|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Oedipus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Phaedra respond when Theseus demands to know why she is apparently suicidal?
(a) She tries to make love to him.
(b) She begins to scream.
(c) She would rather die than confide in him about the "evil" someone did to her.
(d) She tries to throw herself out the window.
2. What is Atreus celebrating in the beginning of the fifth act of "Thyestes"?
(a) His triumph over his brother.
(b) His reconciliation with his brother.
(c) His son's birthday.
(d) His brother's marriage.
3. How does Atreus protect his sons from sharing the blame for his plot against Thyestes?
(a) Atreus lies to them about his plan.
(b) Atreus sends them away.
(c) Atreus pleads with Zeus to keep them ignorant.
(d) Atreus keeps them completely ignorant of the plan.
4. At the end of "Thyestes," what does the titular character entrust to the gods?
(a) The souls of his sons.
(b) His life.
(c) Atreus' punishment.
(d) His fate at sea.
5. What does the old shepherd reveal to Oedipus about his parentage?
(a) Oedipus' mother is his wife, Jocasta.
(b) Oedipus' mother is the queen of Corinth.
(c) He is Oedipus' father.
(d) Oedipus' mother died in childbirth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was young Tantalus murdered?
2. What is significant about Hecuba's exit at the end of the play?
3. In what sort of garb is Phaedra's nurse dressed in the third act?
4. According to the ghost, what will end the plague?
5. What is Thyestes doing at the end of the fourth act?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)