|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Murphy?
2. What does Tom want to give to Kitty to stop her crying?
3. What stage name does Joe insist on calling Kitty?
4. What is Dudley R. Bostwick's greatest need?
5. What does Nick yell at Willie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joe's opinion on work and money?
2. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
3. Why is the appearance of Nick's daughter such an emotional experience for him?
4. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
5. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
6. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
7. How does Joe engage the woman sitting alone at the center table in the bar?
8. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
9. What are Elsie and Dudly's perspectives on loving without pain?
10. What do Tom and Kitty symbolize for Joe/
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of Nick's daughter? What is the role of Nick's mother? Why does the author insert them into the story especially in such limited ways? Is this the author's way of exploring Nick's character through his reactions to them? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place as America is still recovering from the Great Depression. Explain the significance of the Depression on America in general and the patrons of Nick's bar in particular. What impact did the Depression have on the choices that Nick and Joe made? Explain.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)