|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city have Joe and Mary both visited?
2. In what city is Nick's Pacific Street Saloon, Restaurant and Entertainment Palace located?
3. Which one of Nick's family members comes into the bar and delights Nick with his/her presence?
4. What is the name of the horse Joe tells Nick to bet on?
5. Who is the frightening woman who Dudley invites to the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 4?
2. What effect does Elsie have on Dudley when he finally sees her?
3. What is the setting for Act 2?
4. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
5. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
6. What is the setting for Act 5?
7. How does the author show that Joe is trying to be a better person?
8. Why is the appearance of Nick's daughter such an emotional experience for him?
9. What is the ritual between Joe and the newsboy?
10. What does Tom tell Kitty that he wanted to be as a small boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Nick's daughter? What is the role of Nick's mother? Why does the author insert them into the story especially in such limited ways? Is this the author's way of exploring Nick's character through his reactions to them? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of life. Identify at least two themes about life in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of evolution of character is an important one in this story. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,693 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)