|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Brant's ship in Act 4 of The Hunted?
2. Whose speech does Orin's seem an echo of, in Act 1 of The Hunted?
3. Who is Lavinia's mother?
4. In Act 2 of The Hunted, Hazel and Peter discuss how ill someone is. Who is this person?
5. Who is Lavinia's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the characters of Hazel and Peter in the trilogy of Mourning Becomes Electra. What is their role, symbolically?
2. How is Orin described as in The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra? What does he speak of when he arrives?
3. Who interrupts Gordon and Madeline in Act 9 of Strange Interlude? What are this character's thoughts about them?
4. How does Lavinia's crying out to her father in The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra reflect similar scenes in the other two plays?
5. Describe Ezra's return in Mourning Becomes Electra.
6. What does Lavinia ask Brant in Act 3 of Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra? What takes place during this discussion?
7. In The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra, Act 3, what do Orin and Lavinia discuss in the study?
8. What is Orin writing in Act 2 of The Haunted, Mourning Becomes Electra? What is Lavinia's reaction?
9. How does the theme of justice in The Haunted, Mourning Becomes Electra relate to the same theme in The Oresteia?
10. What exposition is taking place at the beginning of The Haunted, Mourning Becomes Electra? Who is present?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of Ezra and Brant in the Mourning Becomes Electra trilogy. Who are these characters representative of in the Oresteia? How are they different than the source material?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the plot structure of Strange Interlude. How structurally different is this play than the others? What is the climax of the play? What is the resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the themes of Desire Under the Elms to those of Strange Interlude. What themes exist in both plays? How do they differ thematically?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)