Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in The Threepenny Opera?
2. What does Polly bring with her to see Macheath in Act Two Scene Four?
3. What is Brown's concern regarding the coronation?
4. Where is Polly to send Macheath's money?
5. Which character sings a morning hymn in Act One Scene One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Macheath's relationship to Jenny.
2. Who arrives at Peachum's house as he's preparing the beggars to go to the coronation? Why?
3. Who sings "Call from the Grave"? What is the song about?
4. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
5. What is the setting for Act One Scene Two? Why is this significant?
6. What is The Cannon Song about? Who sings it?
7. What happens in Act Three, Scene Eight that makes Polly begin crying? Who arrives to take her away?
8. Who does Mrs. Peachum pay to give her information about Macheath's whereabouts? What is this character's reaction?
9. What does Macheath do in order to attempt to escape in Act Three Scene Nine?
10. How does Brecht use multimedia in The Threepenny Opera? Why?
Describe how the allusion to Judas' betrayal relates to The Threepenny Opera. Which character is seen as Judas? What actions does that character do similarly and what is the outcome of those actions? Are there consequences for those actions?
What is the major conflict in The Threepenny Opera? Define this conflict in both literal terms and symbolic or figurative terms. Where does the conflict arise? Which characters are in conflict? How?
Describe the theme of The Threepenny Opera. How is this theme executed? How does the theme represent Brecht's sociopolitical views?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)