|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nick receives an annoying phone call from whom?
2. Which of the following do Nick and Krupp not mention while talking about how wonderful the world is?
3. Why had Krupp engaged Nick in a conversation about quitting the police force?
4. What can Joe tell from looking at Kitty and Tom?
5. What does Tom promise the sailor?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Joe. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Nick's daughter? What is the role of Nick's mother? Why does the author insert them into the story especially in such limited ways? Is this the author's way of exploring Nick's character through his reactions to them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE is set in 1939--following the Great Depression in America and before the start of World War II. What impact did these two major events have on Saroyan? What impact did they have on his work, especially THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. Explain.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)