|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second act of "Oedipus," what knowledge does Creon relate that will end the plague?
(a) Jocasta must bear another child.
(b) Oedipus must make a human sacrifice to Hera.
(c) Oedipus must seek out a special herb.
(d) Laius' murder must be avenged.
2. According to the chorus, what is the best way for a man to die?
(b) At sea.
(c) At home with his family.
(d) In battle.
3. According to Calchas, why must Polyxena and Astyanax die?
(a) They pose too much of a threat to the Greeks.
(b) Apollo demands that they die or he will kill the Greeks.
(c) They have the plague.
(d) Their deaths will ensure a safe voyage home for the Greeks.
4. Why can Ulysses not spare Astyanax?
(a) Ulysses will be killed by Agamemnon if he does not comply with orders.
(b) Astyanax can rightfully claim to be an heir to the Spartan throne.
(c) Astyanax needs to join his father in the afterlife.
(d) Calchas demands the sacrifice.
5. According to Andromache, what is the worst fate for a Trojan woman?
(a) Abandonment by their husbands.
(b) Marriage to a Greek.
(c) Exile from their home.
(d) Death in the name of the Greeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Oedipus come?
2. About what does a Trojan elder instruct Andromache to lie?
3. According to Hecuba, what was ignored before the fall of Troy?
4. How did Astyanax defy the Greeks at his death?
5. What does Oedipus believe about the news from Creon from the ghost?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Creon sent to Delphi and what does he learn?
2. Who is Hector and why is he important to the Trojans and Greeks?
3. Describe Polyxena's fate.
4. How does Ulysses trick Andromache at Hector's tomb and why?
5. For what reasons do the Greeks want to sacrifice Astyanax?
6. How does Agamemnon view the dead Achilles?
7. Why does Oedipus refuse to commit suicide?
8. Why do the Greeks cry when they take Astyanax?
9. Why is Oedipus summoned back to Corinth and why is he reluctant to go?
10. Describe the pestilence in Thebes and how it affects Oedipus.
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)