|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Act 7 of Strange Interlude take place in?
(a) New York.
(d) Long Island.
2. How much time passes between Acts 6 and 7 in Strange Interlude?
(a) Eleven years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
3. Why does Eben offer the others money in Part 1 of Desire Under the Elms?
(a) To sign over the farm.
(b) To bribe them to kill their father.
(c) To sell the farm.
(d) To hire new workers.
4. How old is Ephraim in Desire Under the Elms?
5. Who says, "It's a wise father who knows his own child" in Strange Interlude?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the brothers in Desire Under the Elms long to go?
2. Where does Eben get the money he promises to the others in Desire Under the Elms?
3. How much time passes between Scenes 1 and 2 in Part 3 of Desire Under the Elms?
4. How long has Nina studied at the university?
5. How long has the father in Desire Under the Elms been gone in the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation between Ephraim and Abbie in their bedroom in Part 2 in Desire Under the Elms. What do the stage directions denote in this scene?
2. How does Eben's position in the household contribute to his conflicts over the estate in Desire Under the Elms?
3. What does Nina reveal in reading aloud her letter in Act 3 of Strange Interlude?
4. What has happened between Acts 5 and 6 of Strange Interlude? Who reveals the exposition at the beginning of this act?
5. Where do the conflicts arise between the family in Desire Under the Elms? How do the characters' objectives lead to the essential conflict?
6. What does Abbie confess to Eben in Part 3 in Desire Under the Elms? What is his reaction?
7. What does the argument over the estate devolve to between the brothers in Part 1 of Desire Under the Elms?
8. The morning after their "tryst," how do Abbie and Eben feel in Desire Under the Elms? How does Ephraim feel?
9. What does Nina tease Marsden about in Act 6 of Strange Interlude that makes him angry? How does he react?
10. What does Darrell tell Marsden about Nina's behavior at the hospital in Strange Interlude?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)