|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who commands Tantalus to cast his chaos upon others?
(b) The Fury.
(c) The Gorgons.
2. At the end of the second act of "Phaedra," in what does the chorus hope Hippolytus will find comfort?
(a) His hunting skills.
(b) His love of the outdoors.
(c) His prayers to Diana.
(d) His beauty.
3. What does the chorus sing about at the end of the first act of "Phaedra"?
(a) They sing about Aphrodite's influence over Phaedra.
(b) They sing about the unnatural love Phaedra has for Hippolytus.
(c) They sing about the transcendent nature of death.
(d) They sing about how every living creatures will surrender to love eventually.
4. Of what does Phaedra's nurse attempt to convince Hippolytus in the second act of "Phaedra"?
(a) He should become more sociable and try to find love.
(b) He should never come back to the city.
(c) He should try to bring his father back from the Underworld.
(d) He should seek Athena's counsel.
5. How does Atreus plan to lure Thyestes to his castle?
(a) He has sent word to Thyestes that he is dying.
(b) He has sent word to Thyestes that he wants to abdicate the throne.
(c) He has sent word to Thyestes that he wants to groom his oldest nephew to be his heir.
(d) He has sent word to Thyestes, falsely begging for a reconciliation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Theseus feel upon learning of his son's death?
2. In the fourth act of "Thyestes," who informs the chorus about Atreus murdering his nephews?
3. What fate awaits the children of Thyestes?
4. What does Hippolytus prefer over social interactions?
5. What reason does Atreus give for hating the three boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what conflicting moods does Thyestes find himself as he travels to Argos?
2. Describe the backstory to "Phaedra."
3. What happens when Phaedra reveals to Hippolytus her attraction for him?
4. What is the chorus at the end of the first act of "Phaedra" singing about and how does it relate to the action of the play?
5. What plot does Atreus form against his brother and why?
6. What does Atreus offer his brother during their false reconciliation and how does Thyestes react to the gifts?
7. How does Hippolytus die in "Phaedra"?
8. Discuss the backstory of the House of Pelops.
9. Discuss the character of Atreus.
10. For what reasons did Atreus murder his nephews?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)