|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Largo put on Bond's face?
2. What is Manta?
3. Where does Bond arrange to meet Domino?
4. What kind of game is Largo playing?
5. Who is the only person from SPECTRE to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems occur in Chapter 20?
2. What does Leiter work out about Count Lippe?
3. What does Bond think the criminals plan to do?
4. What does Bond find attractive about Domino?
5. What do Leiter and Bond see when they take a closer look at the sharks?
6. How does Bond defeat the guard in Chapter 16?
7. What do Bond and Leiter find out about Largo and his men in Chapter 13?
8. What does Bond discover under the tarp?
9. Why is Bond concerned Largo will do if he knows they have detected him?
10. How does Bond lose the Barracuda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thunderball is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Thunderball?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Fleming portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine America's relationship with Communism.
1) Do you think it is right to label Communists spies and people linked to Communism as evil?
2) In what way have such books created a negative stereotypes around enemies of the west and how has this affected our interaction with them?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)