|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did A learn the expression that B laughs at?
2. What did A lie about to impress her future husband?
3. How old does A think she is?
4. How did the bracelet incident change the way A felt about jewelry?
5. What did A win prizes for after her marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do A, B, and C react to the son's arrival?
2. What does A say about her mother in Act 1, Part 2?
3. How did A's father die?
4. What accident does A relate in Act 2, Part 3?
5. To whom is A referring when she uses the pronoun "he"?
6. What does A say about her son in Act 1, Part 4?
7. What happens in the premonition that A describes in Act 2, Part 4?
8. What does A say about her personal strength, in Act 1, Part 4?
9. What is B's rationale for the racist words that A uses?
10. What qualities did Sis have that made A jealous of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the second act, it becomes clear that B and C are younger versions of A, and each of them tell their versions of the story. What happened to make A and B so impatient with C's perspective? Was there any defining event that marked the transition from C to B, and from B to A? If so, what was it? If not, what defines these women at each stage of their life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A, B, and C are female characters in different stages of life, but they are also archetypes. What do they each represent? What qualities do they possess? Are the qualities each woman possesses common to all women in her stage of life? Why or why not? Do you think A, B, and C are accurate archetypes? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A, B, and C all have different ideas of the best time of life. C feels that all the good times ended with her, B feels that middle age is the best time, and A feels that the best time is at the end. What are the reasons that each woman gives for her favorite time of life? Which one do you most agree with? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,023 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)