|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who sings at the end of Act One Scene Two?
(a) Polly and Macheath.
(b) Mrs. Peachum and Mr. Peachum.
(c) Macheath and Ned.
(d) Polly and Mr. Peachum.
2. What do the Gang change into in Act One Scene Two?
(a) Police uniforms.
(b) Beggars' outfits.
(c) Fancy evening apparel.
(d) Servants' uniforms.
3. What is the song about that Polly sings for the thugs?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A dishwasher.
(c) A dancer.
(d) A prostitute.
4. What "surprise gift" do the thugs uncover at the end of Act One Scene Two?
(a) A clock.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A bed.
(d) A wardrobe.
5. Where are Macheath and Tiger soldiers together?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sings the prologue of The Threepenny Opera?
2. Who tells Polly that Macheath has several women?
3. What is Matthew's nickname?
4. When does Matthew say the Archbishop of Canterbury is to arrive?
5. Where does Act Two Scene Four take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Macheath's relationship to Jenny.
2. What does Peachum say to Brown to convince him not to arrest him?
3. What sort of stock character does Polly most closely resemble? Is she a likable character? Why or why not?
4. Why does Brecht choose to interrupt the action with songs? What effect does this achieve?
5. Where is The Threepenny Opera set? Include the general setting and specific settings.
6. What does Jenny tell Macheath when she reads his palm?
7. What does Polly do with Macheath's profits? How does that affect the outcome of his fate in Act Three?
8. What do Jenny and Mrs. Peachum argue about in Act Three Scene Seven?
9. What does Mrs. Peachum tell Polly about Macheath's history?
10. Who comes to see Macheath in the last scene? Why?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)