|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many students take part in the car-club race at the all-boys school?
2. What does Smiley see in his house that lets him know Guilliam is there?
3. What do the janitors call Toby?
4. What does Bill see that scares him?
5. What does the person who calls Smiley at the end of Chapter 19 want?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guilliam learn about the annexes during his run at the archives?
2. Why does Tarr believe that Boris is a professional agent and not a trade delegate?
3. How is Connie able to help Smiley?
4. What does Guilliam tell Smiley about how British intelligence operates in his absence?
5. What makes Bill Roach sick?
6. Why is Guilliam not suspected of committing any breaches while in the archives?
7. What does Irina confess to Tarr during their time in Hong Kong?
8. What does Irina's diary say?
9. Why is Smiley suspicious about Tarr during their conversation in Chapter 9?
10. Why does Smiley memorize cars in his London neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Haydon's death? Why do you think the author decided to kill his character off at the end? What do you think the author wants his reader to take away from his death? How does his death move the story along? Why is it important that Smiley does not know who killed Haydon?
Essay Topic 2
What role does Karla play in the story? Do you think he is the true villain of the story? Why or why not? How do people talk about him? Why is it important that he never actually appears in present time line of the story, and he is only referred to in the recollections of others?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of all the interviews Smiley does? Why is it important that he must rely on recollections of others to solve his mystery? Cite three instances where Smiley must rely on interviews for information and tell how each one is significant and how each drives the plot.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)