|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madame Raquin consult about Thérèse's depression in "Chapter XIV"?
2. Why do Laurent and Thérèse spend their first few nights married sitting in chairs?
3. After painting in the mornings, what does Laurent do in the afternoons in "Chapter XXV"?
4. What eases Madame Raquin's worries about her paralysis?
5. What does Madame Raquin do when Thérèse and Laurent's engagement becomes official?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
2. Why are Thérèse and Laurent nervous on their wedding night?
3. What happens when Thérèse sees Laurent's scar?
4. How do Laurent and Thérèse react to Madame Raquin's stroke?
5. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
6. How does Madame Raquin feel about Thérèse getting remarried?
7. How does Thérèse feel about the Thursday night gatherings after Camille's death?
8. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
9. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
10. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Thérèse and Laurent's nightmares. Include their solutions in this comparison.
Essay Topic 2
Examine how this novel explores what qualities make a good man. Does the author have a firm description? What traits are valued? What traits are not valued?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the symbolism of Laurent's painting of Camille.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)