|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in The Threepenny Opera?
2. What is the name of the police headquarters in London?
3. What is Jake's nickname?
4. What does Brown tell Polly about Macheath?
5. Where does the narrator say Macheath flees to in Act Two Scene Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the list of charges against Macheath? How does he respond to them?
2. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
3. Describe Macheath's relationship to Jenny.
4. What do the Peachum's suggest Polly do about her marriage? What is her response?
5. What is the tone of the song "The Ballad of Sexual Obsession"? Who sings it?
6. What is the purpose of the prologue? Who sings it? What does it inform the audience?
7. What is the song "Ballade of Immoral Earnings" about? Who sings it?
8. What does Lucy reveal to Polly in Act Three at her home? Why?
9. What does Macheath decide to do after hearing the charges? What are his directions to Polly?
10. What happens in Act Three, Scene Eight that makes Polly begin crying? Who arrives to take her away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the theme of The Threepenny Opera. How is this theme executed? How does the theme represent Brecht's sociopolitical views?
Essay Topic 2
What is the major conflict in The Threepenny Opera? Define this conflict in both literal terms and symbolic or figurative terms. Where does the conflict arise? Which characters are in conflict? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how exposition is illustrated in The Threepenny Opera. What does "Exposition" mean? What are the different methods of exposition and what is the primary method implemented in The Threepenny Opera?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)