Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Krupp?
2. What does Joe say stopped him from crying as a young boy when his mother died?
3. For whom does Joe call out and then whistle for?
4. What is the letter on the front of Willie's sweater?
5. Why does Nick think so many different types of people come to his bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Joe described in Act 1?
2. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
3. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
4. How is Nick's character further revealed in Act 4?
5. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
6. How does the usually skeptical Joe know that Tom and Kitty love each other?
7. What job does Nick agree to pay Wesley to do?
8. What betting advice does Joe give Nick in Act 2?
9. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
10. What is the setting for Act 5?
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of life. Identify at least two themes about life in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
The story takes place as America is still recovering from the Great Depression. Explain the significance of the Depression on America in general and the patrons of Nick's bar in particular. What impact did the Depression have on the choices that Nick and Joe made? Explain.
The role of a melting pot of characters is an important element in this story. Cite three examples noting the role of this motley crew in general. Then cite three examples that showcase characteristics that these individuals share.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)