|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who have the kidnappers sent another copy of the letter to?
2. What is the name of the criminal organization Bond has to deal with in this book?
3. Who is Polly too expensive for?
4. Where does Bond take Domino in this chapter?
5. What did Petacchi get on the flight as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bond wake up feeling awful?
2. What does Wain outline for Bond during his stay at Shrublands?
3. Describe the Disco Volante.
4. Why does Blofeld use a violet-scented breath freshener?
5. How does Miss Moneypenny reassure Bond's secretary?
6. How does Bond describe Count Lippe?
7. How does Lippe try to kill Bond?
8. What does Bond think about his osteopathic treatment?
9. How does Blofeld kill no.12?
10. What is FIRCO?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motive? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside, from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine America's relationship with Communism.
1) Do you think it is right to label Communists spies and people linked to Communism as evil?
2) In what way have such books created a negative stereotypes around enemies of the west and how has this affected our interaction with them?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)