|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Redival want in exchange for her secrecy about Psyche's worship by the people?
(a) Her mother's necklace and a king for a husband
(b) Freedom from the kingdom and Pysche's loyalty
(c) To worship at the house of Ungit
(d) Her own home and to marry Tarin
2. What proof does Batta offer that the people have stopped worshiping Psyche?
(a) The people believe she will smite them with thunder.
(b) The people believe she has starved them.
(c) The people are shocked to see her walk the streets alone.
(d) The people believe she spread the plague by touching them.
3. Orual begins her story on the day. . .
(a) Psyche was born.
(b) the prince was born.
(c) her stepmother came to them.
(d) her mother died.
4. What does Orual call the greatest shame of her life?
(a) The king's relief when he hears someone else is to be sacrificed.
(b) The king's suggestion that Orual be sacrificed.
(c) The king's suggestion that Psyche be sacrificed.
(d) The king's insistence that he be sacrificed.
5. Orual is comforted by the fire and food at her camp with Bardia. Why?
(a) It simplifies her situation and allows her to concentrate on mortal things.
(b) It reminds her that she has been right all along.
(c) It soothes the bruises from her fight with Psyche.
(d) It makes her feel safe from the lions and Mountain beasts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has changed about the King since he beat Orual in chapter 5?
2. What is the thing Psyche felt most ashamed of during her first visit to the palace?
3. Why is the Fox not downcast about being a slave?
4. What thoughts does Orual repress when resolving to save Psyche?
5. For what reason does Orual delay her trip to the Mountain to bury Psyche?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Fox's personality.
2. What does Psyche's helping Orual across the stream represent?
3. What is Redival's purpose in visiting the temple so frequently?
4. Orual calls the love she feels for Psyche "deeper than theirs who seek only the happiness of their beloved." What does this imply about Orual's former thoughts on leaving Psyche to her happiness?
5. What kind of relationship does Orual have with her father?
6. Why does Psyche's mention of "He" anger Orual?
7. What is the purpose of the Priest's visit?
8. Bardia's suggestion that he and Orual sleep back to back like soldiers teaches Orual what about herself?
9. What is the lesson the Fox expresses about Nature, or the Whole, in chapter 8?
10. How do Orual and the Fox end up "babysitting" Redival?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)