|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Madame Raquin consult about Thérèse's depression in "Chapter XIV"?
2. What does Laurent begin dreaming of in "Chapter XVII"?
3. What eases Madame Raquin's worries about her paralysis?
4. Why does Thérèse begin acting depressed about Madame Raquin in "Chapter XIV"?
5. Why does Laurent stay under the bridge during the storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
2. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
3. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
4. What happens when Thérèse sees Laurent's scar?
5. How do Laurent and Thérèse react to Madame Raquin's stroke?
6. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
7. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
8. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
9. What does Madame Raquin do after reading the letter from Laurent's father about his engagement?
10. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the way the class system in this novel works as a motivating factor. Why is this? Consider Laurent's desire to live an idle life.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the significance of Thérèse's day time suffering and night time suffering. Why are they different? What purpose does this serve?
Essay Topic 3
Follow Thérèse and Madame Raquin's relationship throughout this novel. How is it developed? What themes are explored through this relationship?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)