|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the song Macheath and Brown sing at the feast?
2. What is the name of Jonathan Peachum's business?
3. What does Polly ask of Macheath before he goes?
4. What is Tiger Brown's profession?
5. Who is Mr. Peachum's daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Peachum. What is his business? What is his demeanor toward others?
2. How do the thieves feel about Polly's ability to lead? How does she prove herself?
3. Describe how Macheath is arrested in Act Two Scene Five.
4. Who sings "Call from the Grave"? What is the song about?
5. Who is present in Act One Scene Two? What is the celebration?
6. How is Lucy related to Tiger Brown? Why does this create conflict in the play?
7. Why does Brecht choose to interrupt the action with songs? What effect does this achieve?
8. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
9. What is the song Pirate Jenny about? Who sings it?
10. Why doesn't Tiger Brown arrest Macheath? What is their relationship?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the tenets of Marxism. How do they apply to The Threepenny Opera? Use examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
How does The Threepenny Opera differ from more traditional musicals of its time? How does it differ today? Use examples from the text and references to prior productions to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
What is Macheath's "Tragic Flaw"? How is this exemplified in the play? What are his noble characteristics? Compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 1,259 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)