|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Peachum hold in his hand when singing "First Threepenny Finale"?
2. Which character is beaten for begging on the streets without a license?
3. What is Tiger Brown's profession?
4. Who is the main character in The Threepenny Opera?
5. Who do the thieves sing about in Act One Scene Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lucy related to Tiger Brown? Why does this create conflict in the play?
2. Describe the story told in The Barbara Song. Who sings it?
3. What does Jenny tell Macheath when she reads his palm?
4. How does Brecht use multimedia in The Threepenny Opera? Why?
5. Describe Mr. Peachum. What is his business? What is his demeanor toward others?
6. Who is present in Act One Scene Two? What is the celebration?
7. How do the thieves feel about Polly's ability to lead? How does she prove herself?
8. Who does Mrs. Peachum pay to give her information about Macheath's whereabouts? What is this character's reaction?
9. What is Lucy's relationship to Macheath?
10. What does Macheath decide to do after hearing the charges? What are his directions to Polly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If Brecht is alive today, what do you think he says about American politics and social philosophy? What does he say globally? Use examples from the text and Brecht's life to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the tenets of Marxism. How do they apply to The Threepenny Opera? Use examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how exposition is illustrated in The Threepenny Opera. What does "Exposition" mean? What are the different methods of exposition and what is the primary method implemented in The Threepenny Opera?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)