|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the drunk looking for?
2. According to Elsie, what are people incapable of protecting themselves against?
3. What do Harry and Wesley do when the Arab begins to play his harmonica?
4. Tom is overwhelmed by Joe's _______________.
5. What was Dudley prepared to do if Elsie had not come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE is set in 1939--following the Great Depression in America and before the start of World War II. What impact did these two major events have on Saroyan? What impact did they have on his work, especially THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Saroyan use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Joe. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)