|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had saved Tom's life?
2. What is the letter on the front of Willie's sweater?
3. Why is Dudley so excited after receiving a phone call?
4. How much time has passed since the first act?
5. What type of performer was Kitty at one time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems to people seem to create for themselves according to Krupp?
2. How is Kitty Duval described in Act 1?
3. What are Elsie and Dudly's perspectives on loving without pain?
4. How does Nick show his soft-hearted side to those who are down on their luck?
5. What do Tom and Kitty symbolize for Joe/
6. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
7. How does the author use the different characters to show the different elements that make up American society?
8. What toy do Tom and Joe bring Kitty to cheer her up?
9. How are the longshoreman, McCarthy, and the policeman, Krupp, described in Act 2?
10. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study on Nick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The marble machine almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the marble machine "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)