|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes charge of the agency after Danziger leaves?
(a) The president.
(b) Dr. Rossoff.
2. What day is it at the beginning of Chapter 18?
(a) The day Carmody and Jake are scheduled to meet.
(b) Si's birthday.
(c) The day Si finds out who delivered Carmody's letter.
(d) Jake and Julia's wedding day.
3. During dinner on his first night at the boarding house, why does Julia look curiously at Si?
(a) Si doesn't know how to play birthday games.
(b) Si doesn't understand everything that's going on.
(c) It's obvious that Si is not from New York.
(d) Si has a funny laugh.
4. What is the relationship between Jake and Julia?
(a) They're brother and sister.
(b) They're engaged.
(c) There is no relationship between them.
(d) They're friends.
5. What is Si concerned about if Julia goes back to her own time?
(a) That he won't see her again.
(b) What Carmody and Byrnes will do to her.
(c) That she'll have to lie about where she's been.
(d) That she'll marry Jake.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Carmody tells Chief of Police Byrnes his story, what does he admit?
2. What does the sign in the window of 19 Gramercy Park reveal about the house there?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 12, what place does Si make two sketches of?
4. What does Felix Grier do for a living?
5. After listening in on Jake and Carmody, where does Si go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Ladies' Mile?
2. When Si visits 19 Gramercy Park in the present, what might he have hoped to learn by asking the young woman who answered the door if she knew of Julia?
3. When Jake returns to the boarding house why is his shirt blood stained?
4. After taking Julia to his apartment in the present, what makes Si realize he has to take Julia back to her own time?
5. When Si returns to the past again in Chapter 17, what is the difference in his attitude about life in 1882?
6. What is "The Tweed Ring"?
7. Who is Jake Pickering and why is he not happy to meet Si?
8. Why might a woman in Julia's time feel that marrying a man who is a good provider is more important than anything else?
9. When Chapter 12 opens with Si in the past, what two sketches does he make?
10. How does Si learn that Carmody is motivated by social advancement?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)