|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which, of the following metals, is mentioned as part of the Time Machine?
2. According to the Time Traveler, how long did it take to make the model of the time machine?
3. Approximately how tall are the creatures?
4. Why does the Time Traveler remove something from the machine when he meets the Eloi and prepares to leave the machine?
5. What is the Fourth Dimension?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the historical (and technological) setting of this novel.
2. What political system is discussed in Chapter 1 as a possible future for humanity and why has Wells included it?
3. Why is the Time Traveler glad about what happened to Weena?
4. How does the forest fire start?
5. What does the Time Traveler discover about the Morlocks that allows him to escape the three of them in the tunnel?
6. Why does the Time Traveler begin to share the Eloi's fear of the dark?
7. When the Time Traveler started the fire, was his response to the danger of the Morlocks instinctual or intellectual? Explain your claim.
8. Describe the final creature the Time Traveler observes, in the farthest future time period he travels to (30 million years in the future).
9. Describe the point of view that takes over the story in Chapter 3?
10. Describe the plan the Time Traveler comes up with to recover his time machine and escape back to the past.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One feature of the science fiction genre is "world-building," which describes the ways an author establishes a specific and believable setting with rules of its own. One example of Wells's world-building is his extensive imaginings of Eloi culture. Describe the rules of Eloi culture, show how Wells tries to convince the reader of this culture, and examine the extent to which his fictional Eloi culture is believable, in terms of the novel. You will also want to consider the ideas dramatized by these characters and the setting established by their culture.
Essay Topic 2
Two kinds of science fiction worlds are utopias and dystopias. Define these terms. Using examples from this novel, identify which speculative elements are utopian and which are dystopic. How does Wells play with these two kinds of science fiction worlds? Finally, offer your opinion: do you consider this novel utopian, dystopian, or something else? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most prominent symbolic systems Wells employs in this novel is the relationship between the Eloi and the Morlock. Define and describe this relationship, using examples from the text. Be sure to include the way it works on a literal level as well as on a symbolic one.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)