|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tom tells Joe that he has had a problem with _______________.
2. How often does Joe say that he drinks?
3. What is the name of the horse Joe tells Nick to bet on?
4. Who is McCarthy?
5. Why is Wesley so excited when he returns to the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom play into Kitty's childhood dreams of what she wanted for her life?
2. How does Joe engage the woman sitting alone at the center table in the bar?
3. What is the setting for Act 1 of THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE?
4. What is the setting for Act 4?
5. How does the author show that Joe is trying to be a better person?
6. What job does Nick agree to pay Wesley to do?
7. How does the author use humor in Kit Carson's character in Act 4?
8. What are Elsie and Dudly's perspectives on loving without pain?
9. How is Joe described in Act 1?
10. What does Krupp think people want in their lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Nick, Joe, Tom and Kitty. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The marble machine almost becomes a character in the book because it plays such an important role in the story. Explain how an inanimate object can be a character in a story and how the marble machine "interacted" with the "other" characters. Cite three examples to support your claim.
This section contains 1,759 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)