|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does B respond to A's tantrum in Act 1, Part 4?
2. A was more careful than Sis about what?
3. Where did A learn the expression that B laughs at?
4. What worries C, regarding A's bathroom habits?
5. Who checks to see if A is still alive at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does A say about the best time of life?
2. Who are the three main characters?
3. What happened to A's arm?
4. What happens to A at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
5. What does B represent?
6. What is the significance of A, B, and C's lack of names?
7. What was the setting for the bracelet incident that occurred between A and her husband?
8. What do B and C say about empathy in Act 1, Part 4?
9. What does A hope for as she looks at herself in the hospital bed in Act 2, Part 1?
10. How does C describe herself in Act 2, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
C is offended by A's use of racist words throughout the play. B defends A, saying that the words don't mean anything, they are just the words that A learned to use. Does this excuse A's use of the words? Do you think that A's use of these words is malicious or, as B says, unconscious? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The figures of the son and the husband are archetypes for males. Despite their difference in age they share many qualities, which is why the pronoun "he" is used interchangeably to refer to both of them. What are the qualities that the son and husband share? How does A view them both? What message is Albee sending the audience about males in general? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Fear of death and making peace with that fear is an important theme in the play. What is C's attitude toward death? What about B's? How does A feel about death? How does her attitude differ from B's and C's? What changes have enabled A to come to terms with her fear of death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)