|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman who enters the bar and mesmerizes Tom?
2. Who is the frightening woman who Dudley invites to the bar?
3. Which of the following does Nick not say his bar attracts?
4. Why does Joe give Tom a nickel?
5. What city have Joe and Mary both visited?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the different characters to show the different elements that make up American society?
2. How does Tom react to the sailor beating on Kitty's door?
3. How is Tom described in Act 1?
4. What does Krupp think people want in their lives?
5. What role do music and creativity play in the drama?
6. How does Joe engage the woman sitting alone at the center table in the bar?
7. How does the author show that Joe is trying to be a better person?
8. How does Blick intimidate Kitty into humiliating behavior?
9. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
10. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of irony in the book. One example is the lesson in humility that the humble Tom teaches the arrogant Joe who is usually the one doling out lessons with money. Cite at least three other examples you can identify in the story and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of evolution of character is an important one in this story. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)