|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of London does Act One Scene Two take place?
2. Who sings "Barbara Song"?
3. Whose coronation is taking place during the time of the play?
4. Which character says, "Where'er you go I shall be with you"?
5. Who does Mac knock to the ground in Act One Scene Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
2. Describe how Macheath is arrested in Act Two Scene Five.
3. What does Jenny tell Macheath when she reads his palm?
4. What do the Peachum's suggest Polly do about her marriage? What is her response?
5. How do the thieves feel about Polly's ability to lead? How does she prove herself?
6. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
7. What does Lucy refer to Polly as in Act Three? Why?
8. What is the song "Ballade of Immoral Earnings" about? Who sings it?
9. How does Mr. Peachum feel about Polly's marriage? Why?
10. How does Macheath escape from jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the term "Epic Theatre". What is its purpose? How is it executed? What is the difference between this stylistic approach and that of realism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the time period and setting of The Threepenny Opera. What events occur to create the economic and social climate that the play inhabits? How does this play into the musical?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Brecht's use of "Irony" in The Threepenny Opera. What are the different forms of irony and how are each illustrated within the play?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)