|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "What I need is artists. Only an artist can tug at anybody's heart strings nowadays"?
2. What is Macheath's nickname?
3. What does Brown tell Polly about Macheath?
4. Who says, "But love is the finest thing in the world"?
5. In what city does The Threepenny Opera take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peachum say to Brown to convince him not to arrest him?
2. Describe the character of Macheath. What is his physical demeanor? What is his profession?
3. What is the last song Macheath sings? What is it about?
4. What is an antihero? How is an antihero different from a tragic hero?
5. How does Polly feel about her new life and surroundings in Act One Scene Two? Why?
6. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
7. Who comes to see Macheath in the last scene? Why?
8. What does Polly do with Macheath's profits? How does that affect the outcome of his fate in Act Three?
9. What is Lucy's relationship to Macheath?
10. What are the list of charges against Macheath? How does he respond to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the term "Epic Theatre". What is its purpose? How is it executed? What is the difference between this stylistic approach and that of realism?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the tenets of Marxism. How do they apply to The Threepenny Opera? Use examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the motifs and symbols in The Threepenny Opera. How do these motifs aid in the overall theme? Define the terms and cite examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)