|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter XVIII", what emotion is said to connect Thérèse and Laurent?
2. Why does Laurent want to hurt the cat on his wedding night?
3. In "Chapter XXIII", what does Thérèse do when she admits Camille has triumphed over her?
4. How often does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
5. What does Thérèse do when Laurent enters her room after the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
2. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
3. What does Laurent do when Thérèse starts kissing her aunt daily?
4. How does Madame Raquin feel about Thérèse getting remarried?
5. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
6. What does Laurent begin dreaming about after Camille's death?
7. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
8. How do Laurent and Thérèse want to end their fear of Camille's ghost?
9. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
10. How does Laurent feel about murdering Camille in "Chapter XXII"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the commentary provided on justice in "Thérèse Raquin".
Essay Topic 2
How does the author use colors in his descriptive passages? What is important about this use of color?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of men in Thérèse's life. Include her marriages as well as friendships and family.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)