|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of song does Joe want to hear?
2. What does Tom want to give to Kitty to stop her crying?
3. What is Joe doing at a table by himself?
4. What does Joe send Tom out to buy?
5. What is the name of the horse that Joe claims to have won?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Krupp think people want in their lives?
2. What role do music and creativity play in the drama?
3. What life mystery do Krupp and Nick try to determine?
4. How is Nick described in Act 1?
5. How does Joe verbally keep Tom in a subordinate position?
6. What is the setting for Act 3?
7. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
8. What is the Lady's reactions to Joe's behavior?
9. How does Tom play into Kitty's childhood dreams of what she wanted for her life?
10. What does Tom tell Kitty that he wanted to be as a small boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE is set in 1939--following the Great Depression in America and before the start of World War II. What impact did these two major events have on Saroyan? What impact did they have on his work, especially THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of life. Identify at least two themes about life in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)