|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harry wants Nick to hire him as a ________________.
(b) Disc jockey.
(d) Grill cook.
2. Tom never acknowledges that Kitty could be ______________.
(a) A hooker.
(b) A thief.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A brunette.
3. Which of the following is not something Tom associates with Joe?
(a) Going to work.
(b) Never running out of money.
(c) Having drinks.
(d) Sitting around all day.
4. Why is Wesley so excited when he returns to the bar?
(a) His home loan was approved.
(b) Nick is going to pay him to play the piano.
(c) He is accepted at the college he really wants to attend.
(d) His girlfriend has come back.
5. Who is Krupp?
(a) A baker.
(b) The mayor.
(c) An electrician.
(d) A police officer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is McCarthy?
2. What does Tom want to give to Kitty to stop her crying?
3. What song does the newsboy sing?
4. What beverage does Joe buy for Kitty?
5. What does Joe do with all the newspapers he buys from the newsboy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joe's introspective mood tonight.
2. What does Krupp think people want in their lives?
3. How are the longshoreman, McCarthy, and the policeman, Krupp, described in Act 2?
4. How does the author use humor in Kit Carson's character in Act 4?
5. How is Kitty Duval described in Act 1?
6. How is Joe described in Act 1?
7. How does the author use the different characters to show the different elements that make up American society?
8. What gesture of kindness does Joe do for Tom which completely surprises Tom?
9. How does Kitty take advantage of Tom's naivete and feelings of love for her?
10. How does Kitty respond when Nick insinuates that she is a prostitute?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)