|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Laurent and Thérèse keep a space between them in "Chapter XXII"?
(a) Because Laurent is sick.
(b) Because they feel Camille's ghost there.
(c) Because Thérèse is sick.
(d) Because Thérèse fears her aunt will get mad.
2. Why do Laurent and Thérèse spend their first few nights married sitting in chairs?
(a) They are afraid to lie down.
(b) They love their new chairs.
(c) They don't have a bed.
(d) They get into deep debates.
3. How does Thérèse think the Thursday night gatherings will help with Camille's death?
(a) They will help his mother remember him.
(b) They will eliminate suspicion.
(c) They will help her forget him.
(d) They will validate her marriage.
4. What happens when Thérèse compares Laurent to Camille in "Chapter XXX"?
(a) Camille looks better.
(b) She can't compare them without crying.
(c) They look about the same.
(d) Laurent looks better.
5. After Madame Raquin becomes unable to speak, where does she spend her days?
(a) In the shop.
(b) In the living room.
(c) In her apartment.
(d) In the dining room.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madame Raquin become unable to speak?
2. Why does Madame Raquin feel Laurent would be an acceptable husband for Thérèse?
3. How does the author describe Thérèse and Laurent's wedding ceremony?
4. What does Thérèse do after Laurent forces her head to his neck in "Chapter XXI"?
5. Where does Laurent spend his night in "Chapter XVII"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Laurent and Thérèse get Madame Raquin to suggest they get married?
2. What does Laurent do when Thérèse starts kissing her aunt daily?
3. How does Laurent feel about murdering Camille in "Chapter XXII"?
4. How do Laurent and Thérèse want to end their fear of Camille's ghost?
5. Why does Thérèse argue against Laurent renting a studio at first?
6. Why can't Madame Raquin tell everyone that she knows Laurent and Thérèse killed Camille?
7. How does Madame Raquin feel about Thérèse getting remarried?
8. What does Madame Raquin do after reading the letter from Laurent's father about his engagement?
9. How does Thérèse show her remorse in "Chapter XXIX"?
10. What are the Thursday night gatherings like after Madame Raquin's stroke?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)