|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Sloane shoot?
2. What does Sloane confess in the tower?
3. Who is the next one to be targeted by the skinwalkers?
4. What does Sloane wonder while she is waiting to ambush Nora?
5. What does Nora believe the skinwalkers fear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Swire angry when Nora and Bill return to Quivira?
2. What discovery does Black make, and how is it discovered?
3. Who does Skip go to for help and why?
4. How does Sloane test Nora's authority yet again?
5. What surprises Sloane after she kills the skinwalker that chases her and Nora up the tower ladders?
6. What does John do after he saves Nora and Bill?
7. Who grabs Nora from behind when she goes to check whether or not Sloane had killed Smithback?
8. What had Sloane's father surmised regarding the few small shards of black on yellow micaceous pottery he had been able to study?
9. What two things do the skinwalkers do when they go into Chilbah valley in Chapter 36?
10. Who argues with Sloane's decision to open the Sun Kiva?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the life of a potherd hunter. Should someone in this field of study have a family or children? Is it natural for the family to resent the constant disappearances that this kind of work might involve? Could this be resolved by giving the family a more active role or including them in some of the expeditions? Could they be used as an educational or bonding tool?
Essay Topic 2
When the creatures who attacked Nora at the farmhouse leave, they go to her apartment instead. What is it that they are looking for? It is obviously not the letter they asked her for, and the letter has no relationship to the items they did take. What could their motives be? What impression does the reader get about the motives of these creatures now?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the Nankoweap tribe avoid Chilbah Valley? How are they tied together? What factors are revealed in the book that would lead the reader to believe that there is a deeper connection between the Anasazi people and the Nankoweap people? What actual ties from one to the other are revealed?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)