|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thérèse try to confuse her aunt in "Chapter XXI"?
2. How does Michaud interact with Madame Raquin after she becomes unable to speak?
3. Why does Laurent have a vision of lined up drowned bodies?
4. Why does Laurent stay under the bridge during the storm?
5. How does Madame Raquin try to communicate in "Chapter XXVII"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
2. How does Madame Raquin feel about Thérèse getting remarried?
3. What does Laurent begin dreaming about after Camille's death?
4. What happens when Thérèse sees Laurent's scar?
5. What does the cat do on Thérèse and Laurent's wedding night?
6. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
7. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
8. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
9. What does Madame Raquin do after reading the letter from Laurent's father about his engagement?
10. What makes Thérèse and Laurent decide they can never kiss in "Chapter XXIII"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? Is it effective? Why or why not? Consider the descriptive passages before Camille's death, like when Laurent is painting his portrait.
Essay Topic 2
What commentary does the author provide on forgiveness?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Thérèse and Laurent's nightmares. Include their solutions in this comparison.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)