|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With which institution is Professor Simon Newcomb affiliated?
(a) Royal Society of Magicians.
(b) New York Time Travel Society.
(c) Royal Society of Learned Mathematicians.
(d) New York Mathematical Society.
2. Upon what geographical formation does the Time Traveler find himself in the far future?
(a) A hilltop.
(b) A waterfall.
(c) A mesa.
(d) A chasm.
3. In which direction is the Palace of Green Porcelain?
(b) Due North.
(c) Due South.
4. Which, of the following metals, is mentioned as part of the Time Machine?
5. How does the Time Traveler determine that the time machine was taken into the base of the Sphinx?
(a) He smells burnt metal.
(b) He finds marks and footprints.
(c) The Eloi read him a note they found.
(d) He can see it through the windows in the base of the statue.
Short Answer Questions
1. Remarking on how dirty the Time Traveler's clothes were, the Journalist wonders whether or not the future has any of what object?
2. Why does the Time Traveler remove something from the machine when he meets the Eloi and prepares to leave the machine?
3. What year does the Time Traveler estimate he has traveled to before he actually reports what exact year the machine recorded?
4. Approximately how many Eloi are there in the great hall?
5. On what day of the week did the guests come for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where (in terms of to which time period/what kind of time period) does the narrator assume that the Time Traveler has traveled to at the end of the novel?
2. What happens to Weena in the forest fire?
3. What political system is discussed in Chapter 1 as a possible future for humanity and why has Wells included it?
4. Describe the point of view of the book's first two chapters.
5. What is the narrator's outlook on the future at the end of the novel?
6. Why does the Time Traveler feel instinctual hatred for and fear of the Morlocks?
7. Describe the historical (and technological) setting of this novel.
8. What kind of food does the Time Traveler particularly crave when he returns?
9. When the Earth is in perpetual twilight, the air thin and hard to breathe, and the sun is huge and red, what are the only two animals/creatures The Time Traveler sees? What do they look like?
10. Why does the Time Traveler take the lever out of the time machine when he lands in the far future?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)