|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sophie do when she sees Chris get distracted and hit?
2. Upon what is Liz intent to acquire?
3. To what does Liz seem oblivious?
4. What does Arnaut de Cervole decimate on a rampage with other renegade knights?
5. What does Louise Delvert say that alarms Professor Johnston?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kramer pressure the Professor to do?
2. Why do the workers have to wear filter masks at the digging site?
3. What does Marek explain about the proton magnetometer?
4. What small problem does Francois Bellin mention to the Professor?
5. What does Dan Baker want to do when traveling on a poor, rutted road in Arizona and how does that differ from his wife's desires?
6. How does one get onto the board of ITC?
7. What alarms the Professor about the ITC's dealings concerning the Dordogne Site?
8. What does Dan notice about the old man's body when Dan lifts him into the car?
9. What do the orderlies notice about the old man's shirt?
10. What does Marek say about the strategic importance of the Dordogne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michael Crichton, in his signature style, blends scientific fact with fiction in Timeline. The introduction is designed to lay the groundwork for his theme of scientific hubris. Crichton establishes a parallel between the arrogant shortsightedness of late 19th Century scientists and the equally arrogant, shortsighted scientists of the late 20th Century.
a. Discuss three examples of Crichton blending scientific fact with fiction in Timeline.
b. Discuss what is meant by the term scientific hubris in the above paragraph.
c. Compare one incident of scientific shortsightedness in the 19th Century to one in the late 20th Century. This may require research.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
a. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
b. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
c. Which three secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
d. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
a. Trace and analyze the theme of the importance of history in Timeline. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with history? Why? What are some symbols of history? Symbols of time? What characters seem to not care about history? Are there any characters who want to use history for their own benefit?
b. Trace and analyze the theme of scientific arrogance in Timeline. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to be arrogant? Why? Are all the arrogant characters scientists?
c. Trace and analyze the theme of technology in Timeline. Consider what technology is shown, how it is used, how it is abused, what is positive about it and what is negative about it.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)