|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does B get irritated with C in Act 1, Part 2?
2. Who is sitting at the desk at the beginning of Act 1?
3. A thinks that all of her staff do what?
4. What did A's husband often buy her?
5. Why does the glass get broken in Act 1, Part 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does C respond when A tells her to "grow up" in Act 2, Part 1?
2. What is the significance of Sis's character?
3. What is B's rationale for the racist words that A uses?
4. According to B, what changed about her mother after her father died?
5. What does A say about her reconciliation with her son in Act 2, Part 3?
6. What does A say about her personal strength, in Act 1, Part 4?
7. What does A say about her living will in Act 2, Part 1?
8. How does A react while she is telling the bracelet story?
9. What accident does A relate in Act 2, Part 3?
10. What happened to A's husband's shoulder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When A is upset about forgetting things, C suggests that there is safety and salvation in forgetting things. Do the other events of the play suggest that it is possible to do so? Or is it necessary to come to terms with the past and resolve the issues of one's past with the reality of one's present? How does A resolve the issues of her past before her death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A, B, and C are female characters in different stages of life, but they are also archetypes. What do they each represent? What qualities do they possess? Are the qualities each woman possesses common to all women in her stage of life? Why or why not? Do you think A, B, and C are accurate archetypes? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A, B, and C all have different ideas about why people cheat. Do you agree that men and women cheat for different reasons? If not, what do you think is the main reason people cheat on their spouses? Why do you think that these women, in particular, feel this way? What point is Albee trying to make through this conversation? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)