|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Laurent force Thérèse's head to his neck in "Chapter XXI"?
(a) To keep her quiet.
(b) To smell him.
(c) To kiss his wound.
(d) To convince her he loves her.
2. In "Chapter XXVIII", why do Thérèse and Laurent let Madame Raquin listen to their arguments?
(a) So they don't hit each other.
(b) So she can learn the truth.
(c) To have her say who is right.
(d) To cause her pain.
3. After painting in the mornings, what does Laurent do in the afternoons in "Chapter XXV"?
(a) He shops for supplies.
(b) He reads.
(c) He walks around the city.
(d) He takes a nap.
4. In "Chapter XXIII", what does Thérèse do when she admits Camille has triumphed over her?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She cries.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She shakes her head.
5. What does Laurent begin dreaming of in "Chapter XVII"?
(a) Camille's body.
(d) Madame Raquin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Laurent and Thérèse keep a space between them in "Chapter XXII"?
2. Why does Laurent stay under the bridge during the storm?
3. In "Chapter XVIII", what emotion is said to connect Thérèse and Laurent?
4. Why does Laurent finally resolve to marry Thérèse?
5. After Madame Raquin becomes unable to speak, where does she spend her days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the cat do on Thérèse and Laurent's wedding night?
2. How do Laurent and Thérèse react to Madame Raquin's stroke?
3. What makes Thérèse and Laurent decide they can never kiss in "Chapter XXIII"?
4. How does Thérèse feel about the Thursday night gatherings after Camille's death?
5. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
6. How do Laurent and Thérèse want to end their fear of Camille's ghost?
7. What does Laurent begin dreaming about after Camille's death?
8. Why do Laurent and Thérèse take such great care of Madame Raquin when she falls ill?
9. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent decide about Thérèse?
10. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)