|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Scene 3 of Part 3 in Desire Under the Elms, Ephraim is asleep in his bedroom as Abbie confesses what to Eben?
2. What does Abbie say will beat Eben in Part 2 of Desire Under the Elms?
3. How old is Ephraim in Part 3 of Desire Under the Elms?
4. When does Nina announce that she is leaving in Part 1, Act 1 in Strange Interlude?
5. Who has Evans invited over this evening, at the beginning of Act 4 in Strange Interlude?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened between Acts 5 and 6 of Strange Interlude? Who reveals the exposition at the beginning of this act?
2. What is Abbie doing when Part 3 begins in Desire Under the Elms? What is the talk of the town about?
3. What does the argument over the estate devolve to between the brothers in Part 1 of Desire Under the Elms?
4. What does Darrell tell Marsden about Nina's behavior at the hospital in Strange Interlude?
5. What do Marsden's thoughts reveal about Gordon in Act 4 of Strange Interlude? Why did he suggest that Nina write a biography about him?
6. Where do the conflicts arise between the family in Desire Under the Elms? How do the characters' objectives lead to the essential conflict?
7. How does Eben's position in the household contribute to his conflicts over the estate in Desire Under the Elms?
8. What does Nina reveal in reading aloud her letter in Act 3 of Strange Interlude?
9. Describe the thematic elements which are shared by Desire Under the Elms and the other plays in the collection.
10. In the climax of Part 3 in Desire Under the Elms, what takes place between Abbie, Ephraim and Eben?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of revenge as it applies to all three plays in the collection. How is revenge represented differently in each play? How is it one of the cohesive themes which bind the plays?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the objectives and actions of the character of Darrell in Strange Interlude. What about this character is noble? What are his negative qualities and actions? What does he want?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of Ezra and Brant in the Mourning Becomes Electra trilogy. Who are these characters representative of in the Oresteia? How are they different than the source material?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)