|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Harry and Wesley do when the Arab begins to play his harmonica?
2. Why had Krupp engaged Nick in a conversation about quitting the police force?
3. What does Krupp remind Nick about before leaving the bar?
4. On what does Joe become transfixed?
5. Which of the following do Nick and Krupp not mention while talking about how wonderful the world is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
What is your interpretation of the play's title, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Does Saroyan mean to imply that these characters are living a good life? Or is there a message he wants the reader to learn from reading about the characters? Or is it something else entirely? Support your answer with examples if possible.
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)