|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Talthybius' station among the Greeks?
2. Because of the plague, what does Oedipus consider doing because he is unable to stop it in the first act of the play?
(a) Raise the ghost of the murdered king.
(b) Abdicate the throne.
(c) Sacrifice himself to Zeus.
(d) Leave Thebes.
3. For what purpose does Tiresias wish to take a particular action after he is unable to clarify the Oracle's message?
(a) The ghost can reveal his murderer.
(b) Tiresias' willing sacrifice will end the plague.
(c) Zeus will listen to and answer his prayers.
(d) The Oracle can explain herself to him.
4. About what does Hector warn Andromache in a dream?
(a) The Greeks will kill their son.
(b) She must take care of Hecuba.
(c) Polyxena is going to be sacrificed.
(d) The Greeks will attempt to claim her as a prize.
5. How does Ulysses trick Andromache into revealing Astyanax's location?
(a) He suggests that the boy is a coward.
(b) He pretends to leave but watches her walk into the tomb.
(c) He watches her eyes as she looks around for him.
(d) He claims Hector's tomb must be torn down.
6. According to Pyrrhus, who was most afraid of Achilles?
7. Why is Oedipus fearful of returning to his homeland?
(a) He does not want to be a king.
(b) He does not want to abandon Thebes.
(c) He is still afraid of the prophecy.
(d) He does not wish to leave his wife.
8. Why is Andromache jealous of Polyxena?
(a) Polyxena has accepted her fate.
(b) Polyxena will die on her native soil.
(c) Polyxena has been blessed by Zeus.
(d) Polyxena will be treated as a princess in her marriage.
9. What happened when Polyxena was sacrificed in honor of Achilles?
(a) The gods cried out that she would be avenged.
(b) Her body was taken away by Apollo.
(c) The land went silent.
(d) The tomb soaked up her blood.
10. According to Calchas, why must Polyxena and Astyanax die?
(a) They have the plague.
(b) Apollo demands that they die or he will kill the Greeks.
(c) They pose too much of a threat to the Greeks.
(d) Their deaths will ensure a safe voyage home for the Greeks.
11. What does Hecuba tell the chorus they must not do in regards to Priam?
(a) Speak unkindly against him.
(b) Betray his memory.
(c) Pity him.
(d) Remember him as frail.
12. According to Hecuba, what also died on the same day as her warrior son?
(c) Priam's resolve to win the war.
(d) Her heart.
13. According to the ghost, what will end the plague?
(a) Jocasta's death.
(b) Oedipus' departure from Thebes.
(c) Creon's ascension to the throne.
(d) Oedipus sacrificing himself to Zeus.
14. About what does a Trojan elder instruct Andromache to lie?
(a) She will claim that she was not Hector's wife.
(b) She will claim that she is protected by Apollo.
(c) She will claim Astyanax is hiding in the castle.
(d) She will claim Astyanax was killed when Troy fell.
15. Who kills Polyxena?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Polyxena being given a quick death?
2. What does the messenger reveal that Oedipus refuses to do in the fifth act?
3. What is Tiresias unable to do in the second act of "Oedipus"?
4. Who is Hecuba?
5. How did Astyanax defy the Greeks at his death?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)