|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ephraim say he'd turn free when he died?
2. Where is the main room in which the dancing is taking place in Part 3 of Desire Under the Elms?
3. How old is the character, Simeon, in Desire Under the Elms?
4. Where does Marsden accuse Nina of getting her ideas from, in Act 1 of Strange Interlude?
5. What do Peter and Simeon taunt Ephraim with when he enters, in Desire Under the Elms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nina feel about her family in Act 7 of Strange Interlude? How does she feel about her life and about Darrell?
2. Why does Nina say she's going away in Act 1 of Strange Interlude?
3. What happens in the falling action and resolution of Desire Under the Elms?
4. What does Nina reveal in reading aloud her letter in Act 3 of Strange Interlude?
5. How does Gordon feel about Darrell in Act 7 of Strange Interlude? How does he respond to Darrell's comments about Evans?
6. What is Abbie doing when Part 3 begins in Desire Under the Elms? What is the talk of the town about?
7. What is the symbolic statement behind Abbie and Eben's entrance into the parlor in Part 2 in Desire Under the Elms?
8. Describe the thematic elements which are shared by Desire Under the Elms and the other plays in the collection.
9. In Part 2 of Desire Under the Elms, how does Abbie attempt to rectify her relationship with Eben? Who does she refer to with disdain?
10. What news does Eben return to the farmhouse to inform his brothers of, in Part 1 of Desire Under the Elms? What is the brothers' reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of revenge as it applies to all three plays in the collection. How is revenge represented differently in each play? How is it one of the cohesive themes which bind the plays?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of symbolism and motif in Desire Under the Elms. What predominant motifs are described in the text? What themes do these symbolic images illuminate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "Ghosts of the Past" as they are reflected in each of the three plays of the collection (including all three plays of the Electra trilogy). What symbols are used to reflect the theme?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)