|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stern learn about how the travelers are reconstituted?
2. Who is Sir Guy de Malegant?
3. What does Gomez do with the extra nav marker?
4. To whom does Sir Oliver wish to marry Lady Claire?
5. What is sent to other universes to enable one to travel there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Short of wearing a wig, what is Kate's only option for disguise?
2. About what does Doniger remind the group in order to get them to agree to travel?
3. What good news/bad news does Diane Kramer give Doniger?
4. How does Chris take the traveling?
5. What does Gordon explain about the nav button Sue Gomez carries?
6. What does Stern explain to the others while they are riding to Black Rock?
7. What surprises Chris about his bath?
8. What does Marek notice about the doors as they descend, and what does Gordon explain about them?
9. What is the first defensive weapon Gordon gives each traveler?
10. What particular unanswered question bothers David Stern, and what is Doniger's reaction to David's question?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
a. Fully explain why you think Timeline is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
b. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
c. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
d. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
The individuals who appear in the 14th Century are Kate, Chris, and Marek from another universe. They are nearly identical people, but they are not the same. The friends Stern knows have been irrevocably destroyed. The Professor, unaware of this technical detail, somehow seems to sense that he is not where he belongs. His comment about Marek living in a world not his own can be linked to a subconscious instinct that he, too, is out of his element.
a. How do you think Kate, Chris and Marek feel about being alive in a universe different from their own?
b. Do you think if you were in Stern’s position you would feel awkward around Chris, Kate and Marek? Why or why not?
c. Do you think the Professor is correct about his ideas concerning Marek? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The American brokers' ignorance grates on Marek, who believes "the modern world was invented in the Middle Ages. Everything from the legal system, to nation-states, to reliance on technology, to the concept of romantic love had first been established in medieval times. These stockbrokers owed the very notion of a market economy to the Middle Ages."
a. Compare the legal systems in place today in modern America to the system shown in Timeline.
b. Discuss the ways in which the feudal system relates to the system of nations that exist today.
c. Do you think the stockbrokers would be better at their jobs if they knew more of the historyof the market economy? Why or why not?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)