|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peachum tell his daughter to do in Act One Scene Three?
2. What play is The Threepenny Opera based upon?
3. What does Polly get to revive her mother in Act One Scene Three?
4. What is Tiger Brown's profession?
5. Who does Macheath leave in charge of business when he leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
2. How does Brecht use multimedia in The Threepenny Opera? Why?
3. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
4. What are the list of charges against Macheath? How does he respond to them?
5. How does Mr. Peachum feel about Polly's marriage? Why?
6. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
7. What is the tone of the song "The Ballad of Sexual Obsession"? Who sings it?
8. Who does Mrs. Peachum pay to give her information about Macheath's whereabouts? What is this character's reaction?
9. How does Polly feel about her new life and surroundings in Act One Scene Two? Why?
10. What is the song "Ballade of Immoral Earnings" about? Who sings it?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the term "Epic Theatre". What is its purpose? How is it executed? What is the difference between this stylistic approach and that of realism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how exposition is illustrated in The Threepenny Opera. What does "Exposition" mean? What are the different methods of exposition and what is the primary method implemented in The Threepenny Opera?
Essay Topic 3
What is the major conflict in The Threepenny Opera? Define this conflict in both literal terms and symbolic or figurative terms. Where does the conflict arise? Which characters are in conflict? How?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)