|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Atreus justify his wicked plans against his brother?
(a) He claims Thyestes raped his wife.
(b) Atreus is free to act because of his brother's actions against him.
(c) Atreus believes he is being commanded by the gods.
(d) Atreus knows his brother is an atheist and will be under no protection.
2. What is Phaedra's relationship to Hippolytus?
(a) She is his stepsister.
(b) She is his stepmother.
(c) She is his mother.
(d) She is his sister.
3. What is Atreus celebrating in the beginning of the fifth act of "Thyestes"?
(a) His reconciliation with his brother.
(b) His son's birthday.
(c) His brother's marriage.
(d) His triumph over his brother.
4. In what sort of garb is Phaedra's nurse dressed in the third act?
(a) Hunting garb.
(b) Wedding dress.
(c) Mourning garb.
(d) Priestess robes.
5. About what act is Theseus manipulated into believing occurred in his absence during the third act of "Phaedra"?
(a) Hippolytus raped Phaedra.
(b) Phaedra has attempted suicide.
(c) Hippolytus violently beat Phaedra for insolence.
(d) Phaedra had a miscarriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phaedra wear in the second act?
2. What does Hippolytus prefer over social interactions?
3. Before his brother's treachery is revealed in the fifth act, what does Thyestes admit to being upset about in regards to his supposed reconciliation to Atreus?
4. What creature attacked Hippolytus?
5. Which of the following is not one of Thyestes' sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Theseus' conflicting emotions over the death of his son and upon learning of his wife's deception.
2. For what does Theseus pray at the end of the third act of "Phaedra" and how does the chorus react?
3. Why does Phaedra wear hunting garb in the second act?
4. What does Theseus plan to do at the end of "Phaedra" in regards to his dead family and why?
5. What do Thyestes and his children believe about their upcoming meeting with Atreus?
6. How is Theseus manipulated into believing his son raped Phaedra?
7. Discuss the character of Atreus.
8. What does Atreus claim about Thyestes' grief at the end of "Thyestes"?
9. How is Tantalus manipulated into releasing the Fury upon the House of Pelops?
10. Over what is Tantalus agonizing in the afterlife and why?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)