|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over what is Tantalus anguishing in the beginning of "Thyestes"?
(a) The sins of his sons.
(b) The Greek's plot against his sons.
(c) The death of his wife.
(d) His suicide.
2. According to the chorus in the third act of "Phaedra," what no longer governs mankind?
3. What is Phaedra's relationship to Hippolytus?
(a) She is his sister.
(b) She is his mother.
(c) She is his stepmother.
(d) She is his stepsister.
4. Who accompanies Atreus at his bidding when he goes to make a sacrifice to the gods at the end of the third act of "Thyestes"?
(a) Thyestes' sons.
(c) Thyestes' wife.
(d) Atreus' sons.
5. How does Phaedra die?
(a) Neptune's sea bull throws her in the sea.
(b) Theseus kills her.
(c) She commits suicide.
(d) She dies from grief.
6. At the start of "Phaedra," where is Theseus?
(b) Mount Olympus.
(d) The Underworld.
7. About what act is Theseus manipulated into believing occurred in his absence during the third act of "Phaedra"?
(a) Hippolytus raped Phaedra.
(b) Phaedra had a miscarriage.
(c) Hippolytus violently beat Phaedra for insolence.
(d) Phaedra has attempted suicide.
8. What fate awaits the children of Thyestes?
(a) Their bodies will be boiled to pieces.
(b) Their bodies will be fed to wild animals.
(c) They will be exiled.
(d) They will be buried alive.
9. What is the station of Theseus' first wife?
(a) Queen of the Amazons.
(b) Queen of Sparta.
(c) Princess of Troy.
(d) Queen of Thebes.
10. What is Phaedra doing in the beginning of the fifth act?
(a) Seducing Theseus.
(b) Attempting suicide.
(c) Cutting and burning her hair.
(d) Mourning Hippolytus.
11. In the preface of "Phaedra," what is Hippolytus organizing?
(a) A prayer service.
(b) A hunt.
(c) A battle.
(d) A rebellion.
12. At the end of the third act of "Phaedra," the chorus cries, "Why dost thou dwell afar,/ All too indifferent to men,/ Not anxious to bring blessing to the good,/ And to the evil, bane"? About what is the chorus lamenting?
(a) Phaedra has committed suicide.
(b) Phaedra falsely accused Hippolytus of rape.
(c) Hippolytus has been murdered.
(d) Hippolytus has tried to kill his father.
13. To whom does Hippolytus pray in the preface of "Phaedra"?
14. In the fourth act of "Thyestes," who informs the chorus about Atreus murdering his nephews?
(a) Atreus' minister.
(b) A messenger.
(c) A priest.
(d) Atreus' prefect.
15. What is Thyestes doing at the end of the fourth act?
(a) Praying to Zeus.
(b) Receiving counsel from the ghost of his father.
(c) Eating the feast from his brother.
(d) Preparing to kill his brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion is Thyestes mysteriously experiencing in the beginning of the last act of "Thyestes"?
2. In the first act of "Thyestes," why does Tantalus initially refuse to unleash chaos?
3. What is Atreus angry about being unable to avenge?
4. For what does Theseus pray at the end of the third act of "Phaedra"?
5. To where is Thyestes traveling in the third act?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)