|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Laurent and Thérèse spend their first few nights married sitting in chairs?
2. How does the cat scare Laurent and Thérèse on their wedding night?
3. How does the narrator describe Thérèse's days after she is married to Laurent?
4. Why doesn't Madame Raquin want Thérèse to marry after Camille's death?
5. Why does Madame Raquin say she is happy to have given her money away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laurent realize Madame Raquin knows he and Thérèse killed Camille?
2. How does Laurent feel about murdering Camille in "Chapter XXII"?
3. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
4. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
5. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
6. How do Laurent and Thérèse react to Madame Raquin's stroke?
7. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
8. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
9. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
10. How does Madame Raquin feel about Thérèse getting remarried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? Is it effective? Why or why not? Consider the descriptive passages before Camille's death, like when Laurent is painting his portrait.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of funeral/death/tomb imagery in this novel. What function does it serve?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of a minor character, Michaud or Grivet, and his impact on Thérèse's life.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)