|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Soviet black ops agency?
2. Why does Petacchi lower the plane so it is just above commercial flight paths?
3. Where does Petacchi fly the plane towards?
4. Where does Bond wait for Lippe?
5. What kind of car does Domino drive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lippe's tattoo mark him as?
2. What is the only way the terrorists could set off the nuclear bombs?
3. What is SPECTRE?
4. What is FIRCO?
5. Why does Blofeld use a violet-scented breath freshener?
6. What is Petacchi's real motivation?
7. Why is M not pleased with Bond?
8. What does the Prime Minister say in his letter?
9. How does Blofeld kill no.12?
10. What does Bond think about his osteopathic treatment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between barracudas and sharks? When and how can sharks be dangerous? What position do sharks hold in popular culture?
Essay Topic 2
Thunderball is known as spy fiction.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way did the Bond series help to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Thunderball?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Fleming's writing style. How would you describe Fleming's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Fleming's style give to the story?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)