|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Peachum's fee for services?
2. Where does Macheath have a scar?
3. What part of London does Act One Scene Two take place?
4. Who do the thieves sing about in Act One Scene Two?
5. Where is Polly to send Macheath's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Polly protest when her father threatens to go to the police in Act One Scene Three?
2. Describe Macheath's relationship to Jenny.
3. What does Macheath do in order to attempt to escape in Act Three Scene Nine?
4. How does Brecht use multimedia in The Threepenny Opera? Why?
5. How does Tiger Brown feel about Macheath's arrest? Why?
6. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
7. What sort of stock character does Polly most closely resemble? Is she a likable character? Why or why not?
8. What do the Peachum's suggest Polly do about her marriage? What is her response?
9. What do Macheath and Brown discuss in Act Three Scene Nine? Why?
10. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe examples of how Brecht's life is reflected in The Threepenny Opera. How are his political beliefs reflected? How is his personal life reflected? How does he reflect upon his career in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term Deus Ex Machina. Where does this theatrical device originate? How does it apply to The Threepenny Opera? Why do you think Brecht chooses to implement this?
Essay Topic 3
Describe examples of foreshadowing in The Threepenny Opera. Define the term "Foreshadowing" and explain how and why Brecht uses it in the play. Cite examples from the text, the songs, and the actions of characters in the play.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)