|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of day does the time machine begin its day, according to the Time Traveler?
(a) 12:00 A.M..
(b) 10:00 A.M.
(c) 4:00 A.M..
(d) 2:00 A.M..
2. Upon what geographical formation does the Time Traveler find himself in the far future?
(a) A chasm.
(b) A hilltop.
(c) A waterfall.
(d) A mesa.
3. Approximately how many Eloi are there in the great hall?
(a) Between 500 and 1000.
(b) Several thousand.
(c) About 75.
(d) A couple hundred.
4. Why, does the Time Traveler imagine, the Eloi all want to touch him?
(a) To see if he is made of metal.
(b) To see what he will taste like.
(c) To be sure he is real.
(d) To keep warm.
5. What does the Time Traveler ask his guests to save for him while he changes?
(c) Greenbean casserole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the texture of the Eloi's hair?
2. What is the name of the housekeeper?
3. The narrator mentions that if another character had shown them the time machine, they would not be as skeptical as they were of the Time Traveler. Which other character does he mention?
4. What shape are the tables in the Time Traveler's room?
5. Where does the Time Traveler live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Time Traveler take the lever out of the time machine when he lands in the far future?
2. What makes The Time Traveler push the lever again and leave the time period with the two creatures and the large, red sun?
3. What kind of food does the Time Traveler particularly crave when he returns?
4. What happens when the Psychologist pushes the lever on the model time machine and how do the observers respond?
5. What do the people the Time Traveler meets in the far future in Chapter 3 look like?
6. Describe the plan the Time Traveler comes up with to recover his time machine and escape back to the past.
7. What leads the Time Traveler to believe that his time machine has been taken into the White Sphinx?
8. When the Earth is in perpetual twilight, the air thin and hard to breathe, and the sun is huge and red, what are the only two animals/creatures The Time Traveler sees? What do they look like?
9. What happens after the Time Traveler mimics the clap of thunder that accompanied his arrival in Chapter 4?
10. What do the Editor and the Journalist think about the story the guests relate about the model time machine?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)