Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Krupp?
2. What does Joe say stopped him from crying as a young boy when his mother died?
3. For whom does Joe call out and then whistle for?
4. What is the letter on the front of Willie's sweater?
5. Why does Nick think so many different types of people come to his bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joe described in Act 1?
2. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
3. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
4. How is Nick's character further revealed in Act 4?
5. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
6. How does the usually skeptical Joe know that Tom and Kitty love each other?
7. What job does Nick agree to pay Wesley to do?
8. What betting advice does Joe give Nick in Act 2?
9. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
10. What is the setting for Act 5?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. One example is the lesson in humility that the humble Tom teaches the arrogant Joe who is usually the one doling out lessons with money. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
What is your interpretation of the play's title, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Does Saroyan mean to imply that these characters are living a good life? Or is there a message he wants the reader to learn from reading about the characters? Or is it something else entirely? Support your answer with examples if possible.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)