|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting at the desk at the beginning of Act 1?
2. According to C, why are B and C not as excited about the movie star as A is?
3. Who is C?
4. What did A win prizes for after her marriage?
5. How does B respond to A's tantrum in Act 1, Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the argument A, B, and C have in Act 2, Part 2, why do people cheat?
2. What is the significance of A, B, and C's lack of names?
3. How did Sis feel about A's dating habits?
4. How does C describe herself in Act 2, Part 1?
5. What does C tell A in Act 2, Part 4?
6. Who are the three main characters?
7. How does C describe the young man she lost her virginity to?
8. What does B mean when she says that they were with one man for forty years, "more or less"?
9. What does B represent?
10. What happens as A dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When A is upset about forgetting things, C suggests that there is safety and salvation in forgetting things. Do the other events of the play suggest that it is possible to do so? Or is it necessary to come to terms with the past and resolve the issues of one's past with the reality of one's present? How does A resolve the issues of her past before her death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The figures of the son and the husband are archetypes for males. Despite their difference in age they share many qualities, which is why the pronoun "he" is used interchangeably to refer to both of them. What are the qualities that the son and husband share? How does A view them both? What message is Albee sending the audience about males in general? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A and her son had a falling-out, which was a result of many things that happened between them. How did her son's sexuality influence A's relationship with him? How did it affect their relationship when the son confronted A with his knowledge of her affair? Why? What other factors affected their relationship? What enabled them to reconcile? Was it a true reconciliation? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)