|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed since the first act?
2. What is Joe doing at a table by himself?
3. What does Tom want to give to Kitty to stop her crying?
4. For whom does Joe call out and then whistle for?
5. What does Nick yell at Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Lady's reactions to Joe's behavior?
2. What is the setting for Act 1 of THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE?
3. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
4. What gesture of kindness does Joe do for Tom which completely surprises Tom?
5. What activity in the hallway interrupts Kitty's melancholy state?
6. What job does Nick agree to pay Wesley to do?
7. What role do music and creativity play in the drama?
8. Why is the appearance of Nick's daughter such an emotional experience for him?
9. How does Tom react to the sailor beating on Kitty's door?
10. How does the author use the different characters to show the different elements that make up American society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Nick, Joe, Tom and Kitty. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE is set in 1939--following the Great Depression in America and before the start of World War II. What impact did these two major events have on Saroyan? What impact did they have on his work, especially THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of Nick's daughter? What is the role of Nick's mother? Why does the author insert them into the story especially in such limited ways? Is this the author's way of exploring Nick's character through his reactions to them? Explain.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)