|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Raquin become unable to speak?
2. What does Grivet believe after Madame Raquin stops talking?
3. After painting in the mornings, what does Laurent do in the afternoons in "Chapter XXV"?
4. What does Laurent dislike about his new clothes in "Chapter XX"?
5. Why does Laurent talk about his old times with Thérèse on their wedding night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the cat do on Thérèse and Laurent's wedding night?
2. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
3. How does Laurent realize Madame Raquin knows he and Thérèse killed Camille?
4. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
5. What does Laurent begin dreaming about after Camille's death?
6. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
7. Why are Thérèse and Laurent nervous on their wedding night?
8. How do Laurent and Thérèse want to end their fear of Camille's ghost?
9. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
10. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of men in Thérèse's life. Include her marriages as well as friendships and family.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the role between love and marriage in the society of "Thérèse Raquin".
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of funeral/death/tomb imagery in this novel. What function does it serve?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)