|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Calchas, why must Polyxena and Astyanax die?
(a) Their deaths will ensure a safe voyage home for the Greeks.
(b) They have the plague.
(c) Apollo demands that they die or he will kill the Greeks.
(d) They pose too much of a threat to the Greeks.
2. Why does Helen claim she is in a worse position than the Trojan women?
(a) She will be forced back to Menelaus in chains.
(b) She is cursed by the gods.
(c) She is pregnant by Paris and Menelaus will doubtlessly kill the child.
(d) The Trojans and the Greeks both hate her.
3. In the fourth act of "Oedipus," what does the titular character recall before his arrival in the city?
(a) He killed a man on his way there.
(b) He nearly died on his journey to the city.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He was warned away from Thebes by Zeus.
4. How did Astyanax's bravery affect Ulysses and the Greeks?
(a) They saluted him.
(b) They prayed to the gods for mercy.
(c) They mocked him.
(d) They cried out of pity,
5. What actions did the old shepherd perform before the beginning of "Oedipus"?
(a) He took Oedipus as a baby to the Corinthian messenger.
(b) He cursed Oedipus with the prophecy.
(c) He killed Laius.
(d) He blessed Oedipus upon his birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Oedipus defeat before the start of the play?
2. Why is Oedipus fearful of returning to his homeland?
3. About what does a Trojan elder instruct Andromache to lie?
4. What does the messenger reveal that Oedipus refuses to do in the fifth act?
5. Why is Pyrrhus angry at Agamemnon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Oedipus become king of Thebes?
2. Why is Creon sent to Delphi and what does he learn?
3. Why does Tiresias summon Laius' ghost?
4. How and why does Jocasta commit suicide?
5. How does Ulysses trick Andromache at Hector's tomb and why?
6. What does Pyrrhus demand for Achilles and why?
7. Why does Oedipus imprison Creon in the third act?
8. How does Agamemnon view the dead Achilles?
9. For what reasons does Agamemnon claim to forgo sacrificing a maiden?
10. Why does Oedipus refuse to commit suicide?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)