|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was there no hint of from the inside of Chilbah valley?
2. What do they realize about the seal that they expose?
3. What is the sun disk made of?
4. Who assumes command after Nora and Bill leave the city of Quivira?
5. What does Nora do after making sure that Bill is okay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Swire angry when Nora and Bill return to Quivira?
2. Why is Beiyoodzin seeking the Priest's Trail?
3. Bonarotti sits outside after breaking through the seals to the Sun Kiva to have a cigarette and has trouble remembering what?
4. How does Black justify his omission when the flash flood comes?
5. What do the designs on the black on yellow micaceous pottery reveal?
6. What two things do the skinwalkers do when they go into Chilbah valley in Chapter 36?
7. Who does Skip go to for help and why?
8. How does the flash flood announce itself?
9. How do Nora and Bill get out of the slot canyon after regaining consciousness?
10. Sloane and Nora clash yet again. Why this time, and what is the outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As part of the deal that Dr. Goddard makes with Nora, his daughter Sloane is to be allowed to join the expedition. What is Nora's first impression of Sloane? What motivates Dr. Goddard to insist that she attend? What is his agenda? What conclusions can be drawn about his intentions based on his history, and through him, Sloane's intentions? What specific passages support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
There is a way of life that is part of the Quivira people and carries through to the Nankoweap tribe. The ceremony consistent with both deals with the seasons and the land. Describe the way of life / belief system that is consistent with both of these peoples. What evidence is discovered in Quivira that would lead the reader to the conclusion that they also practiced this belief structure? How was it displayed?
Essay Topic 3
Aragon comes to the conclusion that it is likely that they Aztecs or their Toltec predecessors invaded the Anasazi civilization at Quivira sometime around A.D. 950. When that happened, everything changed. How did the Toltecs present themselves to the Anasazi peoples? What was the result of their influence on the Anasazi? How is Aragon able to establish these facts? What is the science that he uses to back up his suppositions?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)