|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does A think her son loves more than her?
2. Who is onstage at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
3. What does A ask at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
4. What does B tell C about A's use of racial slurs?
5. Who is C?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does A say about jewelry at the beginning of Act 1, Part 4?
2. What is B's rationale for the racist words that A uses?
3. What qualities did Sis have that made A jealous of her?
4. What does A say about her in-laws in Act 2, Part 2?
5. What does B say about the best time of life?
6. What does A hope for as she looks at herself in the hospital bed in Act 2, Part 1?
7. What happened to A's arm?
8. How do A and C feel about jewelry?
9. What was the setting for the bracelet incident that occurred between A and her husband?
10. What happens in the premonition that A describes in Act 2, Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A turning point in the play was when A had her stroke at the end of Act 1. What are the changes that take place for A between Act 1 and Act 2 (aside from the obvious)? How does her stroke enable her to begin to come to terms with her past? Would she be able to make these changes in her character in any other way? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
C is offended by A's use of racist words throughout the play. B defends A, saying that the words don't mean anything, they are just the words that A learned to use. Does this excuse A's use of the words? Do you think that A's use of these words is malicious or, as B says, unconscious? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A, B, and C are female characters in different stages of life, but they are also archetypes. What do they each represent? What qualities do they possess? Are the qualities each woman possesses common to all women in her stage of life? Why or why not? Do you think A, B, and C are accurate archetypes? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)