|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many holdups does Macheath commit according to his charges?
2. Who does Mac knock to the ground in Act One Scene Two?
3. What is the Sheriff's name?
4. What is the name of the song Macheath and Brown sing at the feast?
5. Which character says, "What I need is artists. Only an artist can tug at anybody's heart strings nowadays"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Polly tell her parents about her marriage?
2. Describe how Macheath is arrested in Act Two Scene Five.
3. Who is present in Act One Scene Two? What is the celebration?
4. What is the last song Macheath sings? What is it about?
5. What do the Peachum's suggest Polly do about her marriage? What is her response?
6. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
7. Who sings "The Song of Insufficiency of Human Endeavor"? What is the song about?
8. Where does Act Three, Scene Nine take place? Who, in addition to Macheath, is here?
9. How does Mr. Peachum feel about Polly's marriage? Why?
10. Who is Low-Dive Jenny? What does she do for a living? What does she look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the allusion to Judas' betrayal relates to The Threepenny Opera. Which character is seen as Judas? What actions does that character do similarly and what is the outcome of those actions? Are there consequences for those actions?
Essay Topic 2
What is an antihero? How does an antihero differ from that of a tragic hero? Which is used in The Threepenny Opera and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is Macheath's "Tragic Flaw"? How is this exemplified in the play? What are his noble characteristics? Compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)