|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon whom must Tantalus loose the Fury?
(a) The House of Pelops.
(b) The House of Aeneas.
(c) The House of Priam.
(d) The House of Menelaus.
2. What is the station of Theseus' first wife?
(a) Queen of the Amazons.
(b) Queen of Thebes.
(c) Queen of Sparta.
(d) Princess of Troy.
3. Which character in "Thyestes" is decapitated?
4. According to the chorus in the third act of "Phaedra," what no longer governs mankind?
5. In the fourth act of "Thyestes," who informs the chorus about Atreus murdering his nephews?
(a) Atreus' prefect.
(b) Atreus' minister.
(c) A priest.
(d) A messenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Phaedra's nurse attempt to convince Hippolytus in the second act of "Phaedra"?
2. How does Atreus justify his wicked plans against his brother?
3. How does Atreus plan to lure Thyestes to his castle?
4. At the start of "Phaedra," where is Theseus?
5. In the preface of "Phaedra," what is Hippolytus organizing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the backstory of the House of Pelops.
2. What does Atreus offer his brother during their false reconciliation and how does Thyestes react to the gifts?
3. Describe Hippolytus' preferences in life and how he is at odds with other people over it.
4. How does Hippolytus die in "Phaedra"?
5. Of what does Hippolytus' nurse try to convince Phaedra in the first act?
6. Over what is Tantalus agonizing in the afterlife and why?
7. Why does Phaedra wear hunting garb in the second act?
8. Describe the murders of Thyestes' sons.
9. What plot does Atreus form against his brother and why?
10. What does Theseus plan to do at the end of "Phaedra" in regards to his dead family and why?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)