|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the Raquin family entertain guests?
2. In Grivet's story in "Chapter X", why does the servant go to jail?
(a) For running away.
(b) For quitting her job.
(c) For poisoning his master.
(d) For stealing silver.
3. In "Chapter IX", what is one pro Laurent thinks of for killing Camille?
(a) The money.
(b) The fame.
(c) He could prove his power.
(d) He could marry Thérèse.
4. How does Laurent feel about being caught for killing Camille?
(a) He is very worried about it.
(b) He thinks of who could help protect him.
(c) He vows to not get caught.
(d) He figures he can pay his way out of jail.
5. Why does Suzanne go when Madame Raquin learns about Camille's death?
(a) To stop a fight.
(b) To tell her the news herself.
(c) To comfort her.
(d) To help clear out his apartment.
6. Why does Camille get champagne in "Chapter VI"?
(a) To celebrate his wedding anniversary.
(b) To celebrate Laurent's painting.
(c) To celebrate his mother's publication.
(d) To celebrate his new job.
7. In "Chapter VI", how does the narrator describe Laurent's portrait?
8. In "Chapter VII", how does Laurent find time to meet with Thérèse?
(a) He only sees her on weekends.
(b) He sneaks her out at night.
(c) He takes time off work.
(d) He meets with her early in the morning.
9. In "Chapter XI", who gets in the boat first?
(a) The captain.
10. Why does Laurent say he lost the financial support of his father?
(a) Because he turned 21.
(b) Because his father died.
(c) Because his father lost their money in a bad investment.
(d) Because he tried to make a living painting.
11. In "Chapter XI", what does Laurent first think to do to kill Camille?
(a) Poison him.
(b) Drown him.
(c) Strangle him.
(d) Hit him in the head.
12. In "Chapter IX", why does Laurent see less of Thérèse?
(a) He has to work.
(b) He meets another woman.
(c) He becomes sick.
(d) He goes out of town.
13. In "Chapter VI", what convinces Laurent he can be Thérèse's lover?
(a) His self confidence in his talent.
(b) The way she watches him.
(c) His competition with Camille.
(d) The way Camille treats her.
14. How does Laurent begin his affair with the model?
(a) He paints her.
(b) He meets her at a friend's house.
(c) He meets her in a park.
(d) He hires her as a maid.
15. What does Laurent tell the rescuers Camille was doing before he fell in the water?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Chapter II", what does the narrator say is missing from Thérèse and Camille's relationship?
2. In "Chapter VII", what worries Laurent most about Thérèse's involvement in their affair?
3. How long does Laurent fear he may have to go without seeing Thérèse while planning how to kill Camille?
4. In "Chapter VI", why does Laurent start coming to the Raquin apartment nearly every day?
5. How does Madame Raquin know Michaud?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)