|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does A say about Sis in Act 1, Part 2?
2. How does B respond to A's situation at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
3. Who told A they would not come to see her if she continued to use words like "wop"?
4. A thinks that all of her staff do what?
5. What did A lie about to impress her future husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. When C asks for more details about her husband in Act 2, Part 2, how does B describe him?
2. What does C decide to do after her conversation with B about death?
3. What qualities did Sis have that made A jealous of her?
4. Who are the three main characters?
5. What accident does A relate in Act 2, Part 3?
6. How did A's father die?
7. What do B and C say about the movie star A met?
8. According to the argument A, B, and C have in Act 2, Part 2, why do people cheat?
9. What happened during the bracelet incident?
10. In Act 1, Part 2, what does C say about A's finances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When A is upset about forgetting things, C suggests that there is safety and salvation in forgetting things. Do the other events of the play suggest that it is possible to do so? Or is it necessary to come to terms with the past and resolve the issues of one's past with the reality of one's present? How does A resolve the issues of her past before her death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A's broken arm is not healing, and the doctors want to amputate, but A refuses. What is the symbolism of A's broken arm, and her refusal to have it amputated? What quality of hers prevents her from following doctor's orders? What other effects has this quality had on her life? How does A's broken arm tie in with the story about her husband's shoulder injury? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
C is offended by A's use of racist words throughout the play. B defends A, saying that the words don't mean anything, they are just the words that A learned to use. Does this excuse A's use of the words? Do you think that A's use of these words is malicious or, as B says, unconscious? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)