|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does B tell C about empathy?
2. Where did A learn the expression that B laughs at?
3. How do B and C know that A is still alive?
4. What was A's husband doing when he injured his shoulder?
5. How does C feel about B's idea about children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are A and B so impatient with C?
2. To whom is A referring when she uses the pronoun "he"?
3. What does B mean when she says that they were with one man for forty years, "more or less"?
4. What is the significance of A, B, and C's lack of names?
5. How does A's son feel about her use of racial slurs?
6. What does A say about her personal strength, in Act 1, Part 4?
7. According to the argument A, B, and C have in Act 2, Part 2, why do people cheat?
8. What does A say about her in-laws in Act 2, Part 2?
9. How does C describe herself in Act 2, Part 1?
10. How do A and C feel about jewelry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A's disjointed memories serve several purposes throughout the play. How do they allow for exposition? Is this an effective method of exposition? Why or why not? How do these memories highlight A's mental deterioration as it parallels her physical deterioration? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A feels that her jewelry, and all it represented, was fake. C says that to her being given jewelry means that she is valued, and that is not at all fake. Why does C feel so differently from A? What happened to A to make her lose her love for jewelry? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
What is one of the major differences between A and Sis? Why did A feel superior to Sis because of her joy in sex? How did A lose her joy in sex? What effect did this have on A's character? How did it affect her relationship with Sis? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)