|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucy bring to Mac in the jail?
2. Why are people jamming the streets in Act Three Scene Nine?
3. When speaking to Lucy in Act Three, when does Polly say she marries Macheath?
4. How does Macheath pay Smith for his purchase in the jail?
5. Who offers to "settle the bill" when Macheath is taken away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The Threepenny Opera differ from more traditional musicals of its time? How does it differ today? Use examples from the text and references to prior productions to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Describe examples of how Brecht's life is reflected in The Threepenny Opera. How are his political beliefs reflected? How is his personal life reflected? How does he reflect upon his career in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term Deus Ex Machina. Where does this theatrical device originate? How does it apply to The Threepenny Opera? Why do you think Brecht chooses to implement this?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)