|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Michaud confident that the Thursday night gatherings will continue?
2. In "Chapter XXVII", why do Thérèse and Laurent argue about Madame Raquin attending the Thursday night gathering?
3. Where do Thérèse and Laurent sit and talk the night after their wedding?
4. How does the cat scare Laurent and Thérèse on their wedding night?
5. How does the narrator describe Thérèse's days after she is married to Laurent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Madame Raquin do after reading the letter from Laurent's father about his engagement?
2. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
3. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
4. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
5. What does the cat do on Thérèse and Laurent's wedding night?
6. What makes Thérèse and Laurent decide they can never kiss in "Chapter XXIII"?
7. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
8. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
9. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
10. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use colors in his descriptive passages? What is important about this use of color?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism of Laurent's scar.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of funeral/death/tomb imagery in this novel. What function does it serve?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)