|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is A?
2. Why does A start crying in act 1, part 3?
3. What does A say about the boys she used to dance with?
4. Why does the bracelet incident affect A so deeply?
5. A reveals in Act 1, Part 2 that who had an affair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of A, B, and C's lack of names?
2. What does A hope for as she looks at herself in the hospital bed in Act 2, Part 1?
3. How does C describe the young man she lost her virginity to?
4. What does B mean when she says that they were with one man for forty years, "more or less"?
5. What is the significance of Sis's character?
6. How do A and C feel about jewelry?
7. What do B and C say about the movie star A met?
8. What does C decide to do after her conversation with B about death?
9. What was the setting for the bracelet incident that occurred between A and her husband?
10. What does A say about riding in Act 1, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear of death and making peace with that fear is an important theme in the play. What is C's attitude toward death? What about B's? How does A feel about death? How does her attitude differ from B's and C's? What changes have enabled A to come to terms with her fear of death? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sis is an archetype of the sibling rival. In what ways was A jealous of Sis, or competing with her? What qualities did A have which Sis didn't? How did A feel about the qualities she possessed that Sis didn't? How did their parents treat A and Sis? Was there any difference? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A, B, and C all have different ideas of the best time of life. C feels that all the good times ended with her, B feels that middle age is the best time, and A feels that the best time is at the end. What are the reasons that each woman gives for her favorite time of life? Which one do you most agree with? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)