|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joe is always eager, yet always ____________.
2. Although the men in the bar think Harry is a good dancer, they are less enthusiastic about his ______________ skills.
3. Who is the young black man to whom Nick gives a free lunch?
4. How often does Joe say that he drinks?
5. What does Joe say stopped him from crying as a young boy when his mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nick described in Act 1?
2. What toy do Tom and Joe bring Kitty to cheer her up?
3. How is Tom described in Act 1?
4. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
5. What problems to people seem to create for themselves according to Krupp?
6. What do Tom and Kitty symbolize for Joe/
7. What gesture of kindness does Joe do for Tom which completely surprises Tom?
8. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
9. How does the author use humor in Kit Carson's character in Act 4?
10. What things does Joe tell Tom to buy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place as America is still recovering from the Great Depression. Explain the significance of the Depression on America in general and the patrons of Nick's bar in particular. What impact did the Depression have on the choices that Nick and Joe made? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)