|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Peachum refer to Macheath as?
2. Where does Macheath have a scar?
3. Where is the carpet from at Macheath and Polly's feast?
4. In what city does The Threepenny Opera take place?
5. How many holdups does Macheath commit according to his charges?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Macheath escape from jail?
2. What do Macheath and Brown discuss in Act Three Scene Nine? Why?
3. Who is present in Act One Scene Two? What is the celebration?
4. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
5. What are the gang's plans for the coronation? What does Macheath tell them?
6. What is the song "Ballade of Immoral Earnings" about? Who sings it?
7. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
8. Why is Polly upset when she meets Macheath in Act Two at the stable?
9. What is the purpose of the prologue? Who sings it? What does it inform the audience?
10. What does Jenny tell Macheath when she reads his palm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the tenets of Marxism. How do they apply to The Threepenny Opera? Use examples from the text to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Define the term Deus Ex Machina. Where does this theatrical device originate? How does it apply to The Threepenny Opera? Why do you think Brecht chooses to implement this?
Essay Topic 3
How is "Human Nature" portrayed in The Threepenny Opera? Who speaks (and/or sings) about human nature? Do you think this is Brecht's point of view as well? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)