|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe send Tom out to buy?
2. In what city is Nick's Pacific Street Saloon, Restaurant and Entertainment Palace located?
3. What is the name of the horse Joe tells Nick to bet on?
4. Why does Blick threaten to close down Nick's bar?
5. For whom does Joe call out and then whistle for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe verbally keep Tom in a subordinate position?
2. What do Tom and Kitty symbolize for Joe/
3. What activity in the hallway interrupts Kitty's melancholy state?
4. What effect does Elsie have on Dudley when he finally sees her?
5. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
6. How does the author show Kitty's distress through her body language?
7. What gesture of kindness does Joe do for Tom which completely surprises Tom?
8. How does the author show that Joe is trying to be a better person?
9. How is Harry described in Act 1?
10. How does Joe react to Tom's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Nick's daughter? What is the role of Nick's mother? Why does the author insert them into the story especially in such limited ways? Is this the author's way of exploring Nick's character through his reactions to them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The marble machine almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the marble machine "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
What is your interpretation of the play's title, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Does Saroyan mean to imply that these characters are living a good life? Or is there a message he wants the reader to learn from reading about the characters? Or is it something else entirely? Support your answer with examples if possible.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)