|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police find in Si's room at the boarding house?
2. On his first morning at the boarding house, why is Si deliberately late for breakfast?
3. What is Si concerned about if Julia goes back to her own time?
4. What reputation does Chief of Police Byrnes have with the tenants at the boarding house?
5. After spending another day in 1882, what does Si decide about the people who live there?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after the fire, when Si and Julia see Carmody again, what is his condition?
2. Why is Jake happy to see Si again in Chapter 17?
3. Where are Julia and Si when Si tells her the truth of who he is?
4. After taking Julia to his apartment in the present, what makes Si realize he has to take Julia back to her own time?
5. During the board discussion about affects of time travel on the future, what two opposing points of view do Danziger and Esterhazy express?
6. When Julia asks Si to sketch her, why do you think Si was nervous about doing so?
7. What is "The Tweed Ring"?
8. Who is Jake Pickering and why is he not happy to meet Si?
9. Who does Si tell Julia he is?
10. Why might a woman in Julia's time feel that marrying a man who is a good provider is more important than anything else?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ruben first meets Si, he explains the agency's purpose and then tells Si the agency, without his knowledge, checked into Si's background. Is it ethical for a company to check a potential employee's background without asking their permission first? Would you work for a company if you found out they had secretly checked your background? Ruben said the agency felt Si was a good candidate for the job because of his background, does that fact change how you feel about the agency's background check practices?
Essay Topic 2
At the start of Si's employment with the agency, the scientists involved insisted that the time travelers be very careful not to change history. What made the scientists change their mind about this policy? Do you think the scientists had good motives in asking Si to change history? Relate a benefit to changing history. Relate a possible side effect in changing history.
Essay Topic 3
After a man is eliminated from history, due to the time travel project, Esterhazy expresses his feelings that the risks of time travel to the future is minimal and the project should continue. Danziger, on the other hand, feels that even the smallest risk is too much and the project should be shut down. If you had been on the agency's board of directors who would you have sided with and why?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)