|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the initials on the bag of a woman Joe is fixated on?
2. What does Joe send Tom out to buy?
3. Tom never acknowledges that Kitty could be ______________.
4. What color hair does Nick, the bar owner, have?
5. What type of song does Joe want to hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom play into Kitty's childhood dreams of what she wanted for her life?
2. What is the ritual between Joe and the newsboy?
3. What is the setting for Act 3?
4. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
5. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
6. How does Nick show his soft-hearted side to those who are down on their luck?
7. What effect does Elsie have on Dudley when he finally sees her?
8. How does the author foreshadow some conflict regarding the character of Blick?
9. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
10. How does the usually skeptical Joe know that Tom and Kitty love each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The story takes place as America is still recovering from the Great Depression. Explain the significance of the Depression on America in general and the patrons of Nick's bar in particular. What impact did the Depression have on the choices that Nick and Joe made? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)