|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the song the thugs sing at the feast?
(a) The Day of Bill's Last Breath.
(b) The Wedding Ballad.
(c) Wedding song for the Less Well-off.
(d) The Church Bells of Manchester.
2. How many holdups does Macheath commit according to his charges?
3. Who tells Polly that Macheath has several women?
(c) Mr. Peachum.
(d) Mrs. Peachum.
4. What nickname does Macheath refer to Tiger Brown as?
5. What is the name of the police headquarters in London?
(a) Scotland Yard.
(b) Britain Protection.
(c) The Queen's Island.
(d) London Yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Gang change into in Act One Scene Two?
2. Who does Macheath leave in charge of business when he leaves?
3. Where does Act Two Scene Four take place?
4. Does Macheath want Polly to let out his rooms?
5. Who sings, "What the use of grieving, when the mother who bore you (Mary, pity women!) knows it all before you"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucy refer to Polly as in Act Three? Why?
2. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
3. What happens in Act Three, Scene Eight that makes Polly begin crying? Who arrives to take her away?
4. What is Peachum arranging the beggars to do in Act Three? Why?
5. What does Polly protest when her father threatens to go to the police in Act One Scene Three?
6. How does Tiger Brown feel about Macheath's arrest? Why?
7. What is the setting for Act One Scene Two? Why is this significant?
8. Compare and contrast the characters of Macheath and Tiger Brown. How are they alike? How are they different?
9. Who is Lucy and why does Macheath not want her mentioned in the feast scene?
10. Why is Polly upset when she meets Macheath in Act Two at the stable?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)