|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry think his purpose is in the world?
2. What nationality is Nick?
3. Why does Nick think so many different types of people come to his bar?
4. Which one of the men dances with Kitty?
5. For what reason does Tom uncharacteristically admonish Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom behave when he discovers Kitty is a prostitute?
2. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
3. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
4. What is Joe's opinion on work and money?
5. Explain Tom's discomfort in engaging in Kitty's daydreams.
6. What are Elsie and Dudly's perspectives on loving without pain?
7. What is the setting for Act 3?
8. Why is the appearance of Nick's daughter such an emotional experience for him?
9. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
10. How does Tom react to the sailor beating on Kitty's door?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Saroyan use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE is set in 1939--following the Great Depression in America and before the start of World War II. What impact did these two major events have on Saroyan? What impact did they have on his work, especially THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE. Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in the 1930s when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
This section contains 1,863 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)