|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Chapter VI", why does Laurent start coming to the Raquin apartment nearly every day?
(a) To help in the shop.
(b) To paint a portrait.
(c) To have tea.
(d) To share books.
2. When Madame Raquin cries in "Chapter XV", what do her guests recommend?
(a) That she leave the room.
(b) That she write a poem.
(c) That she keep crying.
(d) That she get over her pain.
3. Who did Michaud used to work for?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) The governor.
(c) A university.
(d) The police.
4. In "Chapter I", what does the old woman do in the shop?
(c) Organizes the ribbons.
(d) Tells jokes.
5. What makes Laurent decide to visit the morgue just two more times?
(a) The way the workers look at him.
(b) Seeing a body of a man who fell.
(c) The smell.
(d) Fearing he'll seem guilty.
6. In "Chapter I", what does the man do in the shop?
(a) Carries the boxes.
(b) Talks to the ladies.
(c) Sweeps the floor.
(d) Steals hats.
7. Where does Laurent weigh the pros and cons of killing Camille?
(a) In Thérèse's apartment.
(b) On the metro.
(c) In his bed.
(d) At work.
8. Why doesn't Camille ever have a real education?
(a) His mother prevents it.
(b) He never attends school.
(c) His father makes him work instead.
(d) He lives too far from school.
9. Why does Thérèse keep running downstairs in "Chapter IV"?
(a) To make sure the shop is locked.
(b) To clean.
(c) To help customers.
(d) To get more food.
10. Where does Laurent kiss Thérèse while Camille sleeps in "Chapter XI"?
(a) Her hand.
(b) Her lips.
(c) Her forehead.
(d) Her ankle.
11. In "Chapter VI", what convinces Laurent he can be Thérèse's lover?
(a) His self confidence in his talent.
(b) His competition with Camille.
(c) The way she watches him.
(d) The way Camille treats her.
12. What happens when Thérèse finally finds interest in the outside world after Camille's death?
(a) She finds a new job.
(b) She meets a young student.
(c) She decides to travel.
(d) She tries new foods.
13. In "Chapter IX", what do Laurent and Thérèse say would happen if Camille were to have an accident?
(a) Their dreams would come true.
(b) They could tell Madame Raquin about their relationship.
(c) They would have more money.
(d) They may be blamed.
14. At the end of "Chapter I", what does Thérèse do after leaving the shop?
(a) She looks out her window.
(b) She goes to bed.
(c) She writes in a journal.
(d) She goes for a walk.
15. Why does the narrator say Madame Raquin become Thérèse's guardian?
(a) Thérèse's mother dies.
(b) Thérèse needs a job.
(c) Thérèse runs away from home.
(d) Thérèse becomes to sick to care for herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter VIII", how does Laurent describe his affair with Thérèse?
2. What does Camille do the Laurent before being thrown in the river?
3. When does the Raquin family entertain guests?
4. What does Laurent tell the rescuers Camille was doing before he fell in the water?
5. Why does Laurent capsize the boat after throwing Camille in?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)