|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the soldier's names in the song Macheath and Brown sing at the feast?
2. Where is Polly to send Macheath's money?
3. Why does Mac berate the Gang in Act One Scene Two?
4. What is the name of the song Macheath and Brown sing at the feast?
5. How many shopkeepers does Macheath kill, according to his charges?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Polly protest when her father threatens to go to the police in Act One Scene Three?
2. What does Polly tell her parents about her marriage?
3. Describe the character of Macheath. What is his physical demeanor? What is his profession?
4. Who sings "Call from the Grave"? What is the song about?
5. Where does Act Three, Scene Nine take place? Who, in addition to Macheath, is here?
6. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
7. How does Polly feel about her new life and surroundings in Act One Scene Two? Why?
8. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
9. How do the thieves feel about Polly's ability to lead? How does she prove herself?
10. Who comes to see Macheath in the last scene? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe examples of how Brecht's life is reflected in The Threepenny Opera. How are his political beliefs reflected? How is his personal life reflected? How does he reflect upon his career in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the allusion to Judas' betrayal relates to The Threepenny Opera. Which character is seen as Judas? What actions does that character do similarly and what is the outcome of those actions? Are there consequences for those actions?
Essay Topic 3
What is the major conflict in The Threepenny Opera? Define this conflict in both literal terms and symbolic or figurative terms. Where does the conflict arise? Which characters are in conflict? How?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)