|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Max wear when he and Smiley meet?
2. What is the name of the man Haydon and Jim talk to when they meet?
3. Who leaves the safe house without saying goodbye to anyone?
4. During the bust at the safe house, who seems indifferent to everything taking place?
5. Why is Bill's father threatening to take him out of school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Toby help Smiley?
2. What does Mendel report to Smiley when he is watching Circus headquarters in Chapter 35?
3. What does Smiley tell Jerry as they part in Chapter 28?
4. What do Smiley and Guilliam do when they arrive at the safe house in Chapter 36?
5. Why does Smiley visit Haydon's girlfriend?
6. What does Smiley tell Toby at the safe house is the only thing he wants to know about?
7. What does Smiley figure out that Karla wanted from Jim?
8. Why does Smiley tell Lacon that it would be unwise to meet at his room in Whitehall?
9. Why does Haydon say he had an affair with Ann?
10. How does Smiley figure out who the mole is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the struggles Smiley goes through in hunting the mole. What challenges does he face? How does he overcome these challenges? What does his ability to find the mole say about him?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of names, nicknames, and code names in the novel. Cite three names where names play a large role in the novel and explain what the names might represent based on your reading of the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of mystery in the novel. What techniques does the author use to create a mystery for his reader? Why do you think the author keeps the identity of the mole a secret from the reader as long as if is unknown to Smiley? Do you notice any clues to the reader about who the mole is?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)