|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of song does Joe want to hear?
2. Who is McCarthy?
3. What stage name does Joe insist on calling Kitty?
4. What musical instrument does Wesley play?
5. Why does Blick threaten to close down Nick's bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joe engage the woman sitting alone at the center table in the bar?
2. How does Kitty respond when Nick insinuates that she is a prostitute?
3. Describe Joe's introspective mood tonight.
4. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
5. How is Dudley described in Act 1?
6. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
7. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
8. How is Nick's character further revealed in Act 4?
9. How is Tom described in Act 1?
10. What does Krupp think people want in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The marble machine almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the marble machine "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of evolution of character is an important one in this story. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Alcohol seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)