|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the car that Jim is supposed to get into when he and Max work together?
2. Whose voice comes on the duty officer's radio once music stops?
3. What does Jerry do for a living?
4. What is the name of the duty officer Smiley visits in Chapter 26?
5. Whom does the message from Alleline say Tarr should talk to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Smiley go to meet Ann?
2. What does Jim tell Max about their covers in preparation for their big mission?
3. What happens the first time Haydon and Jim meet?
4. What does Mendel report to Smiley when he is watching Circus headquarters in Chapter 35?
5. What do Smiley and Guilliam do when they arrive at the safe house in Chapter 36?
6. After Jim is caught, what does he plan to tell his interrogators?
7. As part of their agreement about the mission, what is Max supposed to do if Jim does not show up after getting in the car?
8. Why does Smiley visit Sam?
9. What happens when Jerry tells Toby about the story a man in Prague tells him about Jim?
10. What is the Minister concerned about in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the struggles Smiley goes through in hunting the mole. What challenges does he face? How does he overcome these challenges? What does his ability to find the mole say about him?
Essay Topic 2
Explore Smiley's dedication to British intelligence. Why do you think he goes back to help the Circus find the mole? Why do you think he goes to back to head the Circus temporarily after the ordeal is over? What does this decision say about him? What do you think will happen when he goes back?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of paranoia in the novel. Cite two instances where characters show signs of being paranoid. How do they behave as a result? Does their paranoia help protect them from danger? Use examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)