|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joe save Tom's life?
2. What color hair does Nick, the bar owner, have?
3. What is the name of the horse that Joe claims to have won?
4. What is the woman's first name?
5. What is the Arab's stock reply to almost everything?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
2. How does Tom behave when he discovers Kitty is a prostitute?
3. How is Kitty Duval described in Act 1?
4. How does the author show that Joe is trying to be a better person?
5. How is Tom described in Act 1?
6. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
7. How does the usually skeptical Joe know that Tom and Kitty love each other?
8. What job does Nick agree to pay Wesley to do?
9. How does the author foreshadow some conflict regarding the character of Blick?
10. What betting advice does Joe give Nick in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The marble machine almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the marble machine "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Nick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Saroyan use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,731 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)