|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the song the thugs sing at the feast?
(a) The Wedding Ballad.
(b) The Church Bells of Manchester.
(c) Wedding song for the Less Well-off.
(d) The Day of Bill's Last Breath.
2. What "surprise gift" do the thugs uncover at the end of Act One Scene Two?
(a) A bed.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A clock.
(d) A wardrobe.
3. What present do the thugs give to Polly?
(a) A nightgown.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A diamond necklace.
4. What does Peachum tell his daughter to do in Act One Scene Three?
(a) Make dinner.
(b) Change clothes.
(c) Get divorced.
(d) Go back to Macheath.
5. What is the name of Jonathan Peachum's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mac berate the Gang in Act One Scene Two?
2. Why do the beggars return to Peachum's shop in Act One Scene Three?
3. Where is the carpet from at Macheath and Polly's feast?
4. Who sings "Barbara Song"?
5. What is in the vans arriving in Act One Scene Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brecht use multimedia in The Threepenny Opera? Why?
2. Describe Mr. Peachum. What is his business? What is his demeanor toward others?
3. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
4. Why doesn't Tiger Brown arrest Macheath? What is their relationship?
5. What is The Cannon Song about? Who sings it?
6. Describe Macheath's relationship to Jenny.
7. What is "The Solomon Song" about? Who sings it?
8. What is the purpose of the prologue? Who sings it? What does it inform the audience?
9. Describe the mannerisms of the gang. How does Macheath feel about them?
10. What do the Peachum's suggest Polly do about her marriage? What is her response?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)