|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe Thérèse and Laurent's wedding ceremony?
2. Why does Laurent stay under the bridge during the storm?
3. What does Grivet toast to at Thérèse and Laurent's wedding?
4. Why does Madame Raquin say she is happy to have given her money away?
5. How does Laurent react to Thérèse kissing her aunt's face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
2. Why are Thérèse and Laurent nervous on their wedding night?
3. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
4. What does Laurent do when Thérèse starts kissing her aunt daily?
5. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
6. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
7. What happens when Thérèse sees Laurent's scar?
8. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
9. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
10. How does Laurent feel about murdering Camille in "Chapter XXII"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use internal monologue in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Follow Thérèse and Madame Raquin's relationship throughout this novel. How is it developed? What themes are explored through this relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of funeral/death/tomb imagery in this novel. What function does it serve?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)