|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Time Traveler live?
2. What is the Fourth Dimension?
3. Remarking on how dirty the Time Traveler's clothes were, the Journalist wonders whether or not the future has any of what object?
4. What is the name of the housekeeper?
5. What sound does the Time Traveler hear from deep within the shaft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Time Traveler discover about the Palace?
2. Describe the guests at the Time Traveler's first dinner party and what they talked about.
3. Inside the dark tunnel he explores in the Palace, the Time Traveler finds a carcass. What is it and what does this carcass foreshadow?
4. How does the Time Traveler describe the way the language of the Eloi sound?
5. Describe the state of the time machine when the Time Traveler finally finds it in the base of the White Sphinx?
6. What is different about the second dinner party, which is held a week after the first?
7. Describe the plan the Time Traveler comes up with to recover his time machine and escape back to the past.
8. When the Time Traveler sees the Morlocks for the first time, what does he notice about them and what conclusions about evolution does he draw?
9. What kind of food does the Time Traveler particularly crave when he returns?
10. What does the Time Traveler see and experience as he approaches his original time period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One feature of the science fiction genre is "world-building," which describes the ways an author establishes a specific and believable setting with rules of its own. One example of Wells's world-building is his extensive imaginings of Eloi culture. Describe the rules of Eloi culture, show how Wells tries to convince the reader of this culture, and examine the extent to which his fictional Eloi culture is believable, in terms of the novel. You will also want to consider the ideas dramatized by these characters and the setting established by their culture.
Essay Topic 2
This novel relies on systems of symbols, one of which is the use of light and dark. What ideas, feelings, and conflicts are symbolized by light, and which by dark? On the language level, what are the major strategies Wells uses to convey these symbols? Be sure to consider setting, characterization, figurative language, dialogue, point of view, etc.
Essay Topic 3
A major theme of this novel is entropy and decay over time and as a result of social Darwinism, or social pressures that result in changes. Define what you think the terms entropy and decay mean in terms of this novel and contextualize your analysis with examples from the book. You should be sure to consider entropy and decay in terms of the several major fictional strategies (setting, characterization, plot, language, dialogue, etc.)
This section contains 2,129 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)