|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Madame Raquin want Thérèse to marry after Camille's death?
(a) She doesn't want to pay for a wedding.
(b) She doesn't want to lose any money.
(c) She doesn't want Thérèse to move.
(d) She doesn't want to let a stranger into her life.
2. How does Madame Raquin try to communicate in "Chapter XXVII"?
(a) She blinks her eyes and nods her head.
(b) She traces words with her finger.
(c) She plays a piano.
(d) She tries sign language.
3. Why does Laurent have a vision of lined up drowned bodies?
(a) He wasn't sure why.
(b) Because he looked at the river.
(c) Because someone mentioned drowning.
(d) Because he walked past the morgue.
4. What does Thérèse do after Laurent tells her to leave Madame Raquin alone in "Chapter XXX"?
(a) She says she loves Camille.
(b) She leaves the room.
(c) She threatens to drown Laurent.
(d) She hugs Madame Raquin.
5. How do Thérèse and Laurent avoid going to bed at night after they are married?
(a) They talk to Madame Raquin.
(b) They invite Grivet over for drinks.
(c) They do chores.
(d) They read until late.
6. How does Thérèse think the Thursday night gatherings will help with Camille's death?
(a) They will validate her marriage.
(b) They will help her forget him.
(c) They will help his mother remember him.
(d) They will eliminate suspicion.
7. Why does Thérèse begin acting depressed about Madame Raquin in "Chapter XIV"?
(a) To get her attention.
(b) Because she wants Laurent to visit.
(c) To stop feeling guilty.
(d) Because she really is depressed.
8. In "Chapter XXIII", why does kissing cause pain for Laurent and Thérèse?
(a) They feel Camille's presence more.
(b) Thérèse has a toothache.
(c) Laurent bites Thérèse.
(d) They don't want to kiss each other.
9. What makes Michaud confident that the Thursday night gatherings will continue?
(a) Grivet promises to keep them going.
(b) Madame Raquin starts attending them again.
(c) Thérèse's wedding.
(d) Laurent avoiding the shop.
10. Why does Laurent want to hurt the cat on his wedding night?
(a) He has never liked the cat.
(b) He is angry at the cat for ruining his night.
(c) He fears the cat will avenge Camille's death.
(d) Thérèse asks him to.
11. Why does Madame Raquin say she is happy to have given her money away?
(a) Because she loves Thérèse like a daughter.
(b) Because she can't think of how to spend it.
(c) Because she no longer feels burdened.
(d) Because of the care Thérèse and Laurent give her.
12. Why does Thérèse begin begging for forgiveness?
(a) Because it makes her feel better.
(b) Because it makes Laurent angry.
(c) Because she wants to make Madame Raquin feel better.
(d) Because she believes Camille can hear her.
13. What does Thérèse see in her aunt when she kisses her in "Chapter XXIX"?
14. Where do Thérèse and Laurent sit and talk the night after their wedding?
(a) In front of the fire.
(b) On a porch.
(c) On the bed.
(d) In the hotel restaurant.
15. What does Laurent do when Madame Raquin realizes he killed Camille?
(a) He runs out of the room.
(b) He tells her to keep it a secret.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He carries her to bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurent threaten to do if he doesn't get a studio to paint in?
2. How does Thérèse try to confuse her aunt in "Chapter XXI"?
3. Why does Laurent stay under the bridge during the storm?
4. What do Thérèse and Laurent do at the end of "Chapter XXVIII"?
5. What does Thérèse do after Laurent forces her head to his neck in "Chapter XXI"?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)