|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lessons does Marek take?
2. What does the proton magnetometer do?
3. What happens if Marek does not get past the t-bar quickly enough?
4. Who takes responsibility for notifying ITC of the death of the old man?
5. Why does Chris add fortifications to the model he makes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Doniger order Gordon to have a security officer do?
2. What does the MRI on Traub reveal?
3. How does one get onto the board of ITC?
4. How do Chris and Stern inadvertently find a tower foundation, and how does Chris react?
5. What indications are there that ITC's luck with quantum research has failed?
6. What does Marek explain about the proton magnetometer?
7. What does the Professor believe ITC has done concerning the Dordogne site?
8. What does Dan Baker want to do when traveling on a poor, rutted road in Arizona and how does that differ from his wife's desires?
9. What does Wauneka show the Bakers that was in the old man's pocket, and what does Liz say about the drawing?
10. What small problem does Francois Bellin mention to the Professor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
a. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Timeline.
b. Trace and analyze one major theme of Timeline. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
c. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Timeline. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
a. Compare/contrast the characters of Marek and Chris. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
b. Compare/contrast the characters of Kate and Lady Claire. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
c. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Timeline help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
a. Fully explain why you think Timeline is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
b. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
c. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
d. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)