|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Remarking on how dirty the Time Traveler's clothes were, the Journalist wonders whether or not the future has any of what object?
2. How much does the Editor offer to pay for the Time Traveler's story?
3. What is the "trick" the Medical Man says the Time Traveler showed them last Christmas?
4. What do the Eloi wear on their heads?
5. What does the Time Traveler judge his pace in the machine to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the point of view of the book's first two chapters.
2. Describe the final creature the Time Traveler observes, in the farthest future time period he travels to (30 million years in the future).
3. What does the Time Traveler see when he stops the machine in the far future in Chapter 3?
4. What is one possible reason the Time Traveler postulates for the physical changes from humans to Eloi?
5. Where (in terms of to which time period/what kind of time period) does the narrator assume that the Time Traveler has traveled to at the end of the novel?
6. Inside the dark tunnel he explores in the Palace, the Time Traveler finds a carcass. What is it and what does this carcass foreshadow?
7. Describe the guests at the Time Traveler's first dinner party and what they talked about.
8. What do the Editor and the Journalist think about the story the guests relate about the model time machine?
9. What does the Time Traveler find when he begins to explore the Palace of Green Porcelain in the Southwest?
10. What does the Time Traveler discover about the Morlocks that allows him to escape the three of them in the tunnel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The issue of the preservation of cultural memory and transmission of history helps structure Wells's narrative. Consider the Time Traveler's experience at the Palace. In the year 802,700, what is preserved from the culture in which the Time Traveler was born? What do you think Wells wants the reader to take away from the Time Traveler's experience in this museum?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Weena seems to be a main character, she is someone without language, someone with little agency, and is not even human. Explain the ways in which Wells characterizes Weena and determine the specific strategies he employs to distance her from the reader. What ideas does her characterization dramatize? What does she "represent" and do you consider her a main or major character in this novel? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the most prominent symbolic systems Wells employs in this novel is the relationship between the Eloi and the Morlock. Define and describe this relationship, using examples from the text. Be sure to include the way it works on a literal level as well as on a symbolic one.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)