|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Lavinia harbor a secret admiration?
2. In Act 2 of The Hunted, Hazel and Peter discuss how ill someone is. Who is this person?
3. Where does Act 1, Scene 1 of Homecoming take place?
4. Who does Christine say has become mentally unhinged in Act 2 of The Hunted?
5. Who kills Brant in Act 4 of The Hunted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who interrupts Gordon and Madeline in Act 9 of Strange Interlude? What are this character's thoughts about them?
2. When Christine enters in Act 3 of The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra, what is her reaction? How does this change Orin's mind?
3. What is Orin writing in Act 2 of The Haunted, Mourning Becomes Electra? What is Lavinia's reaction?
4. What does Lavinia ask Brant in Act 3 of Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra? What takes place during this discussion?
5. What is significant about Orin's comment of Brant's face in The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra, Act 5?
6. Describe the exposition which takes place at the beginning of Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra. Who is speaking, and what is discussed?
7. How does Lavinia's crying out to her father in The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra reflect similar scenes in the other two plays?
8. Where is Act Two set in Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra? What discussion takes place between Lavinia and Christine here?
9. What does Nina think about doing in the end of Act 9 in Strange Interlude? What are her feelings?
10. What do Peter, Hazel, and Lavinia discuss upon their arrival in Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the plot structure of Strange Interlude. How structurally different is this play than the others? What is the climax of the play? What is the resolution?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the themes of Desire Under the Elms to those of Strange Interlude. What themes exist in both plays? How do they differ thematically?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the setting of each of the three plays affects the action and the characters. How are the settings different in the plays? What correlates to each? Discuss era and historical period in your answer as well as location.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)