|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who threatens to "tan your behind" to Polly?
(a) Mr. Peachum.
(b) Mrs. Peachum.
2. When does Matthew say the Archbishop of Canterbury is to arrive?
(a) In a day.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) In a week.
3. What do the gang members do when Brown arrives?
(a) Attack him.
(b) Keep eating.
(c) Greet him.
4. What is Jake's nickname?
(a) Cut-throat Jake.
(b) Crook-finger Jake.
(c) Cross-eyed Jake.
(d) Pickpocket Jake.
5. When does Mrs. Peachum tell Mr. Peachum Polly gets married?
(a) Yesterday morning.
(b) Yesterday at five-o-clock.
(c) This morning.
(d) Yesterday at noon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peachum tell his daughter to do in Act One Scene Three?
2. What is the setting of the opening of Act One Scene Two?
3. Which character says, "You get that every day at Mac the Knife's. You've landed in the honey pot all right."
4. Who do the thieves sing about in Act One Scene Two?
5. Where does Macheath have a scar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brecht choose to interrupt the action with songs? What effect does this achieve?
2. Describe the story told in The Barbara Song. Who sings it?
3. What does Macheath do in order to attempt to escape in Act Three Scene Nine?
4. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
5. What do Macheath and Brown discuss in Act Three Scene Nine? Why?
6. What does Mr. Peachum say about Mr. Filch? Does he like this character? Why or why not?
7. What is Lucy's relationship to Macheath?
8. Where does Act Three, Scene Nine take place? Who, in addition to Macheath, is here?
9. Describe the character of Macheath. What is his physical demeanor? What is his profession?
10. What does Peachum tell Brown about the historical police captain? Why?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)