|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the animal the Time Traveler sees in the night on the way to look for his missing time machine?
2. Inside the machine, it seems as if the housekeeper walks from one end of the room to the other like what object?
(a) A snail.
(b) A turtle.
(c) A rocket.
(d) A bullet.
3. To what "zoological" specimen does the Time Traveler compare the color of the Morlocks' bodies?
4. Where does the Time Traveler store the object(s) he removes from the time machine?
(a) Around his wrist.
(b) In his pocket.
(c) In his knapsack.
(d) In a hole in the ground.
5. What "rises and falls" while the Time Traveler is observing from inside the time machine?
(a) A winged sphinx.
(d) The tide.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Time Traveler remarks in Chapter 4 that the first Eloi he sees has a strange absence of what instinct?
2. Of what material does the Sphinx appear to be made?
3. What is the name of the housekeeper?
4. What sound does the Time Traveler hear from deep within the shaft?
5. Compared to the children the Time Traveler is used to, what does he estimate the intellectual age of the Eloi to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the historical (and technological) setting of this novel.
2. What do the people the Time Traveler meets in the far future in Chapter 3 look like?
3. Describe the plan the Time Traveler comes up with to recover his time machine and escape back to the past.
4. What does the Time Traveler do with the white flowers Weena picked?
5. What leads the Time Traveler to believe that his time machine has been taken into the White Sphinx?
6. Why does the Time Traveler take the lever out of the time machine when he lands in the far future?
7. Describe the Time Traveler's reaction to the fact that his machine has been moved into the White Sphinx; what action does he undertake, if any, to recover the machine?
8. What do the Editor and the Journalist think about the story the guests relate about the model time machine?
9. What does the Time Traveler discover about the Palace?
10. Describe the point of view of the book's first two chapters.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)