|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aleks?
2. What kind of alcohol does Jim have on a table in his trailer when Bill spies on him?
3. What country does one of Alleline's reports describe the purges and changes in?
4. What does Bill think Jim must have problems with?
5. Where does Guilliam go to search for documents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Guilliam tell Smiley about how British intelligence operates in his absence?
2. What is the form that Alleline makes Guilliam sign?
3. Why does Alleline want to know if Guilliam has met with Tarr?
4. What does Guilliam learn about the annexes during his run at the archives?
5. Why does Haydon tell Smiley to cut himself off from Control?
6. How does Jim react when a stranger comes to Thursgood's?
7. Why does Tarr think should Irina should defect as soon as possible?
8. How does Bill Roach feel about himself as the novel opens?
9. What tasks does Guilliam perform for Smiley at Brixton?
10. What makes Bill Roach sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of paranoia in the novel. Cite two instances where characters show signs of being paranoid. How do they behave as a result? Does their paranoia help protect them from danger? Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of names, nicknames, and code names in the novel. Cite three names where names play a large role in the novel and explain what the names might represent based on your reading of the text.
Essay Topic 3
Explore Smiley's dedication to British intelligence. Why do you think he goes back to help the Circus find the mole? Why do you think he goes to back to head the Circus temporarily after the ordeal is over? What does this decision say about him? What do you think will happen when he goes back?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)