|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator think that Tod Friendly finds Irene's love letters?
(a) In the mail.
(b) In the fire.
(c) In the drawer.
(d) In the trash.
2. With whom does Hamilton de Souza meet at the Vatican?
(a) Father Duryea.
(b) Odilo Unverdorben.
(c) "The Agent."
(d) Reverend Nicholas Kreditor.
3. How many forward gears does the narrator think Tod Friendly's car has?
4. In the narrator's experience, where is Tod Friendly when he begins to touch himself?
(a) In the supermarket.
(b) In the hospital.
(c) At the tennis court.
(d) At home.
5. When Hamilton de Souza puts together the pieces of a torn picture, who does the narrator think he recognizes in the photo?
(b) His father.
(c) His child.
(d) His wife.
6. How often does John Young work out?
7. What is the name on the door where the narrator thinks that Tod Friendly has found an apartment?
(a) John Young.
(b) Tod Friendly.
(d) Nicholas Kreditor.
8. What does John Young tell the Reverend Kreditor when they meet?
(a) He describes his work at the hospital.
(b) He says that good weather is coming.
(c) He wants to help people.
(d) He says that the weather is good in Munich.
9. Where does Tod Friendly work after (in the narrator's experience) he is demoted?
(a) Garbage detail.
(b) Cafeteria duty.
(c) Guard duty.
(d) Real estate.
10. Where would John Young perform abortions on women?
(a) In the pediatric ward.
(b) In the basement apartment.
(c) At the Imperial Hotel.
(d) At their homes.
11. Where does Odilo Unverdorben pass through on his way south at the end of the war?
12. What does the old man tell Tod Friendly after the narrator sees Tod drive his car away from the fire hydrant?
(a) "I need a prescription for pain."
(b) "Your driving days are over."
(c) "I know you from somewhere."
(d) "It is your turn to discard."
13. Who is the narrator thinking about when John Young is sailing to Europe?
(a) Father Duryea.
(d) Odilo Unverdorben's mother.
14. Where does Hamilton de Souza keep his gold when he travels to Salerno, Italy?
(a) In his shoes.
(b) In his luggage.
(c) Underneath his shirt.
(d) Under his hat.
15. What kind of sense of humor does the narrator believe John Young has?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does John Young date?
2. What happens when the narrator has a moment of lucidity?
3. Where does John Young land when he reaches Europe?
4. How does Tod Friendly walk in the door to his house after he leaves the hospital?
5. What does the narrator think Tod Friendly would do at the food store?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)