|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Simon work?
2. What concerns does the board of directors have about Si's trips to the past?
3. How does Katie help Si with his job training?
4. How does Ruben know that Katie went with Si into the past?
5. What is Si shown to help him relate to people in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Si meet Katie?
2. Si finds out two things happened in January, 1882. What were they?
3. Why did Si accept Ruben's job offer after his outing with Katie?
4. Why is it crucial to Si's job that he learn to hypnotize himself?
5. Why does Si repeatedly look out the windows of his room in the Dakota and why does he stop looking out of them?
6. How is the fact that Si sees a woman with smallpox scars on her face in the past relevant to the relationship between past and present times?
7. On the walls of Katie's shop Si notices several photographs, what does he think of them?
8. When Si returns to the agency in the present time in Chapter 11, why do the scientists quiz him about his trip to the past?
9. What detail about the project being government funded does Esterhazy relate to Si?
10. Describe the individual Katie and Si see mailing the letter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the night of the fire at Jake's office, Si and Julia lament afterward that they were somehow responsible for the fire. Do you think they were responsible? Use evidence from the book in your answer and include your thoughts on the following two points: 1) Si could have helped Jake try and put out the fire; 2) Si could have broken up the argument between Carmody and Jake before it escalated out of control.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Ruben's job at the agency. If you were Si would you have trusted Ruben? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Ruben first meets Si, he explains the agency's purpose and then tells Si the agency, without his knowledge, checked into Si's background. Is it ethical for a company to check a potential employee's background without asking their permission first? Would you work for a company if you found out they had secretly checked your background? Ruben said the agency felt Si was a good candidate for the job because of his background, does that fact change how you feel about the agency's background check practices?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)