|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Laurent have a vision of lined up drowned bodies?
(a) Because someone mentioned drowning.
(b) Because he walked past the morgue.
(c) Because he looked at the river.
(d) He wasn't sure why.
2. What does Laurent do when Madame Raquin realizes he killed Camille?
(a) He runs out of the room.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He tells her to keep it a secret.
(d) He carries her to bed.
3. Why is Thérèse disgusted with kissing Madame Raquin's face in "Chapter XXIX"?
(a) Because it is cold.
(b) Because she feels guilty.
(c) Because Laurent teases her about it.
(d) Because she is old.
4. In "Chapter XXX", what does Madame Raquin do that makes Laurent tell Thérèse to leave her alone?
(a) She waves her hands.
(b) She cries.
(c) She shuts her eyes.
(d) She moans.
5. Who watches the shop after Madame Raquin becomes unable to speak?
(a) Madame Raquin.
6. Why does Thérèse kiss Laurent in "Chapter XXII"?
(a) Because she wants to love him.
(b) Because she is trying to wake him up.
(c) Because he orders her to.
(d) Because her aunt is watching.
7. Why does Thérèse begin begging for forgiveness?
(a) Because she believes Camille can hear her.
(b) Because she wants to make Madame Raquin feel better.
(c) Because it makes her feel better.
(d) Because it makes Laurent angry.
8. How does Michaud interact with Madame Raquin after she becomes unable to speak?
(a) He reads to her.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He answers for her.
9. What eases Madame Raquin's worries about her paralysis?
(a) Thérèse's happiness.
(b) Laurent's jokes.
(c) Grivet's help.
(d) Michaud's medical advice.
10. Why is Laurent violent toward Thérèse in "Chapter XXIII"?
(a) He wants to get rid of Camille's spirit.
(b) He doesn't realize he is being violent.
(c) He is mad at her.
(d) He doesn't know how to treat her kindly.
11. In "Chapter XXV", what does Laurent's friend say about his paintings?
(a) They resemble each other.
(b) They are very mature.
(c) They are a little clumsy.
(d) They are all so green.
12. Why do Laurent and Thérèse want Madame Raquin to suggest the get married?
(a) So they won't have to decide themselves.
(b) So they can wait longer before getting married.
(c) To have her blessing.
(d) To avoid looking guilty.
13. Where do Thérèse and Laurent sit and talk the night after their wedding?
(a) In the hotel restaurant.
(b) In front of the fire.
(c) On the bed.
(d) On a porch.
14. In "Chapter XVII", where does Laurent go after work?
(b) To the pub.
(c) To a library.
(d) To see Thérèse.
15. Why do Laurent and Thérèse become terrified on their wedding night?
(a) They fear Camille's ghost.
(b) They think someone is watching them.
(c) They don't want to be with each other.
(d) They realize they are guilty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter XVIII", what emotion is said to connect Thérèse and Laurent?
2. How does Thérèse first respond when Laurent says he wants to rent a studio?
3. Why does Madame Raquin feel Laurent would be an acceptable husband for Thérèse?
4. How does Madame Raquin describe the marriage between Thérèse and Laurent?
5. What does Laurent begin dreaming of in "Chapter XVII"?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)