|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Time Traveler determine that the time machine was taken into the base of the Sphinx?
(a) He smells burnt metal.
(b) He finds marks and footprints.
(c) The Eloi read him a note they found.
(d) He can see it through the windows in the base of the statue.
2. To what "zoological" specimen does the Time Traveler compare the color of the Morlocks' bodies?
3. Why, does the Time Traveler imagine, the Eloi all want to touch him?
(a) To see if he is made of metal.
(b) To see what he will taste like.
(c) To be sure he is real.
(d) To keep warm.
4. The Time Traveler recognizes the landscape of the Eloi as the valley of what river from his own time?
(a) The Thames.
(b) The Mississippi.
(c) The Danube.
(d) The Floss.
5. What does the Time Traveler find when he attempts to climb down into one of the Morlocks' shafts or tunnels?
(a) There is an elevator.
(b) There are metal rods like a ladder.
(c) There are steps cut into the ground.
(d) There is a rope to climb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Fourth Dimension?
2. Why does the Time Traveler think that it was not the Eloi who moved the time machine?
3. Where does the Time Traveler store the object(s) he removes from the time machine?
4. The Time Traveler assumes that his voice is too what for the Eloi?
5. What is the first thing the Time Traveler drinks at the second dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of humans, according to the Time Traveler, must have been the source of the Morlocks? Why did they evolve the way they did?
2. What makes The Time Traveler push the lever again and leave the time period with the two creatures and the large, red sun?
3. Why is the Time Traveler glad about what happened to Weena?
4. What are the physical attributes of the Eloi the Time Traveler describes? What are their features like?
5. What explains the fact that the time machine is in the opposite corner of his laboratory when the Time Traveler returns to his present day?
6. Where (in terms of to which time period/what kind of time period) does the narrator assume that the Time Traveler has traveled to at the end of the novel?
7. What are the Eloi doing when the Time Traveler first enters the great hall?
8. Why does the Time Traveler feel instinctual hatred for and fear of the Morlocks?
9. What does the Time Traveler see and experience as he approaches his original time period?
10. Why does the Time Traveler eventually stop the machine?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)