|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of the opening of Act One Scene Two?
2. Which character says, "You get that every day at Mac the Knife's. You've landed in the honey pot all right."
3. To which district is Filch assigned in Act One?
4. Who is spoken to in an "aside"?
5. What is the song about that Polly sings for the thugs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the gang's plans for the coronation? What does Macheath tell them?
2. How does Macheath escape from jail?
3. Describe Macheath's relationship to Jenny.
4. Where does Act Three, Scene Nine take place? Who, in addition to Macheath, is here?
5. What does Polly do with Macheath's profits? How does that affect the outcome of his fate in Act Three?
6. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
7. Why does Brecht choose to interrupt the action with songs? What effect does this achieve?
8. Compare and contrast Lucy and Polly. How are they alike? How are they different?
9. What do Macheath and Brown discuss in Act Three Scene Nine? Why?
10. How does Tiger Brown feel about Macheath's arrest? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe examples of how Brecht's life is reflected in The Threepenny Opera. How are his political beliefs reflected? How is his personal life reflected? How does he reflect upon his career in the play?
Essay Topic 2
If Brecht is alive today, what do you think he says about American politics and social philosophy? What does he say globally? Use examples from the text and Brecht's life to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
What is the major conflict in The Threepenny Opera? Define this conflict in both literal terms and symbolic or figurative terms. Where does the conflict arise? Which characters are in conflict? How?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)