|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character in "Thyestes" is decapitated?
2. Which of the following is not one of Thyestes' sons?
(c) One son stays unnamed.
3. For what does Theseus pray at the end of the third act of "Phaedra"?
(a) Wisdom to deal out justice.
(b) Healing for Phaedra.
(c) Forgiveness for his failure to stop the assault.
(d) The death of his son.
4. What does Phaedra finally admit to Theseus at the end of the play?
(a) She married Hippolytus.
(b) She is pregnant by Hippolytus.
(c) She was supposed to kill Theseus.
(d) She lied about the rape.
5. In the fourth act of "Phaedra," what new character enters the play?
(a) Hippolytus' wife.
(b) The messenger.
(c) Theseus' brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What creature attacked Hippolytus?
2. What is Phaedra doing in the beginning of the fifth act?
3. In the preface of "Phaedra," what is Hippolytus organizing?
4. Whom does Tantalus attempt to warn about their impending deaths?
5. To where is Thyestes traveling in the third act?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Theseus' conflicting emotions over the death of his son and upon learning of his wife's deception.
2. How does Hippolytus die in "Phaedra"?
3. Discuss the character of Atreus.
4. Describe Hippolytus' preferences in life and how he is at odds with other people over it.
5. What does Theseus plan to do at the end of "Phaedra" in regards to his dead family and why?
6. What does Atreus offer his brother during their false reconciliation and how does Thyestes react to the gifts?
7. Over what is Tantalus agonizing in the afterlife and why?
8. For what reasons did Atreus murder his nephews?
9. Describe the murders of Thyestes' sons.
10. What does Atreus claim about Thyestes' grief at the end of "Thyestes"?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)