|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thérèse think the Thursday night gatherings will help with Camille's death?
2. What does Grivet toast to at Thérèse and Laurent's wedding?
3. What does Laurent threaten to do if he doesn't get a studio to paint in?
4. Why does Laurent shove Thérèse away from him in "Chapter XXIII"?
5. Why does Laurent talk about his old times with Thérèse on their wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
2. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
3. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
4. What are the Thursday night gatherings like after Madame Raquin's stroke?
5. How do Laurent and Thérèse react to Madame Raquin's stroke?
6. What happens when Thérèse sees Laurent's scar?
7. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
8. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
9. What does the cat do on Thérèse and Laurent's wedding night?
10. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary does the author provide on forgiveness?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the way the class system in this novel works as a motivating factor. Why is this? Consider Laurent's desire to live an idle life.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of a minor character, Michaud or Grivet, and his impact on Thérèse's life.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)