|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the topics Kit Carson expounds on?
2. Why does Joe want to get a car?
3. Why had Krupp engaged Nick in a conversation about quitting the police force?
4. Which of the following do Nick and Krupp not mention while talking about how wonderful the world is?
5. What is Kitty doing when Act 3 opens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE is set in 1939--following the Great Depression in America and before the start of World War II. What impact did these two major events have on Saroyan? What impact did they have on his work, especially THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. Explain.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)