|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Orin speaking to in the beginning of Act 3 of The Hunted?
2. Who accuses Lavinia of trying to separate her from Orin, in Act 1 of The Hunted?
3. Where does Act 1 of The Haunted take place?
4. Who does Orin say he was outside looking for in Act 1 of The Haunted?
5. Where is the Mannon family home located ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Nina jealous of in Act 8 of Strange Interlude? Who knows about this?
2. What does Lavinia ask Brant in Act 3 of Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra? What takes place during this discussion?
3. What is Orin writing in Act 2 of The Haunted, Mourning Becomes Electra? What is Lavinia's reaction?
4. How does the theme of justice in The Haunted, Mourning Becomes Electra relate to the same theme in The Oresteia?
5. In The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra, Act 3, what do Orin and Lavinia discuss in the study?
6. What do Peter, Hazel, and Lavinia discuss upon their arrival in Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra?
7. Describe the foreshadowing which takes place in Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra.
8. In Act 2 of The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra, what discussion takes place between Hazel, Peter, Orin, Christine, and Lavinia?
9. Who interrupts Gordon and Madeline in Act 9 of Strange Interlude? What are this character's thoughts about them?
10. Who does Darrell talk about in Act 8 of Strange Interlude? Why does this upset Nina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style and use of soliloquy in Strange Interlude. How is this play stylistically different than the others in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the innovations which O'Neill introduced to the theater in each of these plays. Why did the police attempt to shut down O'Neill's works in New York? What is risque about these plays for their time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the objectives and actions of the character of Darrell in Strange Interlude. What about this character is noble? What are his negative qualities and actions? What does he want?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)