|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madam Raquin help Thérèse run a shop in Paris?
(a) To keep busy.
(b) To give Thérèse directions.
(c) To provide more money for the family.
(d) To make sure she doesn't get left behind.
2. What does Camille do most nights after work?
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Goes to the pub.
(d) Works in the shop.
3. Who did Michaud used to work for?
(a) The governor.
(b) The police.
(c) A university.
(d) A lawyer.
4. Why does Camille get champagne in "Chapter VI"?
(a) To celebrate Laurent's painting.
(b) To celebrate his mother's publication.
(c) To celebrate his new job.
(d) To celebrate his wedding anniversary.
5. In "Chapter II", what does the narrator say is missing from Thérèse and Camille's relationship?
(d) Family approval.
6. When does the Raquin family entertain guests?
7. Why does Laurent continue to visit the shop after Camille's death?
(a) To comfort Madame Raquin.
(b) To continue his affair with Thérèse.
(c) To spend money.
(d) To watch Thérèse work.
8. How does Laurent start his attack on Camille in "Chapter XI"?
(a) He tickles him.
(b) He grabs his wrist.
(c) He slaps him.
(d) He hits him in the head.
9. How does Thérèse look after mourning for Camille?
10. Where is the haberdashery shop that Thérèse works at located?
(a) A busy main street.
(b) Above someone's home.
(c) In a garage.
(d) An alley.
11. In "Chapter VI", why does Laurent start coming to the Raquin apartment nearly every day?
(a) To paint a portrait.
(b) To help in the shop.
(c) To have tea.
(d) To share books.
12. Why does Suzanne go when Madame Raquin learns about Camille's death?
(a) To tell her the news herself.
(b) To help clear out his apartment.
(c) To comfort her.
(d) To stop a fight.
13. Why does Laurent say he can't live the life of a painter?
(a) He isn't good enough.
(b) He doesn't have the inspiration.
(c) He wants money.
(d) He dislikes the smell of paint.
14. In "Chapter VII", how does Laurent find time to meet with Thérèse?
(a) He meets with her early in the morning.
(b) He takes time off work.
(c) He only sees her on weekends.
(d) He sneaks her out at night.
15. How does Madame Raquin know Michaud?
(a) Her neice married his son.
(b) Her husband used to work with him.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They used to live in the same house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter XI", were do Thérèse, Laurent and Camille rest?
2. In "Chapter VII", what does Laurent do when Madame Raquin comes up to Thérèse's room when he is there?
3. How does Thérèse feel about planning an accident for Camille?
4. How does Laurent feel about being caught for killing Camille?
5. What game do the Raquins play in "Chapter IV"?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)