|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the cave?
2. What does Nora ask Skip to bring into work with him?
3. What do they find in the cave?
4. What is Smithback's job at Quivira?
5. How does Nora verify their location in the canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Quivira in relation to the bench that Sloane and Nora climb to?
2. How does Nora want to fund the expedition to follow in her father's footsteps to Quivira?
3. What distracts Goddard during his meeting with Nora?
4. Why was the ridge Nora was seeking called the Devil's Backbone?
5. When the ceremony is conducted at the ancient grave site, what becomes clear?
6. What kind of gear was placed atop the rim of the canyon, way above Quivira and what was its purpose?
7. What does Dr. Blakewood want Nora to do when she tells him about her father's letter?
8. What incidents cause tensions to flare between Nora and Sloane?
9. After Teresa's attack and murder, what had happened to her?
10. What did the pictographs on the back walls depict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aragon comes to the conclusion that it is likely that they Aztecs or their Toltec predecessors invaded the Anasazi civilization at Quivira sometime around A.D. 950. When that happened, everything changed. How did the Toltecs present themselves to the Anasazi peoples? What was the result of their influence on the Anasazi? How is Aragon able to establish these facts? What is the science that he uses to back up his suppositions?
Essay Topic 2
Skip Kelly is given work as part of Nora's deal with Dr. Goddard. Earlier, first impressions were discussed.
Part one: What first impression does Skip give? How is that in direct opposition to his actual character? What acts or actions define him throughout this story, and what are the differences between the character he reveals on first impression vs the character that he actually is?
Part two: What first impression do you think you give? How is that in opposition with who you believe yourself to be inside (if at all)? What is the reason for the discrepancy between the two?
Essay Topic 3
When the creatures who attacked Nora at the farmhouse leave, they go to her apartment instead. What is it that they are looking for? It is obviously not the letter they asked her for, and the letter has no relationship to the items they did take. What could their motives be? What impression does the reader get about the motives of these creatures now?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)