|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe do with all the newspapers he buys from the newsboy?
2. How did Joe save Tom's life?
3. What beverage does Joe buy for Kitty?
4. Tom never acknowledges that Kitty could be ______________.
5. Why does Joe give Tom a nickel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Elsie have on Dudley when he finally sees her?
2. How is Tom described in Act 1?
3. How does Joe engage the woman sitting alone at the center table in the bar?
4. What is the Lady's reactions to Joe's behavior?
5. How does Joe verbally keep Tom in a subordinate position?
6. Describe Joe's introspective mood tonight.
7. What problems to people seem to create for themselves according to Krupp?
8. How are the longshoreman, McCarthy, and the policeman, Krupp, described in Act 2?
9. What are some of the outrageous stories that Kit tells about his life?
10. Why does Tom want to give Joe's recently purchased toys to Kitty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place as America is still recovering from the Great Depression. Explain the significance of the Depression on America in general and the patrons of Nick's bar in particular. What impact did the Depression have on the choices that Nick and Joe made? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Nick's daughter? What is the role of Nick's mother? Why does the author insert them into the story especially in such limited ways? Is this the author's way of exploring Nick's character through his reactions to them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Tom. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)