the narrator say George's grandchildren are visiting from in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Oregon, California, and Colorado.
(b) Kansas, Georgia, and Washington.
(c) Arkansas, Connecticut, and Massachusetts.
(d) Mississippi, Ohio, and Indiana.
2. What kind of liquor does Howard keep a few bottles of in his secret drawer as a tradesman?
3. Where was George's cancer for which he first underwent radiation therapy?
(a) His groin.
(b) His brain.
(c) His leg.
(d) His neck.
4. What month is it every year when Howard meets with the hermit in Chapter 1?
5. The one occurrence when George witnesses one of his father's grand mal seizures is during Christmas dinner in what year?
6. Where does Marjorie live?
7. Of Kathleen's strict demeanor, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "She could not live with herself if she allowed herself to believe that she treated her own this way because she felt no more connected to them than she would to" what?
(a) A pet dog.
(b) A Christmas goose.
(c) A pile of dirt.
(d) A collection of stones.
8. What animal does George take with him when he runs away from home in Chapter 2?
(a) Prince Edward.
9. What are the names of George's two daughters?
(a) Kathleen and Emily.
(b) Mary and Anna.
(c) Claire and Betsy.
(d) Wilma and Grace.
10. What animals circle Howard's cart in the field before moving on in the end of Chapter 2?
11. What is the name of the bootlegger that Howard sells five gallons of homemade whiskey for as an odd job?
12. What game do Howard and George play on the porch when George is a child in Chapter 2?
13. What sport does Ezra Morrell love and follow?
14. Who are the neighbors that Howard goes to in order to borrow a horse to look for George after he's run away in Chapter 2?
(a) The Montgomery's.
(b) The Levansellers.
(c) The Wilsons.
(d) The Newcastles.
15. What does George wrap the dead mouse with in Chapter 2?
(a) A blanket.
(c) A cardigan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Howard paid to shoot a dog, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
2. The narrator says of Kathleen in Chapter 2 that her "stern manner and her humorless regime mask" what?
3. What is the "eighth planet, named after the king of the sea"?
4. What is the name of the nineteen-year-old who has Howard cut his hair in Chapter 1?
5. What name has Joe given to the bearskin rug in the Crosby home?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)