|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What musical instrument does Wesley play?
2. Who is McCarthy?
3. Who is the girl that Dudley wants to marry?
4. What does Tom realize he needs in order to marry Kitty?
5. Although the men in the bar think Harry is a good dancer, they are less enthusiastic about his ______________ skills.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Dudley described in Act 1?
2. How does Joe verbally keep Tom in a subordinate position?
3. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
4. What toy do Tom and Joe bring Kitty to cheer her up?
5. How does Tom react to the sailor beating on Kitty's door?
6. What gesture of kindness does Joe do for Tom which completely surprises Tom?
7. How are the longshoreman, McCarthy, and the policeman, Krupp, described in Act 2?
8. How does the author use humor in Kit Carson's character in Act 4?
9. What is Joe's opinion on work and money?
10. How does Joe react to Tom's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Nick, Joe, Tom and Kitty. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Saroyan use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of life. Identify at least two themes about life in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)