|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does the messenger give Oedipus in the fourth act?
(a) Tiresias is a fake.
(b) Polybus has died.
(c) Creon has seized control of Corinth.
(d) Zeus has ended the plague.
2. About what does a Trojan elder instruct Andromache to lie?
(a) She will claim Astyanax was killed when Troy fell.
(b) She will claim that she was not Hector's wife.
(c) She will claim that she is protected by Apollo.
(d) She will claim Astyanax is hiding in the castle.
3. According to Pyrrhus, who was most afraid of Achilles?
4. What does Oedipus reveal to Jocasta at the end of the play?
(a) He is cursed by the gods.
(b) He is leaving Thebes.
(c) He is her son.
(d) He never loved her.
5. In the fourth act of "Oedipus," what does the titular character recall before his arrival in the city?
(a) He killed a man on his way there.
(b) He was arrested.
(c) He was warned away from Thebes by Zeus.
(d) He nearly died on his journey to the city.
6. Who is Creon?
(a) Laius' brother.
(b) Oedipus' brother.
(c) Tiresias' brother.
(d) Jocasta's brother.
7. According to the chorus, what is the best way for a man to die?
(a) At sea.
(b) At home with his family.
(c) In battle.
8. What does Creon advise Oedipus to do after the former relays the message from the murdered king?
(a) Renounce the throne.
(b) Pray to Zeus.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Consult with Tiresias.
9. What is Talthybius' station among the Greeks?
10. What is the only reason that Creon reveals the information he gained from Tiresias after summoning the ghost?
(a) Oedipus threatens him.
(b) Oedipus begs him to help him end the plague.
(c) If the plague is not ended, his sister will be the next to die.
(d) He accidentally told the messenger while Oedipus was within hearing.
11. What is significant about Hecuba's exit at the end of the play?
(a) It infers that she is going to murder Ulysses.
(b) It infers that she has committed suicide.
(c) It infers that she will be staying in Troy.
(d) It infers that the gods have taken her away with them.
12. What did the Greeks admire about Polyxena?
(a) Her courage.
(b) Her piety.
(c) Her anger.
(d) Her ability as warrior.
13. Who does Andromache blame for the fall of Troy?
14. What course of action does Tiresias propose he take in order to help avenge the king's murder?
(a) He will pray to Zeus for guidance.
(b) He will go to the Oracle himself.
(c) He will sacrifice himself to the gods for the end of the plague.
(d) He will summon the king's ghost.
15. Where does Andromache hide her son?
(a) The marketplace.
(b) Hector's tomb.
(c) The temple of Apollo.
(d) The caves by the edge of the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Oedipus defeat before the start of the play?
2. Who kills Polyxena?
3. What actions did the old shepherd perform before the beginning of "Oedipus"?
4. Why does the messenger in the fourth act urge Oedipus to leave the city?
5. According to Calchas, why must Polyxena and Astyanax die?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)