|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Laurent have a vision of lined up drowned bodies?
2. How does Michaud interact with Madame Raquin after she becomes unable to speak?
3. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin's face after the first time in "Chapter XXIX"?
4. How do Thérèse and Laurent decide to avoid hallucinating about Camille in the future in "Chapter XXIII"?
5. How does Madame Raquin feel when Thérèse confesses to her and asks for forgiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
2. What does Laurent begin dreaming about after Camille's death?
3. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
4. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
5. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
6. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
7. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
8. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
9. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
10. How do Laurent and Thérèse want to end their fear of Camille's ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow Thérèse and Madame Raquin's relationship throughout this novel. How is it developed? What themes are explored through this relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of funeral/death/tomb imagery in this novel. What function does it serve?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbolism of Laurent's painting of Camille.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)