|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the doctors want to amputate A's arm?
2. What happened to A's husband's shoulder?
3. How does C feel about B's idea about children?
4. Why does A feel that she always had to be strong?
5. Who is A?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does A's son feel about her use of racial slurs?
2. What does C say about how she and Sis made a living in Act 2, Part 1?
3. How does C respond when A tells her to "grow up" in Act 2, Part 1?
4. How did A's father die?
5. In Act 1, Part 2, what does C say about A's finances?
6. What happened during the bracelet incident?
7. How did Sis feel about A's dating habits?
8. What is the significance of Sis's character?
9. What do B and C say about empathy in Act 1, Part 4?
10. What is the significance of A, B, and C's lack of names?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
C is offended by A's use of racist words throughout the play. B defends A, saying that the words don't mean anything, they are just the words that A learned to use. Does this excuse A's use of the words? Do you think that A's use of these words is malicious or, as B says, unconscious? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
C cannot understand why she marries her husband, after B's description of him. What qualities do you think C would value in a husband? Why does she have trouble understanding why she marries her husband? What reason does A give for why she married her husband? How does C feel about those reasons? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In the second act, it becomes clear that B and C are younger versions of A, and each of them tell their versions of the story. What happened to make A and B so impatient with C's perspective? Was there any defining event that marked the transition from C to B, and from B to A? If so, what was it? If not, what defines these women at each stage of their life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)