|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What frightens Nora and Sloane as they proceed ahead to reconnoiter?
2. What is soon obvious about Nora's relationship with Sloane?
3. What is Nora's middle name?
4. What does Peter agree to do for Nora?
5. What is Smithback's job at Quivira?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Skip suggest Nora find the road their father claims in his letter to have followed?
2. What is Zero Site Trauma and why is it important?
3. How does John tell them that a person becomes a witch?
4. What incidents cause tensions to flare between Nora and Sloane?
5. Skip went back to the farmhouse and picked up Teddy Bear after Teresa's death. Why did he do this, and what happened afterwards?
6. What distracts Goddard during his meeting with Nora?
7. What two incidents in Chapters 1 through 8 suggest to the reader some kind of witchcraft or demonic forces are at work behind the scenes?
8. What circumstances surrounding the GPS are a problem and why?
9. Why does Nora discover only a single moqui step?
10. How does Nora want to fund the expedition to follow in her father's footsteps to Quivira?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nora is placed in charge of this expedition largely because it is a condition of hers. She holds the information of their destination back as much as possible to increase her leverage. How will the other more experienced members of the team likely respond to her as a leader? What conflicts are likely to arise, and based on the characters introduced so far, who will be her biggest challenges? Why do you think that is the case? What passages in the book support your theories?
Essay Topic 2
The attack on Nora is made by creatures who are interested in only one thing. They are seeking a letter. What about this letter is so important? How is it that the contents of this letter could bring about the kind of attack Nora faced? Without interruption from Teresa, how might the outcome of this attack been different? Why did the creatures seem to give up so easily when Teresa showed up?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the Nankoweap tribe avoid Chilbah Valley? How are they tied together? What factors are revealed in the book that would lead the reader to believe that there is a deeper connection between the Anasazi people and the Nankoweap people? What actual ties from one to the other are revealed?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)