|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is B?
2. What worries C, regarding A's bathroom habits?
3. Why does C think A is saying she is 91?
4. Why does A feel that she always had to be strong?
5. A refers repeatedly to the fact that Sis did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of A, B, and C's lack of names?
2. What does A say about her son in Act 1, Part 4?
3. How did A's father die?
4. Why are A and B so impatient with C?
5. What reassurance does C plead with A and B for, in Act 2, Part 4?
6. How does C describe the young man she lost her virginity to?
7. What happened during the bracelet incident?
8. What does B say about the best time of life?
9. What does C tell A in Act 2, Part 4?
10. What is revealed about B and C at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The figures of the son and the husband are archetypes for males. Despite their difference in age they share many qualities, which is why the pronoun "he" is used interchangeably to refer to both of them. What are the qualities that the son and husband share? How does A view them both? What message is Albee sending the audience about males in general? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A describes the changes that came over her mother after her father's death, and both B and C say that she couldn't possibly have changed so much In what ways did she change significantly? What caused their mother to change so much? What effect did these changes have on A and Sis's relationship with their mother? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In the second act, it becomes clear that B and C are younger versions of A, and each of them tell their versions of the story. What happened to make A and B so impatient with C's perspective? Was there any defining event that marked the transition from C to B, and from B to A? If so, what was it? If not, what defines these women at each stage of their life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)