|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What "surprise gift" do the thugs uncover at the end of Act One Scene Two?
2. Who is the author of The Threepenny Opera?
3. How many holdups does Macheath commit according to his charges?
4. What is the name of the police headquarters in London?
5. Who is Mr. Peachum's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tiger Brown feel about Macheath's arrest? Why?
2. How does Mr. Peachum feel about Polly's marriage? Why?
3. What is the last song Macheath sings? What is it about?
4. Describe how Macheath is arrested in Act Two Scene Five.
5. Who sings "Call from the Grave"? What is the song about?
6. What is the tone of the song "The Ballad of Sexual Obsession"? Who sings it?
7. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
8. What are the gang's plans for the coronation? What does Macheath tell them?
9. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
10. What happens in Act Three, Scene Eight that makes Polly begin crying? Who arrives to take her away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The Threepenny Opera differ from more traditional musicals of its time? How does it differ today? Use examples from the text and references to prior productions to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of The Threepenny Opera. How is this theme executed? How does the theme represent Brecht's sociopolitical views?
Essay Topic 3
Describe examples of how Brecht's life is reflected in The Threepenny Opera. How are his political beliefs reflected? How is his personal life reflected? How does he reflect upon his career in the play?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)