|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does B get irritated with C in Act 1, Part 2?
2. How does A feel about the fact that most of her friends are dead?
3. What does A talk about at the end of Act 1, Part 3?
4. Who is sitting on the bench, at the foot of the bed, at the beginning of Act 1?
5. Who helps A into the bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the three main characters?
2. What do B and C say about empathy in Act 1, Part 4?
3. What qualities did Sis have that made A jealous of her?
4. What accident does A relate in Act 2, Part 3?
5. How did Sis feel about A's dating habits?
6. According to the argument A, B, and C have in Act 2, Part 2, why do people cheat?
7. In Act 1, Part 2, what does C say about A's finances?
8. What happened to A's arm?
9. What happens to A at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
10. What does C decide to do after her conversation with B about death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
C is offended by A's use of racist words throughout the play. B defends A, saying that the words don't mean anything, they are just the words that A learned to use. Does this excuse A's use of the words? Do you think that A's use of these words is malicious or, as B says, unconscious? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The figures of the son and the husband are archetypes for males. Despite their difference in age they share many qualities, which is why the pronoun "he" is used interchangeably to refer to both of them. What are the qualities that the son and husband share? How does A view them both? What message is Albee sending the audience about males in general? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Fear of death and making peace with that fear is an important theme in the play. What is C's attitude toward death? What about B's? How does A feel about death? How does her attitude differ from B's and C's? What changes have enabled A to come to terms with her fear of death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)