|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characteristics does not describe Tom?
2. Why is Wesley so excited when he returns to the bar?
3. Who had saved Tom's life?
4. What does Joe ask Mary to do?
5. Which of the following does not describe Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activity in the hallway interrupts Kitty's melancholy state?
2. How is Kitty Duval described in Act 1?
3. How does Tom behave when he discovers Kitty is a prostitute?
4. How is Joe described in Act 1?
5. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
6. What effect does Elsie have on Dudley when he finally sees her?
7. How does the author show that Joe is trying to be a better person?
8. What is the setting for Act 3?
9. How does Joe explain Tom's love for Kitty and how Kitty deserves to have a nicer life?
10. What is the ritual between Joe and the newsboy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of life. Identify at least two themes about life in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Tom. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)