|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom do Thyestes and Atreus drink a toast in the fifth act of "Thyestes"?
(b) The gods.
(d) Each other.
2. Whom does Tantalus attempt to warn about their impending deaths?
(a) His cousins.
(b) His grandsons.
(c) His sons.
(d) His nephews.
3. What does Phaedra wear in the second act?
(a) A wedding dress.
(b) Hippolytus' armor.
(c) Mourning clothes.
(d) Hunting garb.
4. Upon what were Thyestes' sons sacrificed?
(a) An altar.
(b) Their grandfather's tomb.
(c) The weapons of their ancestors.
(d) A pyre.
5. Before his brother's treachery is revealed in the fifth act, what does Thyestes admit to being upset about in regards to his supposed reconciliation to Atreus?
(a) Atreus' sons are not present to meet their uncle.
(b) His sons are not there to share the joy.
(c) They could not have reconciled earlier.
(d) Their father could not have lived to see them reconcile.
6. At the end of "Thyestes," what does the titular character entrust to the gods?
(a) Atreus' punishment.
(b) The souls of his sons.
(c) His life.
(d) His fate at sea.
7. Which of the following is not one of Thyestes' sons?
(d) One son stays unnamed.
8. How does Atreus protect his sons from sharing the blame for his plot against Thyestes?
(a) Atreus pleads with Zeus to keep them ignorant.
(b) Atreus lies to them about his plan.
(c) Atreus keeps them completely ignorant of the plan.
(d) Atreus sends them away.
9. When Hippolytus rebuffs Phaedra, how does she react?
(a) She slanders him.
(b) She flees the city.
(c) She attempts suicide.
(d) She prays for forgiveness.
10. In the preface of "Phaedra," what is Hippolytus organizing?
(a) A hunt.
(b) A prayer service.
(c) A rebellion.
(d) A battle.
11. Who accompanies Atreus at his bidding when he goes to make a sacrifice to the gods at the end of the third act of "Thyestes"?
(a) Thyestes' sons.
(b) Atreus' sons.
(d) Thyestes' wife.
12. What parts of Thyestes' sons are presented to Thyestes as a gift?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) Their livers.
(c) Their heads.
(d) Their hands.
13. Who enters at the end of the second act of "Phaedra"?
14. What is Atreus celebrating in the beginning of the fifth act of "Thyestes"?
(a) His son's birthday.
(b) His brother's marriage.
(c) His triumph over his brother.
(d) His reconciliation with his brother.
15. Why does the nurse claim to be dressed in a particular manner in the third act of "Phaedra"?
(a) She is joining the hunt.
(b) She is going to be wed.
(c) She has joined the temple of Apollo.
(d) Phaedra wants to die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thyestes doing at the end of the fourth act?
2. Which character in "Thyestes" is decapitated?
3. Why does Atreus not fear his subjects' favor?
4. How does Thyestes feel about his impending meeting with his brother?
5. What creature attacked Hippolytus?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)