|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Michaud confident that the Thursday night gatherings will continue?
(a) Thérèse's wedding.
(b) Grivet promises to keep them going.
(c) Laurent avoiding the shop.
(d) Madame Raquin starts attending them again.
2. Why does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin's face after the first time in "Chapter XXIX"?
(a) Because it makes Laurent upset.
(b) Because it calms her down.
(c) Because she thinks her aunt forgives her.
(d) Because she wants Camille to leave her alone.
3. What does Grivet toast to at Thérèse and Laurent's wedding?
(a) Their health.
(b) Their wealth.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their parents.
4. What does Laurent see in Madame Raquin's face when she realizes he killed Camille?
5. Why does Thérèse begin begging for forgiveness?
(a) Because she believes Camille can hear her.
(b) Because she wants to make Madame Raquin feel better.
(c) Because it makes her feel better.
(d) Because it makes Laurent angry.
6. In "Chapter XXIII", what does Thérèse do when she admits Camille has triumphed over her?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She leaves the room.
(c) She shakes her head.
(d) She cries.
7. What does Laurent do when Madame Raquin realizes he killed Camille?
(a) He carries her to bed.
(b) He tells her to keep it a secret.
(c) He runs out of the room.
(d) He slaps her.
8. Why does Laurent threaten Thérèse at the end of "Chapter XXII"?
(a) He wants Thérèse to kiss him.
(b) He wants to stop worrying about Camille.
(c) He wants to move away to a new apartment.
(d) He is angry at Madame Raquin.
9. In "Chapter XXVIII", what reminds Thérèse about Camille's drowning?
(a) The water temperature.
(b) A rain storm.
(c) The delivery man.
(d) A newspaper article.
10. In "Chapter XXVII", why do Thérèse and Laurent argue about Madame Raquin attending the Thursday night gathering?
(a) They think the guests are cruel to her.
(b) They think she brings Camille's ghost back.
(c) They think she may be too sick.
(d) They fear she will tell their secret.
11. Who does Laurent write to about his engagement to Thérèse?
(a) His brother.
(b) Thérèse's family.
(c) The vicar.
(d) His father.
12. Why do Laurent and Thérèse spend their first few nights married sitting in chairs?
(a) They get into deep debates.
(b) They don't have a bed.
(c) They love their new chairs.
(d) They are afraid to lie down.
13. What does Thérèse see in her aunt when she kisses her in "Chapter XXIX"?
14. Who watches the shop after Madame Raquin becomes unable to speak?
(d) Madame Raquin.
15. Why doesn't Madame Raquin want Thérèse to marry after Camille's death?
(a) She doesn't want to pay for a wedding.
(b) She doesn't want to let a stranger into her life.
(c) She doesn't want Thérèse to move.
(d) She doesn't want to lose any money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What eases Madame Raquin's worries about her paralysis?
2. Why does Laurent talk about his old times with Thérèse on their wedding night?
3. Why do Laurent and Thérèse keep a space between them in "Chapter XXII"?
4. Why does Laurent finally resolve to marry Thérèse?
5. How often does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)