|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter XXV", what does Laurent's friend say about his paintings?
2. Why do Laurent and Thérèse want Madame Raquin to suggest the get married?
3. In "Chapter XXIII", why does kissing cause pain for Laurent and Thérèse?
4. In "Chapter XXIII", what does Thérèse do when she admits Camille has triumphed over her?
5. After Madame Raquin becomes unable to speak, where does she spend her days?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Madame Raquin feel about Thérèse getting remarried?
2. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
3. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
4. How does Thérèse feel about the Thursday night gatherings after Camille's death?
5. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
6. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
7. How does Laurent realize Madame Raquin knows he and Thérèse killed Camille?
8. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
9. What makes Thérèse and Laurent decide they can never kiss in "Chapter XXIII"?
10. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the way the class system in this novel works as a motivating factor. Why is this? Consider Laurent's desire to live an idle life.
Essay Topic 2
Follow Thérèse and Madame Raquin's relationship throughout this novel. How is it developed? What themes are explored through this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in this novel?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)