* The play opens at Nick's Pacific Street Saloon Restaurant and Entertainment Palace in San Francisco, California.
* Nick, the owner of the place, is a big red haired Italian who is currently engrossed in the racing form.
* An Arab with an intense look sits in his usual place.
* A young man named Willie bursts into the bar, gulps down a beer and proceeds to the marble machine where he hopes to win.
* A newsboy enters the bar and no one buys a paper with the exception of a patron named Joe who buys all the boy's papers.
* The Arab looks at one of the newspapers and gives his stock answer to everything: "No foundation all the way down the line."
* Joe call out for someone named Tom but gets no answer.
* Tom, a large, childish looking man, enters and stands before Joe, waiting to be chastised.
* Joe questions...
This section contains 1,653 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)