|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Part 2 (pages 143-156).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 3 as Howard searches the woods for his father, "The tom-tom tap of a pileated woodpecker sounded from somewhere in the woods, to Howard's left." What literary device is used in this sentence?
(d) Literary allusion.
2. What does Howard's mother cook for breakfast the morning after Howard's father has been taken away in Chapter 3?
(b) Blueberry muffins.
3. How many hours before he dies does George ask for a shave?
(a) 116 hours.
(b) 156 hours.
(c) 96 hours.
(d) 126 hours.
4. What are the names of George's two daughters?
(a) Kathleen and Emily.
(b) Claire and Betsy.
(c) Wilma and Grace.
(d) Mary and Anna.
5. Of Howard, the narrator says in Chapter 2, "His despair had not come from the fact that he was a fool; he knew he was a fool. His despair came from" what?
(a) The fact that his wife saw him as a fool.
(b) The fact that the world around him saw him as a fool.
(c) The fact that his father saw him as a fool.
(d) The fact that his mother saw him as a fool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word used in Chapter 3 means characterized by low buffoonery?
2. What is Howard's mother doing when he returns from the woods after having his first seizure in Chapter 3?
3. What town do George and Kathleen walk toward when they find the doctor's house missing in Chapter 2?
4. What does George dream is biting his hand as he lay in his parents' bed after getting stitches in Chapter 2?
5. What animals circle Howard's cart in the field before moving on in the end of Chapter 2?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)