|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Macheath seduce two sisters under the age of consent?
2. What does Mac order the legs cut off from in Act One Scene Two?
3. Where does the narrator say Macheath flees to in Act Two Scene Four?
4. What is Matthew's nickname?
5. Where does Macheath have a scar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Peachum. What is his business? What is his demeanor toward others?
2. Describe how Macheath is arrested in Act Two Scene Five.
3. What is the song Pirate Jenny about? Who sings it?
4. What does Jenny tell Macheath when she reads his palm?
5. What does Polly do with Macheath's profits? How does that affect the outcome of his fate in Act Three?
6. What is Peachum arranging the beggars to do in Act Three? Why?
7. What are the gang's plans for the coronation? What does Macheath tell them?
8. What do the Peachum's suggest Polly do about her marriage? What is her response?
9. How do the thieves feel about Polly's ability to lead? How does she prove herself?
10. Why does Polly go to Lucy's home in Act Three? Does she get what she comes for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Brecht's use of "Irony" in The Threepenny Opera. What are the different forms of irony and how are each illustrated within the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is the major conflict in The Threepenny Opera? Define this conflict in both literal terms and symbolic or figurative terms. Where does the conflict arise? Which characters are in conflict? How?
Essay Topic 3
What is an antihero? How does an antihero differ from that of a tragic hero? Which is used in The Threepenny Opera and why?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)