|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act Two Scene Four take place?
2. Who does Mac knock to the ground in Act One Scene Two?
3. What present do the thugs give to Polly?
4. What is the setting of the opening of Act One Scene Two?
5. Where is the carpet from at Macheath and Polly's feast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Lucy and Polly. How are they alike? How are they different?
2. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
3. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
4. How does Tiger Brown feel about Macheath's arrest? Why?
5. What is the setting for Act One Scene Two? Why is this significant?
6. What are the gang's plans for the coronation? What does Macheath tell them?
7. Why doesn't Tiger Brown arrest Macheath? What is their relationship?
8. Why does Polly go to Lucy's home in Act Three? Does she get what she comes for?
9. What does Jenny tell Macheath when she reads his palm?
10. What does Lucy reveal to Polly in Act Three at her home? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Describe examples of how Brecht's life is reflected in The Threepenny Opera. How are his political beliefs reflected? How is his personal life reflected? How does he reflect upon his career in the play?
Essay Topic 2If Brecht is alive today, what do you think he says about American politics and social philosophy? What does he say globally? Use examples from the text and Brecht's life to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3Describe the theme of The Threepenny Opera. How is this theme executed? How does the theme represent Brecht's sociopolitical views?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)