|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Phaedra's confidante try to dissuade her from doing?
(a) Leaving the city to escape her desire.
(c) Ignoring her feelings for Hippolytus.
(d) Acting on her attraction to Hippolytus.
2. What is Phaedra's relationship to Hippolytus?
(a) She is his sister.
(b) She is his mother.
(c) She is his stepmother.
(d) She is his stepsister.
3. What does Atreus do to his nephews' bodies?
(a) He buries them.
(b) He burns them.
(c) He prepares them as a meal for their father.
(d) He feeds them to the pigs.
4. What does the chorus sing about at the end of the first act of "Phaedra"?
(a) They sing about Aphrodite's influence over Phaedra.
(b) They sing about the transcendent nature of death.
(c) They sing about how every living creatures will surrender to love eventually.
(d) They sing about the unnatural love Phaedra has for Hippolytus.
5. What does Hippolytus prefer over social interactions?
(a) The outdoors.
(c) Meaningless relationships.
6. How does Theseus feel upon learning of his son's death?
(b) Furious at the gods.
7. What creature attacked Hippolytus?
(b) Neptune's sea bull.
(d) A Fury.
8. Why does Atreus not fear his subjects' favor?
(a) He knows they do not care for his brother.
(b) He believes they will never know about his misdeeds.
(c) He knows they will always be loyal to him.
(d) He believes he is their supreme ruler.
9. In the first act of "Thyestes," what do the Fury claim to have planned for the wrongdoers?
(a) A strange meal.
(b) A war.
(c) Torment from the animals.
(d) A quick death.
10. To whom does Hippolytus pray in the preface of "Phaedra"?
11. Upon whom must Tantalus loose the Fury?
(a) The House of Menelaus.
(b) The House of Pelops.
(c) The House of Aeneas.
(d) The House of Priam.
12. What parts of Thyestes' sons are presented to Thyestes as a gift?
(a) Their hearts.
(b) Their hands.
(c) Their heads.
(d) Their livers.
13. What does Phaedra finally admit to Theseus at the end of the play?
(a) She was supposed to kill Theseus.
(b) She is pregnant by Hippolytus.
(c) She lied about the rape.
(d) She married Hippolytus.
14. Who enters at the end of the second act of "Phaedra"?
15. At the end of the second act of "Phaedra," in what does the chorus hope Hippolytus will find comfort?
(a) His prayers to Diana.
(b) His love of the outdoors.
(c) His hunting skills.
(d) His beauty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accompanies Atreus at his bidding when he goes to make a sacrifice to the gods at the end of the third act of "Thyestes"?
2. What does Atreus offer to Thyestes when the latter apologizes for his misdeeds against him?
3. How does Atreus protect his sons from sharing the blame for his plot against Thyestes?
4. To where is Thyestes traveling in the third act?
5. In what sort of garb is Phaedra's nurse dressed in the third act?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)