|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Time Traveler see after his meal with the Eloi, when he goes outside again to look at the White Sphinx?
2. Compared to the children the Time Traveler is used to, what does he estimate the intellectual age of the Eloi to be?
3. What is the Fourth Dimension?
4. What "rises and falls" while the Time Traveler is observing from inside the time machine?
5. How does the Time Traveler determine that the time machine was taken into the base of the Sphinx?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people the Time Traveler meets in the far future in Chapter 3 look like?
2. What does the Time Traveler intend to do with Weena once he recovers the time machine?
3. What explains the fact that the time machine is in the opposite corner of his laboratory when the Time Traveler returns to his present day?
4. Describe the state of the time machine when the Time Traveler finally finds it in the base of the White Sphinx?
5. What happens when the Psychologist pushes the lever on the model time machine and how do the observers respond?
6. What does the Time Traveler find in the hall labeled Chemistry and how does it help him?
7. Describe the guests at the Time Traveler's first dinner party and what they talked about.
8. What kind of humans, according to the Time Traveler, must have been the source of the Morlocks? Why did they evolve the way they did?
9. In addition to the flowers, what other piece of tangible, physical evidence seems to offer some proof to the dinner guests that the Time Traveler may have actually traveled in time?
10. When the Earth is in perpetual twilight, the air thin and hard to breathe, and the sun is huge and red, what are the only two animals/creatures The Time Traveler sees? What do they look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel is one of the founding works of science fiction, or more specifically, one of the earliest examples of speculative fiction. Consider this novel in terms of its genre, identifying the fictional elements that are "science fictional" or speculative, and determining how Wells used speculative elements to craft a sharp critique of his own time. Be sure to include specific textual examples.
Essay Topic 2
Wells imagines a future where humanity has evolved into two separate and symbiotic species. Discuss, in detail, the biological differences Wells predicted and how selection (that is, evolutionary process) led to these differences. Be sure to use specific examples from the novel that show the "devolution" Wells has predicted and how the Time Traveler imagines it happened. While Wells may have considered this evolution "devolution," what do you think? Is this long-term view of humanity necessarily as negative as Wells's character seems to think? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the most prominent symbolic systems Wells employs in this novel is the relationship between the Eloi and the Morlock. Define and describe this relationship, using examples from the text. Be sure to include the way it works on a literal level as well as on a symbolic one.
This section contains 2,301 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)