|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Elsie, what are people incapable of protecting themselves against?
(a) The pain of loving another person.
(c) The pain of losing someone they love.
2. What does Nick do after his daughter leaves the bar?
(a) Throws a glass.
(c) Plays the phonograph.
3. Tom hears the sailor asking for _______________________.
(a) A cool room with clean sheets.
(b) The loveliest lay he's ever had.
(c) The address of a strip club.
(d) A hot meal and a pot of coffee.
4. Kitty is upset when she sees _______________________.
(a) Someone fall on the sidewalk.
(b) Her reflection in the mirror.
(c) A telegram.
(d) Her room service bill.
5. What noise is heard coming from the hallway outside Kitty's room?
6. What does Krupp claim that he wants to do out of frustration with his life?
(a) Quit his job.
(b) Take a sabbatical.
(c) Find a new career.
(d) Take a vacation.
7. Who does Nick think his daughter looks like?
(a) His mother.
(b) Greta Garbo.
(c) His dead wife.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
8. What noise does Kitty hear coming from another room?
(a) Gun shot.
9. Which of the following does Kitty not look at in the room?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) The mirror.
(c) A photo of herself.
(d) The empty walls.
10. What does Dudley do when he first sees Elsie?
(a) Makes a phone call.
(b) Grabs her.
11. Which of the following is not one of the topics Kit Carson expounds on?
(a) Being the father of so many children he doesn't know their names.
(b) His four marriages.
(c) The three wars he's been in.
(d) Whether Catholics are guaranteed a place in heaven.
12. What is McCarthy's job?
(d) Cab driver.
13. What do Harry and Wesley do when the Arab begins to play his harmonica?
(a) Yell at him to stop.
(b) Dance and play along.
(c) Throw peanuts at him.
(d) Leave the bar.
14. Which character mimics everything Nick says?
15. In what state did Kitty grow up?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom promise the sailor?
2. Joe wants to go out to get ____________________.
3. Which one of the men is in love with Kitty?
4. What was Dudley prepared to do if Elsie had not come?
5. Krupp's job is interfering with his relationship with whom?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)