|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter XVII", what does Laurent imagine Camille doing to him?
(a) Slapping him.
(b) Forgiving him.
(c) Shaking his bed.
(d) Punishing him.
2. Why does Laurent talk about his old times with Thérèse on their wedding night?
(a) To try to rekindle their love.
(b) To prove that they were right in their plotting.
(c) To make himself feel better.
(d) To make Thérèse laugh.
3. Why does Laurent force Thérèse's head to his neck in "Chapter XXI"?
(a) To smell him.
(b) To kiss his wound.
(c) To convince her he loves her.
(d) To keep her quiet.
4. What does Thérèse do after Laurent forces her head to his neck in "Chapter XXI"?
(a) She runs away.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She cries.
(d) She spits.
5. After Madame Raquin becomes unable to speak, where does she spend her days?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In her apartment.
(c) In the shop.
(d) In the dining room.
6. How does Thérèse think the Thursday night gatherings will help with Camille's death?
(a) They will validate her marriage.
(b) They will help his mother remember him.
(c) They will eliminate suspicion.
(d) They will help her forget him.
7. Why does Thérèse kiss Laurent in "Chapter XXII"?
(a) Because he orders her to.
(b) Because she wants to love him.
(c) Because her aunt is watching.
(d) Because she is trying to wake him up.
8. In "Chapter XXVIII", what reminds Thérèse about Camille's drowning?
(a) The water temperature.
(b) The delivery man.
(c) A newspaper article.
(d) A rain storm.
9. What does Thérèse do after Laurent tells her to leave Madame Raquin alone in "Chapter XXX"?
(a) She says she loves Camille.
(b) She leaves the room.
(c) She hugs Madame Raquin.
(d) She threatens to drown Laurent.
10. How does Thérèse try to confuse her aunt in "Chapter XXI"?
(a) She plays loud music.
(b) She lies about the cat.
(c) She makes up a story about Grivet.
(d) She messes up the bed.
11. Why does Laurent have a vision of lined up drowned bodies?
(a) Because someone mentioned drowning.
(b) Because he walked past the morgue.
(c) He wasn't sure why.
(d) Because he looked at the river.
12. Why does Madame Raquin say she is happy to have given her money away?
(a) Because she loves Thérèse like a daughter.
(b) Because she can't think of how to spend it.
(c) Because of the care Thérèse and Laurent give her.
(d) Because she no longer feels burdened.
13. Why doesn't Madame Raquin want Thérèse to marry after Camille's death?
(a) She doesn't want to let a stranger into her life.
(b) She doesn't want to lose any money.
(c) She doesn't want to pay for a wedding.
(d) She doesn't want Thérèse to move.
14. In "Chapter XXIII", what does Thérèse do when she admits Camille has triumphed over her?
(a) She leaves the room.
(b) She cries.
(c) She shakes her head.
(d) She laughs.
15. How often does Thérèse kiss Madame Raquin in "Chapter XXIX"?
(a) On Thursday.
(b) Just twice.
(c) Every day.
(d) Every weekend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Laurent spend his night in "Chapter XVII"?
2. How does the cat scare Laurent and Thérèse on their wedding night?
3. Why does Laurent finally resolve to marry Thérèse?
4. What does Grivet toast to at Thérèse and Laurent's wedding?
5. How does Madame Raquin feel when Thérèse confesses to her and asks for forgiveness?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)