|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is spoken to in an "aside"?
2. Where is Polly to send Macheath's money?
3. Who sings at the end of Act One Scene Two?
4. What is the setting of the opening of Act One Scene Two?
5. Who pays Mac a visit in Act One Scene Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Macheath and Tiger Brown. How are they alike? How are they different?
2. What is "The Solomon Song" about? Who sings it?
3. What is an antihero? How is an antihero different from a tragic hero?
4. How does Macheath escape from jail?
5. What is the purpose of the prologue? Who sings it? What does it inform the audience?
6. Describe the story told in The Barbara Song. Who sings it?
7. Describe the character of Macheath. What is his physical demeanor? What is his profession?
8. What is The Cannon Song about? Who sings it?
9. What does Polly do with Macheath's profits? How does that affect the outcome of his fate in Act Three?
10. Who is present in Act One Scene Two? What is the celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the time period and setting of The Threepenny Opera. What events occur to create the economic and social climate that the play inhabits? How does this play into the musical?
Essay Topic 2
What is an antihero? How does an antihero differ from that of a tragic hero? Which is used in The Threepenny Opera and why?
Essay Topic 3
If Brecht is alive today, what do you think he says about American politics and social philosophy? What does he say globally? Use examples from the text and Brecht's life to support your discussion.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)