|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sings, "They say I have a lovely ankle and the best proportions in the city"?
2. When Mrs. Peachum comes to take Polly from the jail, what does she call Macheath?
3. What is Mac concerned about "coming out" to Brown?
4. What does the "treacherous woman's" name begin with referred to in the palm reading?
5. How does Macheath pay Smith for his purchase in the jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Brecht's allusions to the Bible in The Threepenny Opera. Who quotes passages from the Bible and what purpose do they serve? What symbols can be seen as Biblical references? What point (or points) regarding religion do you think Brecht is portraying in this play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe examples of foreshadowing in The Threepenny Opera. Define the term "Foreshadowing" and explain how and why Brecht uses it in the play. Cite examples from the text, the songs, and the actions of characters in the play.
Essay Topic 3
If Brecht is alive today, what do you think he says about American politics and social philosophy? What does he say globally? Use examples from the text and Brecht's life to support your discussion.
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)