|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what date does Nick tell the newsboy to return?
2. Tom never acknowledges that Kitty could be ______________.
3. How did Joe save Tom's life?
4. What does Harry think his purpose is in the world?
5. Kitty is very melancholy with memories of ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom react to the sailor beating on Kitty's door?
2. How does Joe verbally keep Tom in a subordinate position?
3. What is the setting for Act 2?
4. What is the ritual between Joe and the newsboy?
5. What is it that Tom wants to ask Joe and what prompts his need to ask?
6. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
7. What job does Nick agree to pay Wesley to do?
8. What role do music and creativity play in the drama?
9. What is the Lady's reactions to Joe's behavior?
10. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Nick, Joe, Tom and Kitty. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)