|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Smiley want to know about from Connie?
2. Which Witchcraft report does Guilliam have to sign a form stating he has read in Chapter 21?
3. What month is it when Tarr meets Irina in Hong Kong?
4. How is Toby described as dressing?
5. What is the name of Guilliam's girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the reports that Alleline turns in that secure his job as the head of the Circus.
2. How does Smiley first meet Karla?
3. What tasks does Guilliam perform for Smiley at Brixton?
4. What does Guilliam learn about the annexes during his run at the archives?
5. Why does Control stop working with the Circus?
6. Why does Tarr become angry and lunge at Smiley?
7. How does Bill Roach feel about himself as the novel opens?
8. What happens to Connie when she tries to investigate Polyakov?
9. Why does Smiley memorize cars in his London neighborhood?
10. Why is Guilliam not suspected of committing any breaches while in the archives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of names, nicknames, and code names in the novel. Cite three names where names play a large role in the novel and explain what the names might represent based on your reading of the text.
Essay Topic 2
What role does Karla play in the story? Do you think he is the true villain of the story? Why or why not? How do people talk about him? Why is it important that he never actually appears in present time line of the story, and he is only referred to in the recollections of others?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Toby and Roy. How are they alike? How are they different? What is their relationship like? How does each one drive the plot? How would the story be different without each one?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)