|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurent begin dreaming of in "Chapter XVII"?
2. In "Chapter XXVII", why do Thérèse and Laurent argue about Madame Raquin attending the Thursday night gathering?
3. Where does Laurent spend his night in "Chapter XVII"?
4. Why do Laurent and Thérèse keep a space between them in "Chapter XXII"?
5. How do Thérèse and Laurent avoid going to bed at night after they are married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurent do when Thérèse starts kissing her aunt daily?
2. What are the Thursday night gatherings like after Madame Raquin's stroke?
3. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
4. How does Laurent feel about murdering Camille in "Chapter XXII"?
5. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
6. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
7. How does Thérèse feel about the Thursday night gatherings after Camille's death?
8. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
9. What makes Thérèse and Laurent decide they can never kiss in "Chapter XXIII"?
10. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? Is it effective? Why or why not? Consider the descriptive passages before Camille's death, like when Laurent is painting his portrait.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism of Laurent's painting of Camille.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use internal monologue in this novel?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)