|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bardia offers to accompany Orual up the Mountain. Why?
2. What news does the King deliver to his daughters and the Fox while they are studying?
3. Orual first believes Redival is the Accursed because. . .
4. What happens to Tarin?
5. Why has the Fox been allowed such freedom with the King's daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the discord grows between the sisters, what is happening to the kingdom of Glome?
2. Why does the war with Tarin's father seem to "leave a stench?"
3. How has the palace changed since Orual came out of the Pillar Room?
4. Why does the Fox suggest that Orual needs a dose of hellebore too?
5. The Fox has taught Orual and Psyche to believe what about the people they will encounter daily?
6. How do Orual and the Fox end up "babysitting" Redival?
7. Why does Psyche's mention of "He" anger Orual?
8. Describe the reasons Orual is prevented from seeing Pscyhe for a final time at her burial.
9. Why is Bardia the guard at Psyche's door?
10. Why is Orual contemptuous of men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the possession and use of power in Till We Have Faces. Who has power? How is it employed? Then write an essay in which you identify Lewis's attitude toward the powerful.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the journey Orual takes up the mountain, examining the symbolic meaning behind three of the following:
A) The steep ascent.
B) The hills and valleys between Glome and the Mountain.
C) The black valley.
D) The secret valley of the god.
Essay Topic 3
If we assume that Lewis writes Till We Have Faces to communicate some virtue or virtues, what might they be? Write an essay in which you identify Lewis' definition of goodness and how he communicates these values in his novel.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)