|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Polly ask of Macheath before he goes?
2. What is the name of Jonathan Peachum's wife?
3. Where does Macheath have a scar?
4. What does Macheath say about Jimmy II?
5. Who tells Polly that Macheath has several women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to see Macheath in the last scene? Why?
2. What happens in Act Three, Scene Eight that makes Polly begin crying? Who arrives to take her away?
3. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
4. Why is Polly upset when she meets Macheath in Act Two at the stable?
5. How does Polly feel about her new life and surroundings in Act One Scene Two? Why?
6. What does Lucy reveal to Polly in Act Three at her home? Why?
7. What does Macheath do in order to attempt to escape in Act Three Scene Nine?
8. How does Tiger Brown feel about Macheath's arrest? Why?
9. Compare and contrast Lucy and Polly. How are they alike? How are they different?
10. Why does Polly go to Lucy's home in Act Three? Does she get what she comes for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the time period and setting of The Threepenny Opera. What events occur to create the economic and social climate that the play inhabits? How does this play into the musical?
Essay Topic 2
What is an antihero? How does an antihero differ from that of a tragic hero? Which is used in The Threepenny Opera and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Brecht's allusions to the Bible in The Threepenny Opera. Who quotes passages from the Bible and what purpose do they serve? What symbols can be seen as Biblical references? What point (or points) regarding religion do you think Brecht is portraying in this play?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)