Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Krupp?
2. What does Joe say stopped him from crying as a young boy when his mother died?
3. For whom does Joe call out and then whistle for?
4. What is the letter on the front of Willie's sweater?
5. Why does Nick think so many different types of people come to his bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joe described in Act 1?
2. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
3. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
4. How is Nick's character further revealed in Act 4?
5. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
6. How does the usually skeptical Joe know that Tom and Kitty love each other?
7. What job does Nick agree to pay Wesley to do?
8. What betting advice does Joe give Nick in Act 2?
9. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
10. What is the setting for Act 5?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Joe. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Kitty. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)