|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Immigration and Naturalization Service threaten to do?
(a) Charge John Young with adultery.
(b) Prosecute John Young for atrocities.
(c) Revoke John Young's citizenship.
(d) Revoke John Young's medical license.
2. Where does Tod Friendly live in the beginning of the book?
(c) Main Street USA.
(d) The hospital.
3. What does the narrator think Tod Friendly does in church?
(a) Reads the newspaper, ending with the large caption.
(b) Leaves a large bill in the collection plate.
(c) Takes large bills from the collection plate.
(d) Gives toys and candy to children.
4. Where does Tod Friendly work after (in the narrator's experience) he is demoted?
(a) Cafeteria duty.
(b) Guard duty.
(c) Garbage detail.
(d) Real estate.
5. What is Tod Friendly's car perched against when the narrator sees the policeman put Tod in his car?
(a) A boulder.
(b) Another car.
(c) A fire hydrant.
(d) A building.
6. When would John Young's affairs typically begin?
(a) After his lovers are beaten by their husbands.
(b) After he helps people at the hospital.
(c) A few months after he performs an abortion for his girlfriend.
(d) A few months before he performs an abortion for his girlfriend.
7. What does Irene do after she stops loving John Young?
(a) Cleans his house twice a week.
(b) Asks for forgiveness.
(c) Calls him a bad name and leave.
(d) Has an abortion.
8. What term does the narrator coin to describe the act of eating?
(a) "Going to the restaurant."
(c) "Celebration of food."
9. How does the narrator learn that a woman wants to sleep with John Young?
(a) She would call John a bad name.
(b) She would agree to go out to dinner.
(c) She would tell him that she loves him.
(d) She would talk out on him.
10. Who is the narrator thinking about when John Young is sailing to Europe?
(a) Odilo Unverdorben's mother.
(c) Father Duryea.
11. Who delivers the tabloids every morning?
(a) The orderlies.
(b) Tod Friendly.
(c) The paper boy.
(d) The garbage man.
12. When does Hamilton de Souza cease to talk, in the narrator's experience?
(a) When he sails for Salerno, Italy.
(b) When he meets with Father Duryea in the Vatican.
(c) When he takes the name Hamilton de Souza.
(d) When he sails for Europe.
13. Where does Hamilton de Souza keep his gold when he travels to Salerno, Italy?
(a) In his luggage.
(b) In his shoes.
(c) Under his hat.
(d) Underneath his shirt.
14. When could John Young see stars in the city for first time?
(a) After his black and white TV was replaced with a color TV.
(b) After cell phones disappeared from people's lives.
(c) After there started to be more and more cars on the roads.
(d) After industry had been increasing for some time.
15. Where does the narrator think that Tod Friendly finds love letters?
(a) In the old house.
(b) In the mail box.
(c) At his job.
(d) In the trash.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many forward gears does the narrator think Tod Friendly's car has?
2. In the narrator's experience, where is Tod Friendly when he begins to touch himself?
3. How do people speak in the narrator's experience?
4. What does the man in the basement apartment say when John Young says, "You were expecting me, my name is John Young"?
5. Where does the narrator get his mail from?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)