|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Odilo Unverdorben's mother say when she meets him in the hospital?
(a) "Here are the papers and money you asked for."
(b) "I've been waiting for you."
(c) "You don't want to know."
(d) "Where am I?"
2. How many Hungarian Jews are at Auschwitz when Herta visits?
3. What is Odilo Unverdorben's family doing when they visit Auschwitz?
(b) Looking for Odilo's secret life.
(c) Looking for someplace to live.
(d) Touring Holocaust museums.
4. In what condition is Auschwitz when the narrator thinks Odilo Unverdorben arrives there?
(a) Thriving, with sweet smells in the air.
(b) Full of confidence in making human progress.
(c) Functional place, but no one was speaking.
(d) Dirty, with human feces everywhere.
5. How does the narrator compare Schless-Hartheim to Auschwitz?
(a) He thinks Schless-Hartheim was less modern.
(b) He thinks Schless-Hartheim was more impressive.
(c) He thinks Schless-Hartheim was much dirtier.
(d) He thinks Schless-Hartheim was less efficient.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator feel when the Schless-Hartheim camp celebrates its 5,000th patient?
2. What is Odilo Unverdorben's reasoning for visiting prostitutes?
3. What describes Odilo Unverdorben's sex life with his wife while he is working for the Waffen Secret Service?
4. Where would Odilo Unverdorben and Herta secretly kiss while they were courting?
5. How does Odilo Unverdorben's work affect his marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the irony of the narrator thinking that Odilo Unverdorben and Herta are taking apart baby furniture and un-sewing baby clothes.
2. Describe Herta's feelings about Auschwitz.
3. As Odilo Unverdorben ages, how is the narrator affected by his time at Auschwitz?
4. How does the narrator's impression of the killings at Schless-Hartheim increase the reader's sense of sympathy for the people the Nazis killed there?
5. Name four methods Odilo Unverdorben sees the Germans use to "process" the Jews?
6. How does the narrator describe the Jews' experiences at Auschwitz?
7. Describe the narrator's relationship with Odilo Unverdorben in the years before/after Odilo began to work in the camps.
8. How is the narrator right about Odilo Unverdorben's personality as a young man?
9. What are the conditions the narrator finds when Odile Unverdorben arrives at Auschwitz?
10. How does the killing change from Schless-Hartheim to Auschwitz?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)