|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brown tell Polly about Macheath?
2. What present do the thugs give to Polly?
3. For whom does the character Matt work?
4. Who is the author of The Threepenny Opera?
5. What does Polly get to revive her mother in Act One Scene Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lucy and why does Macheath not want her mentioned in the feast scene?
2. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
3. What is The Cannon Song about? Who sings it?
4. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
5. How does Tiger Brown feel about Macheath's arrest? Why?
6. What is the setting for Act One Scene Two? Why is this significant?
7. Describe how Macheath is arrested in Act Two Scene Five.
8. What do the Peachum's suggest Polly do about her marriage? What is her response?
9. Compare and contrast Lucy and Polly. How are they alike? How are they different?
10. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss some of the motifs and symbols in The Threepenny Opera. How do these motifs aid in the overall theme? Define the terms and cite examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Brecht's use of "Irony" in The Threepenny Opera. What are the different forms of irony and how are each illustrated within the play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the theme of The Threepenny Opera. How is this theme executed? How does the theme represent Brecht's sociopolitical views?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)