|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the topics Kit Carson expounds on?
2. Krupp's job is interfering with his relationship with whom?
3. What is the drunk looking for?
4. Joe tells Kitty that she will always be safe because ___________ will be there for her.
5. What instrument does the Arab play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)