|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the gang members do when Brown arrives?
2. What is the name of the song Polly sings for dinner entertainment in Act One?
3. Which is NOT one of the soldier's names in the song Macheath and Brown sing at the feast?
4. What nickname does Macheath refer to Tiger Brown as?
5. Who threatens to "tan your behind" to Polly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peachum say to Brown to convince him not to arrest him?
2. How is Lucy related to Tiger Brown? Why does this create conflict in the play?
3. What do Macheath and Brown discuss in Act Three Scene Nine? Why?
4. Who is present in Act One Scene Two? What is the celebration?
5. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
6. What is an antihero? How is an antihero different from a tragic hero?
7. What are the list of charges against Macheath? How does he respond to them?
8. What does Polly protest when her father threatens to go to the police in Act One Scene Three?
9. Who arrives at Peachum's house as he's preparing the beggars to go to the coronation? Why?
10. Who comes to see Macheath in the last scene? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how exposition is illustrated in The Threepenny Opera. What does "Exposition" mean? What are the different methods of exposition and what is the primary method implemented in The Threepenny Opera?
Essay Topic 2
What is an antihero? How does an antihero differ from that of a tragic hero? Which is used in The Threepenny Opera and why?
Essay Topic 3
What is Macheath's "Tragic Flaw"? How is this exemplified in the play? What are his noble characteristics? Compare and contrast the two.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)