|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Laurent stay under the bridge during the storm?
(a) Because he was drunk.
(b) He was waiting for Thérèse.
(c) Because he was lost.
(d) To avoid going home.
2. Why is Laurent violent toward Thérèse in "Chapter XXIII"?
(a) He is mad at her.
(b) He doesn't know how to treat her kindly.
(c) He doesn't realize he is being violent.
(d) He wants to get rid of Camille's spirit.
3. Why does Thérèse begin begging for forgiveness?
(a) Because it makes her feel better.
(b) Because she wants to make Madame Raquin feel better.
(c) Because she believes Camille can hear her.
(d) Because it makes Laurent angry.
4. What does Laurent tell Thérèse when she says she is repenting in "Chapter XXX"?
(a) A fool.
(b) A traitor.
(c) A hypocrite.
(d) A messenger.
5. How does the cat scare Laurent and Thérèse on their wedding night?
(a) He scratches.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He jumps on them.
(d) He meows loudly.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter XXX", what does Madame Raquin do that makes Laurent tell Thérèse to leave her alone?
2. How does Madame Raquin try to communicate in "Chapter XXVII"?
3. How does the narrator describe Thérèse's days after she is married to Laurent?
4. Why do Laurent and Thérèse keep a space between them in "Chapter XXII"?
5. What do Thérèse and Laurent do at the end of "Chapter XXVIII"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
2. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
3. How does Laurent end up officially engaged to Thérèse?
4. What is Thérèse and Laurent's wedding like?
5. What does Laurent do when he rents his studio?
6. How does Madame Raquin feel about Thérèse getting remarried?
7. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
8. What does Madame Raquin do after reading the letter from Laurent's father about his engagement?
9. How does Laurent realize Madame Raquin knows he and Thérèse killed Camille?
10. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)