|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has an affair with Smiley's wife?
2. What is the name of Smiley's wife?
3. How many active agents are behind the Iron Curtain?
4. What nickname does Jim give to Bill?
5. To whom does Irina tell Tarr she needs to speak?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bill become physically ill?
2. Whom does Guilliam tell everything he has learned at Brixton at the end of Chapter 11?
3. Who says, "Tarr has not lied to us, Peter. Not in any material way."?
4. What does Bill see that scares him?
5. In what continent is Karla a legend, according to Smiley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Haydon tell Smiley to cut himself off from Control?
2. What does Irina's diary say?
3. Why is the Matron worried about Bill Roach?
4. Why do Guilliam and Smiley keep a secret from Tarr at the end of Chapter 22?
5. Why is Smiley suspicious about Tarr during their conversation in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Control stop working with the Circus?
7. How does Jim react when a stranger comes to Thursgood's?
8. How does Bill Roach feel about himself as the novel opens?
9. Why does Tarr think should Irina should defect as soon as possible?
10. Why does Smiley think Merlin is in London?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)