|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Laurent and Thérèse spend their first few nights married sitting in chairs?
2. How do Thérèse and Laurent avoid going to bed at night after they are married?
3. What happens when Thérèse compares Laurent to Camille in "Chapter XXX"?
4. Why does Laurent have a vision of lined up drowned bodies?
5. In "Chapter XXIII", what does Thérèse do when she admits Camille has triumphed over her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Laurent and Thérèse react to Madame Raquin's stroke?
2. How does Laurent realize Madame Raquin knows he and Thérèse killed Camille?
3. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
4. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
5. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
6. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
7. What makes Thérèse and Laurent decide they can never kiss in "Chapter XXIII"?
8. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
9. What does the cat do on Thérèse and Laurent's wedding night?
10. What does Laurent do when Thérèse starts kissing her aunt daily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is guilt a theme in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how this novel explores what qualities make a good man. Does the author have a firm description? What traits are valued? What traits are not valued?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of men in Thérèse's life. Include her marriages as well as friendships and family.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)