|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Laurent kiss Thérèse while Camille sleeps in "Chapter XI"?
(a) Her forehead.
(b) Her lips.
(c) Her ankle.
(d) Her hand.
2. In "Chapter VII", how does Laurent find time to meet with Thérèse?
(a) He meets with her early in the morning.
(b) He only sees her on weekends.
(c) He sneaks her out at night.
(d) He takes time off work.
3. In "Chapter VII", what does Laurent do when Madame Raquin comes up to Thérèse's room when he is there?
(a) He pretends to be looking for Camille.
(b) He climbs out the window.
(c) He hides.
(d) He greets her kindly.
4. What makes Laurent decide to visit the morgue just two more times?
(a) Fearing he'll seem guilty.
(b) The smell.
(c) The way the workers look at him.
(d) Seeing a body of a man who fell.
5. How does Thérèse know Laurent?
(a) From her childhood.
(b) From Camille's work.
(c) From her aunt's church.
(d) From the shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator say Madame Raquin become Thérèse's guardian?
2. In "Chapter III", why does the narrator say Camille wanted to leave the country?
3. How does Laurent initiate the affair with Thérèse?
4. Why does Laurent continue to visit the shop after Camille's death?
5. How does Laurent respond to the stories about crime in "Chapter X"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Laurent make his living as a painter?
2. In "Chapter IV", what is the Thursday gathering like at the Raquin apartment?
3. How does Thérèse change when Laurent becomes a regular guest in "Chapter V"?
4. In "Chapter X", what crimes are discussed?
5. What is Thérèse's mourning like?
6. How do the newspapers report upon Camille's death?
7. What happens when Thérèse meets the student?
8. What happens when Camille's body ends up in the morgue?
9. How does Thérèse act during the Thursday gatherings once she starts her affair with Laurent?
10. How does Laurent stage the boating accident?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)