|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Tod Friendly's body over time?
(a) He spends less and less time masturbating.
(b) He spends more and more time in the bathroom.
(c) He gets older and more infirm.
(d) He gets younger, stronger, and more virile.
2. Why are the people on the ship to America happy?
(a) They are looking forward to making a new start in Europe.
(b) They are fleeing the war-torn continent.
(c) They are anxious to get away from the troubles in America.
(d) They are going off to fight in the war.
3. What happens when the narrator has a moment of lucidity?
(a) John Young is crushing a child's hips, and the child crawls forward.
(b) John Young sleeps with Irene.
(c) John Young throws up in the toilet before spending all night in bar after bar.
(d) John Young rubs glass and blood all over a man.
4. Whom does John Young date?
(a) Patients from work.
(b) Nurses from work.
(c) Parents of the children from the hospital.
(d) Women he meets in bars.
5. Who delivers the tabloids every morning?
(a) Tod Friendly.
(b) The orderlies.
(c) The paper boy.
(d) The garbage man.
6. How does the narrator feel about eating?
(a) It fills him with pain.
(b) He is afraid of his food.
(c) He is always hungry.
(d) He is disgusted.
7. How does the narrator believe people are treated at crisis centers?
(a) People are asked questions about how satisfied they are with their care.
(b) Tod Friendly would heal them by operating on them.
(c) Mothers would arrive kicking and screaming but leave rested and happier.
(d) Pimps would heal women with their fists.
8. How old is John Young when he sails for Europe?
9. What does Tod Friendly do when he shaves?
(a) He talks to himself about his dreams.
(b) He does not shave; he is shaved by the hospital orderlies.
(c) He reads the morning paper.
(d) He refuses to look at himself in the mirror.
10. How do people speak in the narrator's experience?
(a) In languages the narrator does not understand.
(c) In code.
(d) In gibberish.
11. Where does Tod Friendly work after (in the narrator's experience) he is demoted?
(a) Guard duty.
(b) Garbage detail.
(c) Real estate.
(d) Cafeteria duty.
12. What does the narrator think Tod Friendly does in church?
(a) Takes large bills from the collection plate.
(b) Reads the newspaper, ending with the large caption.
(c) Gives toys and candy to children.
(d) Leaves a large bill in the collection plate.
13. What does the narrator think Tod Friendly would do at the food store?
(a) Buy food with his money.
(b) Return his food and get money for it.
(c) Shave and shower.
(d) Buy food with coupons.
14. Where does the narrator get his mail from?
(a) The fire.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The mailbox.
(d) The supermarket.
15. What does Tod Friendly see when he looks in the mirror?
(a) A corpse's face.
(b) The face of a mental patient.
(c) An old face full of fear.
(d) A young face full of optimism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Immigration and Naturalization Service threaten to do?
2. How many servants does Hamilton de Souza have in the villa north of Redondo?
3. What seems to the narrator to make more sense backwards?
4. What does the man in the basement apartment say when John Young says, "You were expecting me, my name is John Young"?
5. Where does Tod Friendly live in the beginning of the book?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)