Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peachum tell his daughter to do in Act One Scene Three?
2. What play is The Threepenny Opera based upon?
3. What does Polly get to revive her mother in Act One Scene Three?
4. What is Tiger Brown's profession?
5. Who does Macheath leave in charge of business when he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
2. How does Brecht use multimedia in The Threepenny Opera? Why?
3. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
4. What are the list of charges against Macheath? How does he respond to them?
5. How does Mr. Peachum feel about Polly's marriage? Why?
6. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
7. What is the tone of the song "The Ballad of Sexual Obsession"? Who sings it?
8. Who does Mrs. Peachum pay to give her information about Macheath's whereabouts? What is this character's reaction?
9. How does Polly feel about her new life and surroundings in Act One Scene Two? Why?
10. What is the song "Ballade of Immoral Earnings" about? Who sings it?
Essay Topic 1
How is "Human Nature" portrayed in The Threepenny Opera? Who speaks (and/or sings) about human nature? Do you think this is Brecht's point of view as well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of The Threepenny Opera. How is this theme executed? How does the theme represent Brecht's sociopolitical views?
Essay Topic 3
How does The Threepenny Opera differ from more traditional musicals of its time? How does it differ today? Use examples from the text and references to prior productions to support your claim.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)