|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Tarin?
2. When Orual sees her father through her Stepmother's eyes, she believes that his appearance will not. . .
3. What is Psyche's one true fear about the sacrifice on the Mountain?
4. What news does the King deliver to his daughters and the Fox while they are studying?
5. At the start of the chapter, Orual determines to. . .
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the King's reasons for sacrificing Psyche?
2. Why does Bardia eventually allow Orual into Psyche's room?
3. Describe Orual's childhood.
4. What reasons does the Fox have for wanting to commit suicide?
5. What is Redival's purpose in visiting the temple so frequently?
6. Why does the war with Tarin's father seem to "leave a stench?"
7. What happens to Orual when she hears that Psyche is to be sacrificed?
8. What "deaths" does Psyche list for Orual as a part of a mortal life?
9. What is Orual's growing fear throughout the chapter?
10. What is Orual's biggest struggle in chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of gender in shaping the world of Till We Have Faces? Write an essay in which you analyze how gender defines the main characters and to what degree these characters transcend (or are limited by) their gender identity.
Essay Topic 2
If we assume that Lewis writes Till We Have Faces to communicate some virtue or virtues, what might they be? Write an essay in which you identify Lewis' definition of goodness and how he communicates these values in his novel.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following thematic elements, and discuss why you think it is the most important in the text:
1) Logic vs. Faith
2) Ugliness vs. Beauty
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)