|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dudley do when he first sees Elsie?
2. Which of the following is not part of Krupp's philosophy of life?
3. Kitty is upset when she sees _______________________.
4. What do Harry and Wesley do when the Arab begins to play his harmonica?
5. How does Kitty react when she hears the sailor calling out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of life. Identify at least two themes about life in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The role of a melting pot of characters is an important element in this story. Cite three examples noting the role of this motley crew in general. Then cite three examples that showcase characteristics that these individuals share.
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)