|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are A's favorite gemstones?
2. Who helps A into the bathroom?
3. How did A feel about being tall when she was younger?
4. Why did Sis have to be forced into marriage?
5. What does A's son sometimes bring when he comes to visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems arose between B and her son in his adolescence?
2. Who are the three main characters?
3. What is B's rationale for the racist words that A uses?
4. According to the argument A, B, and C have in Act 2, Part 2, why do people cheat?
5. How does A react while she is telling the bracelet story?
6. What happened during the bracelet incident?
7. Why does A cry after mentioning that she was taller than Sis in Act 1, Part 3?
8. How do A and C feel about jewelry?
9. What happened to A's arm?
10. What reassurance does C plead with A and B for, in Act 2, Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A makes references to her son, and their estrangement, before the son materializes in person in Act 2. What caused the estrangement between A and her son? How was this estrangement resolved? Was A able to forgive her son? If not, how was their reconciliation reached? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A and her son had a falling-out, which was a result of many things that happened between them. How did her son's sexuality influence A's relationship with him? How did it affect their relationship when the son confronted A with his knowledge of her affair? Why? What other factors affected their relationship? What enabled them to reconcile? Was it a true reconciliation? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Fear of death and making peace with that fear is an important theme in the play. What is C's attitude toward death? What about B's? How does A feel about death? How does her attitude differ from B's and C's? What changes have enabled A to come to terms with her fear of death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)