|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe want Tom to get for him?
2. What nationality is the newsboy?
3. Which of the following does not describe Tom?
4. What beverage does Joe buy for Kitty?
5. What does Joe make Tom do while the music plays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom want to give Joe's recently purchased toys to Kitty?
2. What things does Joe tell Tom to buy?
3. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
4. How does the author use humor in Kit Carson's character in Act 4?
5. How does Joe explain Tom's love for Kitty and how Kitty deserves to have a nicer life?
6. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
7. How does the usually skeptical Joe know that Tom and Kitty love each other?
8. What is the setting for Act 2?
9. How are the longshoreman, McCarthy, and the policeman, Krupp, described in Act 2?
10. What problems to people seem to create for themselves according to Krupp?
Essay Topic 1
What is your interpretation of the play's title, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Does Saroyan mean to imply that these characters are living a good life? Or is there a message he wants the reader to learn from reading about the characters? Or is it something else entirely? Support your answer with examples if possible.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Joe. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,884 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)