|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair does Nick, the bar owner, have?
2. Who has a black mustache that curls up on the ends?
3. Who is the woman who enters the bar and mesmerizes Tom?
4. Why does Joe decide to unexpectedly accompany Tom to see Kitty?
5. What game does Willie love to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
2. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
3. How is Harry described in Act 1?
4. What role do music and creativity play in the drama?
5. How does Joe verbally keep Tom in a subordinate position?
6. Why does Tom want to give Joe's recently purchased toys to Kitty?
7. What is the setting for Act 2?
8. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
9. How are the longshoreman, McCarthy, and the policeman, Krupp, described in Act 2?
10. What does Joe want Tom to do with the gun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is your interpretation of the play's title, THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE? Does Saroyan mean to imply that these characters are living a good life? Or is there a message he wants the reader to learn from reading about the characters? Or is it something else entirely? Support your answer with examples if possible.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study on Kitty. What does she look like? What are her positive personality traits? What are some of her negative characteristics? What are her hopes and fears? What motivates her--if anything--at this point in her life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study on Joe. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,825 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)