|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what "zoological" specimen does the Time Traveler compare the color of the Morlocks' bodies?
2. What does one use to operate the model?
3. What color is the animal the Time Traveler sees in the night on the way to look for his missing time machine?
4. In which point of view is Chapter 2 told?
5. In Chapter 3, which of the following things is wrong with the time machine when the Time Traveler returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the guests at the Time Traveler's first dinner party and what they talked about.
2. What explains the fact that the time machine is in the opposite corner of his laboratory when the Time Traveler returns to his present day?
3. According to the Time Traveler, what happened when he sat in the Time Machine and pressed the lever?
4. When the Time Traveler started the fire, was his response to the danger of the Morlocks instinctual or intellectual? Explain your claim.
5. Describe the Time Traveler's appearance when he suddenly arrives during the second dinner.
6. Why does the Time Traveler take the lever out of the time machine when he lands in the far future?
7. What do the Editor and the Journalist think about the story the guests relate about the model time machine?
8. What are the Eloi doing when the Time Traveler first enters the great hall?
9. Why does the Time Traveler believe that the Eloi did not need intellect?
10. What are the physical attributes of the Eloi the Time Traveler describes? What are their features like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A major theme of this novel is entropy and decay over time and as a result of social Darwinism, or social pressures that result in changes. Define what you think the terms entropy and decay mean in terms of this novel and contextualize your analysis with examples from the book. You should be sure to consider entropy and decay in terms of the several major fictional strategies (setting, characterization, plot, language, dialogue, etc.)
Essay Topic 2
The issue of the preservation of cultural memory and transmission of history helps structure Wells's narrative. Consider the Time Traveler's experience at the Palace. In the year 802,700, what is preserved from the culture in which the Time Traveler was born? What do you think Wells wants the reader to take away from the Time Traveler's experience in this museum?
Essay Topic 3
One of the most prominent symbolic systems Wells employs in this novel is the relationship between the Eloi and the Morlock. Define and describe this relationship, using examples from the text. Be sure to include the way it works on a literal level as well as on a symbolic one.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)