|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is the newsboy?
2. How does Willie acknowledge people?
3. What does Joe send Tom out to buy?
4. Tom never acknowledges that Kitty could be ______________.
5. Kitty is very melancholy with memories of ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Nick and the bar serve a purpose for Krupp who is in distress over the state of his life and the world in general?
2. How does Joe react to Tom's question?
3. How does the author use humor in Kit Carson's character in Act 4?
4. What role do music and creativity play in the drama?
5. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
6. Describe Joe's introspective mood tonight.
7. How does Joe verbally keep Tom in a subordinate position?
8. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
9. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
10. How does the usually skeptical Joe know that Tom and Kitty love each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The story takes place as America is still recovering from the Great Depression. Explain the significance of the Depression on America in general and the patrons of Nick's bar in particular. What impact did the Depression have on the choices that Nick and Joe made? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)