|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter XXVIII", what reminds Thérèse about Camille's drowning?
2. How does Madame Raquin feel when Thérèse confesses to her and asks for forgiveness?
3. Who does Madame Raquin consult about Thérèse's depression in "Chapter XIV"?
4. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent imagine Camille doing to him?
5. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin's face after the first time in "Chapter XXIX"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Thérèse sees Laurent's scar?
2. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
3. How do Laurent and Thérèse want to end their fear of Camille's ghost?
4. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
5. What does Laurent begin dreaming about after Camille's death?
6. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
7. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
8. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
9. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
10. What are the Thursday night gatherings like after Madame Raquin's stroke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of Laurent's painting of Camille.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on forgiveness?
Essay Topic 3
Follow Thérèse and Madame Raquin's relationship throughout this novel. How is it developed? What themes are explored through this relationship?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)