|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Polly to send Macheath's money?
2. What does Mrs. Peachum refer to Macheath as?
3. What is the song about that Polly sings for the thugs?
4. Who sings at the end of Act One Scene Two?
5. What part of London does Act One Scene Two take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the last song Macheath sings? What is it about?
2. What are the gang's plans for the coronation? What does Macheath tell them?
3. Why does Polly go to Lucy's home in Act Three? Does she get what she comes for?
4. What does Lucy refer to Polly as in Act Three? Why?
5. How is Lucy related to Tiger Brown? Why does this create conflict in the play?
6. What does Macheath do in order to attempt to escape in Act Three Scene Nine?
7. Who is present in Act One Scene Two? What is the celebration?
8. What does Mr. Peachum say about Mr. Filch? Does he like this character? Why or why not?
9. Who comes to see Macheath in the last scene? Why?
10. Compare and contrast Lucy and Polly. How are they alike? How are they different?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does The Threepenny Opera differ from more traditional musicals of its time? How does it differ today? Use examples from the text and references to prior productions to support your claim.
Essay Topic 2
Describe examples of how Brecht's life is reflected in The Threepenny Opera. How are his political beliefs reflected? How is his personal life reflected? How does he reflect upon his career in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss some of the motifs and symbols in The Threepenny Opera. How do these motifs aid in the overall theme? Define the terms and cite examples from the text in your answer.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)