|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sue Gomez do in the travel room?
2. Where does Kate follow Chris and Marek?
3. To whom does the boy in the chapter “Castelgard” lead Chris?
4. By what are Kate and Marek surprised when they enter Castelgard?
5. Why does Kate have to wear a wig?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kate's state of mind change, and what does that help her to do?
2. What happens almost immediately to Gomez and Baretto in the chapter “Castelgard”?
3. What does Stern explain to the others while they are riding to Black Rock?
4. What kind of clothing are the travelers given?
5. How does Doniger explain the Professor's absence?
6. Why is Marek dismayed that Chris picks up Sir Guy's glove?
7. What is the first defensive weapon Gordon gives each traveler?
8. What does the maid explain to Chris about Lady Claire?
9. What happens to Doniger in the end?
10. How does Marek react to Chris and David's decisions not to go on the mission?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
a. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
b. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
c. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
d. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The individuals who appear in the 14th Century are Kate, Chris, and Marek from another universe. They are nearly identical people, but they are not the same. The friends Stern knows have been irrevocably destroyed. The Professor, unaware of this technical detail, somehow seems to sense that he is not where he belongs. His comment about Marek living in a world not his own can be linked to a subconscious instinct that he, too, is out of his element.
a. How do you think Kate, Chris and Marek feel about being alive in a universe different from their own?
b. Do you think if you were in Stern’s position you would feel awkward around Chris, Kate and Marek? Why or why not?
c. Do you think the Professor is correct about his ideas concerning Marek? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
a. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Timeline.
b. Trace and analyze one major theme of Timeline. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
c. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Timeline. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)