|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what geographical formation does the Time Traveler find himself in the far future?
(a) A waterfall.
(b) A mesa.
(c) A chasm.
(d) A hilltop.
2. What frightens the Time Traveler badly enough to make him flee the underground lair of the Morlocks?
(a) He feels things slithering over his feet.
(b) He hears screams.
(c) He feels them grabbing him and touching him.
(d) He smells fear.
3. What does the Time Traveler remove from the time machine when he prepares to follow the Eloi?
(c) The saddle.
4. Where does the Time Traveler live?
5. What is the air temperature in this far future?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Time Traveler judge his pace in the machine to be?
2. What year does the Time Traveler estimate he has traveled to before he actually reports what exact year the machine recorded?
3. The Time Traveler assumes that his voice is too what for the Eloi?
4. What adjective does the Time Traveler use to describe the hair color of the Morlocks?
5. What "rises and falls" while the Time Traveler is observing from inside the time machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people the Time Traveler meets in the far future in Chapter 3 look like?
2. What makes The Time Traveler push the lever again and leave the time period with the two creatures and the large, red sun?
3. Why, according to the Time Traveler, is the Fourth Dimension overlooked?
4. Describe the state of the time machine when the Time Traveler finally finds it in the base of the White Sphinx?
5. To the narrator, what do the strange white flowers seem to symbolize at the end of the novel?
6. Describe the historical (and technological) setting of this novel.
7. What is different about the second dinner party, which is held a week after the first?
8. What does the Time Traveler discover about the Palace?
9. Why are the characters primarily represented by the name of their profession rather than their actual names?
10. What happens after the Time Traveler mimics the clap of thunder that accompanied his arrival in Chapter 4?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)