|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Atreus celebrating in the beginning of the fifth act of "Thyestes"?
(a) His triumph over his brother.
(b) His son's birthday.
(c) His reconciliation with his brother.
(d) His brother's marriage.
2. Upon what did Hippolytus' horses run when escaping the attacking creature?
(a) The graves of dead warriors.
(b) The rocks.
(c) The grass.
(d) The ruins of another castle.
3. Why does the nurse claim to be dressed in a particular manner in the third act of "Phaedra"?
(a) She has joined the temple of Apollo.
(b) She is going to be wed.
(c) She is joining the hunt.
(d) Phaedra wants to die.
4. At the end of the second act of "Phaedra," in what does the chorus hope Hippolytus will find comfort?
(a) His beauty.
(b) His love of the outdoors.
(c) His hunting skills.
(d) His prayers to Diana.
5. What emotion is Thyestes mysteriously experiencing in the beginning of the last act of "Thyestes"?
6. What does Phaedra finally admit to Theseus at the end of the play?
(a) She was supposed to kill Theseus.
(b) She lied about the rape.
(c) She is pregnant by Hippolytus.
(d) She married Hippolytus.
7. How does Atreus plan to lure Thyestes to his castle?
(a) He has sent word to Thyestes that he is dying.
(b) He has sent word to Thyestes that he wants to groom his oldest nephew to be his heir.
(c) He has sent word to Thyestes that he wants to abdicate the throne.
(d) He has sent word to Thyestes, falsely begging for a reconciliation.
8. When Hippolytus rebuffs Phaedra, how does she react?
(a) She prays for forgiveness.
(b) She flees the city.
(c) She attempts suicide.
(d) She slanders him.
9. At the end of "Thyestes," what does the titular character entrust to the gods?
(a) His life.
(b) The souls of his sons.
(c) Atreus' punishment.
(d) His fate at sea.
10. To whom does Phaedra confide her desire for Hippolytus?
(a) Her daughter.
(b) Hippolytus' sister.
(d) Hippolytus' nurse.
11. In what state is Tantalus in the first act of "Thyestes"?
(a) A ghost.
(c) Buried alive.
(d) Near death.
12. Why does Atreus not fear his subjects' favor?
(a) He believes he is their supreme ruler.
(b) He believes they will never know about his misdeeds.
(c) He knows they do not care for his brother.
(d) He knows they will always be loyal to him.
13. For what reason does Phaedra dress in a particular manner in the second act?
(a) She wishes to attract Hippolytus' attention.
(b) She is trying to remind herself what is good in her marriage.
(c) She is mourning the death of her husband.
(d) She wants to feel what Hippolytus feels when he hunts.
14. What must Atreus convince Thyestes to accept in the third act of "Thyestes"?
(a) A wife.
(b) Half of the crown.
(c) The position of head advisor.
15. In the first act of "Thyestes," why does Tantalus initially refuse to unleash chaos?
(a) He does not believe in his capabilities to be cruel.
(b) He does not wish to be punished by Zeus.
(c) He does not believe they deserve to be punished.
(d) He is not meant to abet punishment on others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phaedra doing in the beginning of the fifth act?
2. Which of the following is not one of Thyestes' sons?
3. What false offer has Atreus apparently made to Thyestes, according to the third act of "Thyestes"?
4. Why was Hippolytus trapped upon his horse before his death?
5. Upon whom must Tantalus loose the Fury?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)