|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe make Tom do while the music plays?
(a) Sit and listen.
2. Why is Wesley so excited when he returns to the bar?
(a) Nick is going to pay him to play the piano.
(b) He is accepted at the college he really wants to attend.
(c) His girlfriend has come back.
(d) His home loan was approved.
3. Tom tells Joe that he has had a problem with _______________.
4. Who is the young black man to whom Nick gives a free lunch?
5. What does Tom want to give to Kitty to stop her crying?
(a) Joe's toys.
(b) A pearl necklace.
(c) A fur coat.
(d) An emerald ring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the horse Joe tells Nick to bet on?
2. What beverage does Joe buy for Kitty?
3. Who is the woman who enters the bar and mesmerizes Tom?
4. What musical instrument does Wesley play?
5. Who has a black mustache that curls up on the ends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
2. What is the bet that Joe makes with Tom?
3. What happens when Willie finally beats the marble machine?
4. How is Kitty Duval described in Act 1?
5. What gesture of kindness does Joe do for Tom which completely surprises Tom?
6. On what topic does Tom uncharacteristically challenge Joe?
7. How does Joe react to Tom's question?
8. How does the author use humor in Kit Carson's character in Act 4?
9. How is Tom described in Act 1?
10. What is the setting for Act 3?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)