|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who informs Seth of Lavinia and Orin's coming arrival in Act 1 of The Haunted?
2. Who does Christine go to warn at the end of Act 2 of The Hunted?
3. To what does Christine express extreme shock at seeing in Act 3 of The Hunted?
4. Who is the patriarch of the Mannon family, who has been away at war, in Act 1 of Homecoming?
5. Who is Lavinia's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Act Two set in Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra? What discussion takes place between Lavinia and Christine here?
2. How does the theme of justice in The Haunted, Mourning Becomes Electra relate to the same theme in The Oresteia?
3. What does Nina think about doing in the end of Act 9 in Strange Interlude? What are her feelings?
4. What does Lavinia ask Brant in Act 3 of Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra? What takes place during this discussion?
5. What are Orin's and Christine's reactions upon first seeing each other in The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra?
6. Who is Christine in Mourning Becomes Electra? What do she and Lavinia discuss when she first enters?
7. Discuss the characters of Hazel and Peter in the trilogy of Mourning Becomes Electra. What is their role, symbolically?
8. In The Hunted, Mourning Becomes Electra, Act 3, what do Orin and Lavinia discuss in the study?
9. Who does Darrell talk about in Act 8 of Strange Interlude? Why does this upset Nina?
10. Describe the exposition which takes place at the beginning of Homecoming, Mourning Becomes Electra. Who is speaking, and what is discussed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of revenge as it applies to all three plays in the collection. How is revenge represented differently in each play? How is it one of the cohesive themes which bind the plays?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the actions and events which occur in The Hunted. Which play of the Oresteia is this play an adaptation of? How do the plot points differ than in Aeschylus' play?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the plot structure of Strange Interlude. How structurally different is this play than the others? What is the climax of the play? What is the resolution?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)