|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Madame Raquin do when Thérèse and Laurent's engagement becomes official?
2. What worries Laurent when Madame Raquin becomes ill?
3. In "Chapter XXX", how does Thérèse describe herself to Laurent?
4. What does Thérèse do after Laurent forces her head to his neck in "Chapter XXI"?
5. What do Thérèse and Laurent do at the end of "Chapter XXVIII"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Thérèse and Laurent nervous on their wedding night?
2. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
3. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
4. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
5. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
6. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
7. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
8. What does Laurent begin dreaming about after Camille's death?
9. How do Laurent and Thérèse react to Madame Raquin's stroke?
10. What happens when Thérèse sees Laurent's scar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the significance of Thérèse's day time suffering and night time suffering. Why are they different? What purpose does this serve?
Essay Topic 2
Follow Thérèse and Madame Raquin's relationship throughout this novel. How is it developed? What themes are explored through this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What commentary does the author provide on forgiveness?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)