|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reward for turning in Macheath?
(a) Forty pounds.
(b) One hundred pounds.
(c) Two hundred pounds.
(d) Sixty pounds.
2. What does Peachum tell his daughter to do in Act One Scene Three?
(a) Go back to Macheath.
(b) Make dinner.
(c) Change clothes.
(d) Get divorced.
3. What is Low-Dive Jenny's profession?
4. Which character says, "What do you mean, pretty? It's not pretty, you idiot! It's art, it's not pretty."
(d) Mr. Peachum.
5. What is the setting of the opening of Act One Scene Two?
(a) A stable.
(b) A rooftop.
(c) A church.
(d) Mr. Peachum's shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the celebration for in Act One Scene Two?
2. Who says, "But love is the finest thing in the world"?
3. Where does Macheath have a scar?
4. How many shopkeepers does Macheath kill, according to his charges?
5. What is the name of the police headquarters in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lucy related to Tiger Brown? Why does this create conflict in the play?
2. Compare and contrast Lucy and Polly. How are they alike? How are they different?
3. Why is Polly upset when she meets Macheath in Act Two at the stable?
4. Who is Low-Dive Jenny? What does she do for a living? What does she look like?
5. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
6. Why does Brecht choose to interrupt the action with songs? What effect does this achieve?
7. Who arrives just before Macheath puts his neck in the noose? What does this character declare?
8. Describe the character of Macheath. What is his physical demeanor? What is his profession?
9. What does Lucy reveal to Polly in Act Three at her home? Why?
10. Who arrives at Peachum's house as he's preparing the beggars to go to the coronation? Why?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)