|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sitting on the bench, at the foot of the bed, at the beginning of Act 1?
2. Who was A taller than?
3. What does A ask at the beginning of Act 1, Part 2?
4. Why does A begin to cry in Act 1, Part 1?
5. What happened as a result of the doctors' recommended treatment for A's husband's shoulder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does A say about her friends in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What happened to A's arm?
3. In Act 1, Part 2, what does C say about A's finances?
4. What does A hope for as she looks at herself in the hospital bed in Act 2, Part 1?
5. To whom is A referring when she uses the pronoun "he"?
6. What does A say about her reconciliation with her son in Act 2, Part 3?
7. How do A, B, and C react to the son's arrival?
8. When C asks for more details about her husband in Act 2, Part 2, how does B describe him?
9. What does A say about her in-laws in Act 2, Part 2?
10. How did Sis feel about A's dating habits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A, B, and C all have different ideas of the best time of life. C feels that all the good times ended with her, B feels that middle age is the best time, and A feels that the best time is at the end. What are the reasons that each woman gives for her favorite time of life? Which one do you most agree with? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Fear of death and making peace with that fear is an important theme in the play. What is C's attitude toward death? What about B's? How does A feel about death? How does her attitude differ from B's and C's? What changes have enabled A to come to terms with her fear of death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The bracelet story is a turning point in A's life, as well as in the play's plot. How did the bracelet incident change A's life? How did it change her marriage? What long-lasting effects did it have on A's character? How did it affect her emotionally? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)