|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does C say about memories in Act 1, Part 3?
2. What does A have a tantrum about in Act 1, Part 4?
3. Whose arm is broken in Act 1, Part 1?
4. Why does A begin to cry in Act 1, Part 1?
5. According to C, why are B and C not as excited about the movie star as A is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does C tell A in Act 2, Part 4?
2. How did A's father die?
3. What does A say about her friends in Act 1, Part 3?
4. How does A react while she is telling the bracelet story?
5. What happens to A at the end of Act 1, Part 4?
6. What does A say about riding in Act 1, Part 2?
7. What was the setting for the bracelet incident that occurred between A and her husband?
8. What is revealed about B and C at the beginning of Act 2, Part 1?
9. What does A say about her living will in Act 2, Part 1?
10. Why are A and B so impatient with C?
Essay Topic 1
A's disjointed memories serve several purposes throughout the play. How do they allow for exposition? Is this an effective method of exposition? Why or why not? How do these memories highlight A's mental deterioration as it parallels her physical deterioration? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In the second act, it becomes clear that B and C are younger versions of A, and each of them tell their versions of the story. What happened to make A and B so impatient with C's perspective? Was there any defining event that marked the transition from C to B, and from B to A? If so, what was it? If not, what defines these women at each stage of their life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A feels that her jewelry, and all it represented, was fake. C says that to her being given jewelry means that she is valued, and that is not at all fake. Why does C feel so differently from A? What happened to A to make her lose her love for jewelry? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,036 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)