|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orual not share her vision with the Fox when she relays the meeting with Psyche?
(a) She knows the Fox would dismiss it and make her feel ashamed.
(b) She knows the Fox has heard the story before.
(c) She knows the Fox would think Psyche had convinced her of the story.
(d) She knows the Fox would demand to see it himself.
2. Before the King can banish the Fox to the mines, what event intercedes?
(a) The Fox poisons himself.
(b) Messenger from Caphad declares war.
(c) Messengers from Phars arrive to meet with the King.
(d) Orual and the Fox run away.
3. What does Redival want in exchange for her secrecy about Psyche's worship by the people?
(a) Her mother's necklace and a king for a husband
(b) Her own home and to marry Tarin
(c) Freedom from the kingdom and Pysche's loyalty
(d) To worship at the house of Ungit
4. Orual is comforted by the fire and food at her camp with Bardia. Why?
(a) It soothes the bruises from her fight with Psyche.
(b) It reminds her that she has been right all along.
(c) It simplifies her situation and allows her to concentrate on mortal things.
(d) It makes her feel safe from the lions and Mountain beasts.
5. What potential problem is rising between Redival and Psyche?
(a) Redival wants to marry the King of Grey Mountain.
(b) Psyche is much more beautiful than Redival.
(c) Redival wants attention from Orual and the Fox.
(d) Psyche has fallen in love with Redival's betrothed soldier.
6. Who recognizes Orual's grief and offers her an outlet through training at swords?
(a) The Fox
(c) The King
7. In the Fox's story of Aphrodite and Anchises, why does Aphrodite have to "dim her glory?"
(a) Anchises is a god and wants to love a mortal.
(b) She is a goddess and wants to beguile a mortal.
(c) The lions, lynxes, and bears followed her down the mountain.
(d) The goddess Ida would be terribly jealous of her.
8. What emotion does Orual express most when discussing their father, the King?
9. What is the king's reaction when the people demand to see Psyche?
(a) He is compassionate and allows her to go.
(b) He is compassionate, but she refuses to go.
(c) He is angry and refuses to let her go.
(d) He is angry but sends her to them anyway.
10. The Fox suggests Pscyhe's lover is. . .
(a) a figment of her imagination.
(b) a vagabond, madman, outlaw, or thief.
(d) the Priest of Ungit.
11. What prevents Orual from following Psyche up the Mountain?
(a) The King has locked her in the tower.
(b) The temple girls prevent her from going.
(c) She is too weak from her beatings to follow.
(d) She is too angry at Psyche to follow.
12. Why will the King not hear the Fox's solutions?
(a) He wants to save himself and his crown.
(b) He wants to save Psyche on his own.
(c) He wants to dishonor Psyche.
(d) He does not trust the Fox.
13. When Bardia suggests they sleep back to back to ward off the cold, Orual. . .
(a) is insulted that Bardia thinks she is ugly.
(b) refuses and returns to Glome.
(d) gets angry.
14. What sacrifice does the Priest say Ungit demands?
(a) They must kill the men of Essur.
(b) They must kill the Brute.
(c) They must make an offering of bulls and rams.
(d) They must kill the Accursed in an offering.
15. The fact that Orual cannot see the Psyche's palace implies that. . .
(a) Psyche cannot see the palace either.
(b) Orual does not have the faith that is required to see it.
(c) Psyche is trying to deceive Orual.
(d) Orual does not want to believe in gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens Orual most about the Priest of Ungit?
2. What is the thing Psyche felt most ashamed of during her first visit to the palace?
3. What thought is unexpectedly bothering Orual?
4. As she regards the vision, Orual begins to believe what?
5. The King does not believe Orual loves Psyche because. . .
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)