|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the beggars return to Peachum's shop in Act One Scene Three?
(a) To complain about their costumes.
(b) To ask for money.
(c) To give news from Macheath.
(d) To take Polly away.
2. Who says, "But love is the finest thing in the world"?
(d) Mrs. Peachum.
3. Who does Mac knock to the ground in Act One Scene Two?
4. Who do the thieves sing about in Act One Scene Two?
(a) Joseph and Mary.
(b) Victoria and William.
(c) Lucy and William.
(d) Bill and Mary.
5. What happens to the soldier's in Macheath and Brown's ballad in Act One?
(a) They go to a saloon.
(b) They die.
(c) They win medals.
(d) They win the war.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the prison or jailhouse?
2. What does Polly bring with her to see Macheath in Act Two Scene Four?
3. What is Tiger Brown's profession?
4. For whom does the character Matt work?
5. What "surprise gift" do the thugs uncover at the end of Act One Scene Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who sings "The Song of Insufficiency of Human Endeavor"? What is the song about?
2. What is The Cannon Song about? Who sings it?
3. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
4. What is "The Solomon Song" about? Who sings it?
5. Describe the character of Macheath. What is his physical demeanor? What is his profession?
6. Describe the story told in The Barbara Song. Who sings it?
7. Why does Polly go to Lucy's home in Act Three? Does she get what she comes for?
8. What sort of stock character does Polly most closely resemble? Is she a likable character? Why or why not?
9. Who comes to see Macheath in the last scene? Why?
10. What is Lucy's relationship to Macheath?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)