|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Andromache jealous of Polyxena?
(a) Polyxena has been blessed by Zeus.
(b) Polyxena will die on her native soil.
(c) Polyxena has accepted her fate.
(d) Polyxena will be treated as a princess in her marriage.
2. Who does Andromache blame for the fall of Troy?
3. Where does Oedipus send Creon?
(b) The Oracle at Delphi.
(d) The Underworld.
4. According to Andromache, what is the worst fate for a Trojan woman?
(a) Exile from their home.
(b) Marriage to a Greek.
(c) Abandonment by their husbands.
(d) Death in the name of the Greeks.
5. Who kills Polyxena?
6. What happened when Polyxena was sacrificed in honor of Achilles?
(a) The gods cried out that she would be avenged.
(b) Her body was taken away by Apollo.
(c) The land went silent.
(d) The tomb soaked up her blood.
7. What actions did the old shepherd perform before the beginning of "Oedipus"?
(a) He killed Laius.
(b) He cursed Oedipus with the prophecy.
(c) He took Oedipus as a baby to the Corinthian messenger.
(d) He blessed Oedipus upon his birth.
8. In the fourth act of "Oedipus," what does the titular character recall before his arrival in the city?
(a) He was warned away from Thebes by Zeus.
(b) He nearly died on his journey to the city.
(c) He was arrested.
(d) He killed a man on his way there.
9. According to Hecuba, what was ignored before the fall of Troy?
(a) Priam's pleas for surrender.
(b) Her prophesies.
(c) The demands of the gods.
(d) The death of Hector.
10. Who is Oedipus' father in Corinth?
(a) King Priam.
(b) King Polybus.
(c) King Menelaus.
(d) King Atreus.
11. According to the ghost, what will end the plague?
(a) Oedipus' departure from Thebes.
(b) Creon's ascension to the throne.
(c) Jocasta's death.
(d) Oedipus sacrificing himself to Zeus.
12. What is the only reason that Creon reveals the information he gained from Tiresias after summoning the ghost?
(a) He accidentally told the messenger while Oedipus was within hearing.
(b) Oedipus threatens him.
(c) Oedipus begs him to help him end the plague.
(d) If the plague is not ended, his sister will be the next to die.
13. What does Oedipus believe about the news from Creon from the ghost?
(a) Tiresias has betrayed the gods.
(b) Creon and Tiresias are conspiring to take the throne.
(c) Creon is covering up for the real murderer.
(d) An evil spirit is tormenting Creon.
14. Who is Creon?
(a) Laius' brother.
(b) Jocasta's brother.
(c) Oedipus' brother.
(d) Tiresias' brother.
15. What does Agamemnon claim as being forbidden, due to shame and honor?
(a) Claiming the Trojan women as concubines.
(b) Sacrificing a maiden for Achilles.
(c) Abandoning their dead warriors.
(d) Dishonoring the graves of the fallen Trojans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ulysses trick Andromache into revealing Astyanax's location?
2. What does the messenger reveal that Oedipus refuses to do in the fifth act?
3. What does Oedipus wish upon the murderer of Jocasta's late husband?
4. What is Tiresias unable to do in the second act of "Oedipus"?
5. Why is Creon sent away at the end of the first act of "Oedipus"?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)