|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Laurent and Thérèse keep a space between them in "Chapter XXII"?
(a) Because they feel Camille's ghost there.
(b) Because Thérèse is sick.
(c) Because Laurent is sick.
(d) Because Thérèse fears her aunt will get mad.
2. In "Chapter XXV", what does Laurent's friend say about his paintings?
(a) They are very mature.
(b) They resemble each other.
(c) They are all so green.
(d) They are a little clumsy.
3. How does the narrator describe Thérèse's days after she is married to Laurent?
4. What happens when Thérèse compares Laurent to Camille in "Chapter XXX"?
(a) She can't compare them without crying.
(b) They look about the same.
(c) Laurent looks better.
(d) Camille looks better.
5. How does the cat scare Laurent and Thérèse on their wedding night?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He meows loudly.
(c) He scratches.
(d) He jumps on them.
6. How does Madame Raquin feel when Thérèse confesses to her and asks for forgiveness?
7. What does Grivet toast to at Thérèse and Laurent's wedding?
(a) Their children.
(b) Their parents.
(c) Their wealth.
(d) Their health.
8. What does Madame Raquin do when Thérèse and Laurent's engagement becomes official?
(a) She throws a party.
(b) She gives them her money.
(c) She hugs them both.
(d) She moves out of the shop.
9. What does Thérèse do after Laurent tells her to leave Madame Raquin alone in "Chapter XXX"?
(a) She threatens to drown Laurent.
(b) She hugs Madame Raquin.
(c) She leaves the room.
(d) She says she loves Camille.
10. Why doesn't Madame Raquin want Thérèse to marry after Camille's death?
(a) She doesn't want Thérèse to move.
(b) She doesn't want to let a stranger into her life.
(c) She doesn't want to lose any money.
(d) She doesn't want to pay for a wedding.
11. Where does Laurent spend his night in "Chapter XVII"?
(a) A wine shop.
(b) His apartment.
(c) The Raquins' shop.
(d) A hotel.
12. Why does Thérèse begin begging for forgiveness?
(a) Because it makes her feel better.
(b) Because it makes Laurent angry.
(c) Because she believes Camille can hear her.
(d) Because she wants to make Madame Raquin feel better.
13. In "Chapter XXIII", why does kissing cause pain for Laurent and Thérèse?
(a) Laurent bites Thérèse.
(b) Thérèse has a toothache.
(c) They feel Camille's presence more.
(d) They don't want to kiss each other.
14. Why won't Thérèse take down Laurent's portrait of Camille?
(a) She likes to look at it.
(b) She is afraid of breaking it.
(c) She is afraid to.
(d) She can't reach it.
15. How does Michaud interact with Madame Raquin after she becomes unable to speak?
(a) He answers for her.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He ignores her.
(d) He reads to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Thérèse and Laurent do at the end of "Chapter XXVIII"?
2. How do Thérèse and Laurent decide to avoid hallucinating about Camille in the future in "Chapter XXIII"?
3. Why does Laurent force Thérèse's head to his neck in "Chapter XXI"?
4. How does Laurent describe his scar in "Chapter XVII"?
5. How does Madame Raquin try to communicate in "Chapter XXVII"?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)