|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Macheath seduce two sisters under the age of consent?
2. What present do the thugs give to Polly?
(a) A kitten.
(c) A nightgown.
(d) A diamond necklace.
3. What part of London does Act One Scene Two take place?
(a) East End.
(b) The Wharf.
(c) Little Village.
4. Who threatens to "tan your behind" to Polly?
(b) Mrs. Peachum.
(d) Mr. Peachum.
5. What is the term for the style of production of The Threepenny Opera?
(b) Avant Garde.
(c) Epic Theatre.
(d) The Modern Musical.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Polly that Macheath has several women?
2. Who sings the Ballad of Sexual Obsession?
3. Who does Mac knock to the ground in Act One Scene Two?
4. Which character says, "What do you mean, pretty? It's not pretty, you idiot! It's art, it's not pretty."
5. Which character says, "What I need is artists. Only an artist can tug at anybody's heart strings nowadays"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story told in The Barbara Song. Who sings it?
2. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
3. What does Lucy refer to Polly as in Act Three? Why?
4. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
5. What are the gang's plans for the coronation? What does Macheath tell them?
6. What does Peachum say to Brown to convince him not to arrest him?
7. What is the setting for Act One Scene Two? Why is this significant?
8. What happens in Act Three, Scene Eight that makes Polly begin crying? Who arrives to take her away?
9. How do the thieves feel about Polly's ability to lead? How does she prove herself?
10. Who does Mrs. Peachum pay to give her information about Macheath's whereabouts? What is this character's reaction?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)