|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What thoughts has Orual repeated about the gods throughout the story?
2. Orual is comforted by the fire and food at her camp with Bardia. Why?
3. Orual describes Psyche's youth as her own "best times" for which reason?
4. When does Orual first understand that she is ugly?
5. Orual's comparison of the Priest to a vulture foreshadows
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Orual hope to use Trunia and Redival to bring peace to Glome and Phars?
2. How is Orual persuaded not to kill herself?
3. Why does the Fox suggest that Orual needs a dose of hellebore too?
4. Why do Orual and the Fox sense misfortune for Psyche?
5. How does Bardia hurt Orual's feelings?
6. How are people's attitudes changing toward Psyche?
7. The Fox has taught Orual and Psyche to believe what about the people they will encounter daily?
8. What has prepared Orual to rule as queen of Glome?
9. What kind of relationship does Orual have with her father?
10. What complaints does Orual make of the Gods during her trial?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the journey Orual takes up the mountain, examining the symbolic meaning behind three of the following:
A) The steep ascent.
B) The hills and valleys between Glome and the Mountain.
C) The black valley.
D) The secret valley of the god.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the possession and use of power in Till We Have Faces. Who has power? How is it employed? Then write an essay in which you identify Lewis's attitude toward the powerful.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following topics for discussion in essay form:
1) Is Orual a selfish or selfless character? Why? Support your answer with examples.
2) Does the Fox's wisdom serve the girls well? Choose examples to support your answer.
3) Which characters show courage in the novel?
This section contains 1,619 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)