|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator see upon waking at the beginning of the book?
(a) Corpses all around.
(b) Doctors all around.
(c) Main Street, USA.
(d) His house.
2. How does the narrator believe people are treated at crisis centers?
(a) Mothers would arrive kicking and screaming but leave rested and happier.
(b) Tod Friendly would heal them by operating on them.
(c) People are asked questions about how satisfied they are with their care.
(d) Pimps would heal women with their fists.
3. What kind of women does John Young prefer?
(a) Women with husbands.
(b) Women who smoke and drink.
(c) Women with diseases.
(d) Women with children.
4. What happens when the narrator has a moment of lucidity?
(a) John Young is crushing a child's hips, and the child crawls forward.
(b) John Young rubs glass and blood all over a man.
(c) John Young sleeps with Irene.
(d) John Young throws up in the toilet before spending all night in bar after bar.
5. When does Hamilton de Souza cease to talk, in the narrator's experience?
(a) When he sails for Europe.
(b) When he meets with Father Duryea in the Vatican.
(c) When he takes the name Hamilton de Souza.
(d) When he sails for Salerno, Italy.
6. Where does the taxi cab take John Young after his night of drinking?
(a) To the basement apartment.
(b) To his house.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To the Imperial Hotel.
7. Where does the narrator go when he leaves the hospital?
(a) To the tennis court, where he plays tennis.
(b) Doctors take him to Auschwitz, where he is killed.
(c) Orderlies take him on a stretcher and put him on the ground.
(d) He goes home to Main Street USA.
8. What happens to Tod Friendly's body over time?
(a) He gets older and more infirm.
(b) He gets younger, stronger, and more virile.
(c) He spends more and more time in the bathroom.
(d) He spends less and less time masturbating.
9. What does Tod Friendly see when he looks in the mirror?
(a) A corpse's face.
(b) A young face full of optimism.
(c) An old face full of fear.
(d) The face of a mental patient.
10. Whom does John Young date?
(a) Nurses from work.
(b) Parents of the children from the hospital.
(c) Women he meets in bars.
(d) Patients from work.
11. In what condition is John Young's body when he sails for Europe?
(a) He is thin from living in poverty.
(b) He is sick with apprehension about the voyage.
(c) He is healthy with a good tan.
(d) He is fat and out of shape from living in luxury.
12. How does the narrator feel about Irene?
(a) He is cool to her affection.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He is disappointed by her.
(d) He is afraid of her.
13. What are conditions like in Italy when (in the narrator's experience) Hamilton de Souza lands there?
(a) Industrialization and expansion.
(b) War and chaos.
(c) Disarray and poverty.
(d) Prosperity and contentment.
14. What does Tod Friendly do when he shaves?
(a) He does not shave; he is shaved by the hospital orderlies.
(b) He talks to himself about his dreams.
(c) He reads the morning paper.
(d) He refuses to look at himself in the mirror.
15. What does Tod Friendly dream about repeatedly?
(c) Car crashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator think that John Young begins his affairs?
2. How does the narrator feel about John Young's experience in the hospital?
3. Which war does Tod Friendly protest?
4. What does the narrator describe as an "atrocity-producing" situation?
5. What sport does Tod Friendly take up?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)