|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Oedipus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the fourth act of "Oedipus," what does the titular character recall before his arrival in the city?
(a) He killed a man on his way there.
(b) He was warned away from Thebes by Zeus.
(c) He nearly died on his journey to the city.
(d) He was arrested.
2. Whom does Hecuba predict will not find peace for a long time?
3. What does the messenger reveal to Oedipus about his past?
(a) Oedipus' mother is Jocasta.
(b) The messenger is Oedipus' father.
(c) Oedipus has no royal blood.
(d) Oedipus was adopted.
4. Why can Ulysses not spare Astyanax?
(a) Astyanax needs to join his father in the afterlife.
(b) Astyanax can rightfully claim to be an heir to the Spartan throne.
(c) Calchas demands the sacrifice.
(d) Ulysses will be killed by Agamemnon if he does not comply with orders.
5. According to the ghost, what will end the plague?
(a) Jocasta's death.
(b) Oedipus sacrificing himself to Zeus.
(c) Oedipus' departure from Thebes.
(d) Creon's ascension to the throne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does the messenger give Oedipus in the fourth act?
2. According to Calchas, why must Polyxena and Astyanax die?
3. What does the messenger reveal that Oedipus refuses to do in the fifth act?
4. What is the only reason that Creon reveals the information he gained from Tiresias after summoning the ghost?
5. How does Oedipus punish himself at the end of the play?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)