|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kitty react when she hears the sailor calling out?
2. According to Elsie, what are people incapable of protecting themselves against?
3. What is Kit Carson doing as the scene opens?
4. How could Kitty's mood be categorized?
5. On what does Joe become transfixed?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of life. Identify at least two themes about life in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Tom. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. One example is the lesson in humility that the humble Tom teaches the arrogant Joe who is usually the one doling out lessons with money. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)