|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Carmody tells Chief of Police Byrnes his story, what does he admit?
2. Why does Si insist that Julia return home?
3. Who is Jake Pickering?
4. When Si goes for a ride on the top of a bus, what does the bus driver talk about?
5. After spending another day in 1882, what does Si decide about the people who live there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personality traits to Esterhazy and Jake Pickering have in common?
2. Why is Jake happy to see Si again in Chapter 17?
3. When Si returns to the agency after his day off, why is everyone there distracted?
4. After taking Julia to his apartment in the present, what makes Si realize he has to take Julia back to her own time?
5. Who opens the door to Si at 19 Gramercy Park and how does Si describe that individual?
6. Why might a woman in Julia's time feel that marrying a man who is a good provider is more important than anything else?
7. Who is Jake Pickering and why is he not happy to meet Si?
8. What connection does Julia make between the boots in Jake's room and Carmody?
9. What is the Ladies' Mile?
10. As Si and Julia hide in a corner of Jake's office, what happens between Carmody and Jake?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the start of Si's employment with the agency, the scientists involved insisted that the time travelers be very careful not to change history. What made the scientists change their mind about this policy? Do you think the scientists had good motives in asking Si to change history? Relate a benefit to changing history. Relate a possible side effect in changing history.
Essay Topic 2
What part of Si's description of 1882 New York did you find most fascinating? If you could travel back to New York in 1882 for one day, what would you on that day? How would your everyday life be different if you lived in 1882?
Essay Topic 3
Most stories have a "bad guy," or antagonist. In Time and Again there were two; one in the present and one in the past. Who were the two antagonists and, though they lived in different times, how are they the same? How are they different?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)