|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Peachum tell Brown that Macheath must be in the gallows?
2. Who sings, "They say I have a lovely ankle and the best proportions in the city"?
3. Who sings the Jealousy Duet?
4. Which Egyptian king does Peachum tell Brown about?
5. What does the "treacherous woman's" name begin with referred to in the palm reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the time period and setting of The Threepenny Opera. What events occur to create the economic and social climate that the play inhabits? How does this play into the musical?
Essay Topic 2
What is the major conflict in The Threepenny Opera? Define this conflict in both literal terms and symbolic or figurative terms. Where does the conflict arise? Which characters are in conflict? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe examples of foreshadowing in The Threepenny Opera. Define the term "Foreshadowing" and explain how and why Brecht uses it in the play. Cite examples from the text, the songs, and the actions of characters in the play.
This section contains 197 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)