|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice comes on the duty officer's radio once music stops?
(a) Lauren Bacall.
(b) Mildred Natwick.
(c) Claudette Colbert.
(d) Noel Coward.
2. What does Guilliam do when he arrives at the safe house?
(a) He sets a trap.
(b) He calls the police.
(c) He does something to the wiring.
(d) He hugs Smiley.
3. What does Jerry do for a living?
(d) Radio talk show host.
4. Who does Smiley tell the Minister they need to stop negotiating with?
(a) The Chinese.
(b) The Russians.
(c) The Americans.
(d) The mafia.
5. Who is at the safe house at the beginning of Chapter 34?
6. Who is asked to take over the Circus in Chapter 38?
7. In what year does Haydon receive Soviet citizenship?
8. Where does Tarr go on a ferry?
9. Who says, "I want to put a thesis to you, Toby. A notion about what's going on."?
10. Where does Jim go at the end of the novel?
(a) Back to the all boys school.
(b) To a new school to teach.
(c) To be a mole in Russia.
(d) Back to the Circus.
11. What kind of car does Smiley arrive to visit Jim in?
(a) A Ford.
(b) A Bentley.
(c) A Honda.
(d) A Chevy.
12. Who hands Smiley documents at the end of Chapter 25?
(d) The Minister.
13. What is the name of the duty officer Smiley visits in Chapter 26?
14. Who does Smiley believe is the mole after hearing his voice?
15. During the bust at the safe house, who seems indifferent to everything taking place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Steve tell Tarr he needs to worry about?
2. What does Jim hate about the cigarette Karla gives him?
3. What excuse does Jim use to get out of work?
4. What does Karla show Jim when they talk about Smiley?
5. Who does Haydon want to question him when being interrogated?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)