|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Madame Raquin becomes unable to speak, where does she spend her days?
2. Why is Laurent violent toward Thérèse in "Chapter XXIII"?
3. Why does Laurent threaten Thérèse at the end of "Chapter XXII"?
4. Why do Laurent and Thérèse keep a space between them in "Chapter XXII"?
5. What does Laurent threaten to do if he doesn't get a studio to paint in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Laurent feel about murdering Camille in "Chapter XXII"?
2. Why does Thérèse compare Camille to Laurent in "Chapter XXX"?
3. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
4. How does Thérèse feel about the Thursday night gatherings after Camille's death?
5. What are the Thursday night gatherings like after Madame Raquin's stroke?
6. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
7. How does Madame Raquin feel about the care Thérèse and Laurent give her when she is ill?
8. What makes Thérèse and Laurent decide they can never kiss in "Chapter XXIII"?
9. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
10. How does Laurent realize Madame Raquin knows he and Thérèse killed Camille?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of men in Thérèse's life. Include her marriages as well as friendships and family.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the way the class system in this novel works as a motivating factor. Why is this? Consider Laurent's desire to live an idle life.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use foreshadowing in this novel? Is it effective? Why or why not? Consider the descriptive passages before Camille's death, like when Laurent is painting his portrait.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)