|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does Joe say that he drinks?
2. What does Tom want to give to Kitty to stop her crying?
3. What beverage does Joe buy for Kitty?
4. What is the name of the horse that Joe claims to have won?
5. What does Joe say that people spend 23 boring hours doing each day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Nick described in Act 1?
2. What activity in the hallway interrupts Kitty's melancholy state?
3. What is the setting for Act 3?
4. How is Dudley described in Act 1?
5. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
6. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
7. Describe Joe's introspective mood tonight.
8. What effect does Elsie have on Dudley when he finally sees her?
9. What is the setting for Act 4?
10. How does Joe explain Tom's love for Kitty and how Kitty deserves to have a nicer life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The marble machine almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the marble machine "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Nick. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
The story takes place as America is still recovering from the Great Depression. Explain the significance of the Depression on America in general and the patrons of Nick's bar in particular. What impact did the Depression have on the choices that Nick and Joe made? Explain.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)