|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did George do when he woke up in the middle of the night when his watch stopped?
2. Which royalty was supposed to have been on Magna Charta island?
3. What does the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading turn out to be?
4. Why would J. get into trouble when he tried to make rafts?
5. Why can the men not get their canned items open during the trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of story is J. reminded of when he sees Montmorency attack the cat?
2. Why does J. have to pay a lot of money after he and some friends rent a sailboat on a windy day?
3. What does J. claim one has to do to get a tea kettle to boil?
4. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
5. Why do the men decide to get their clothes washed in Streatly?
6. What happens that lets George know that everyone is lying about who caught the fish that is mounted on the wall in the pub?
7. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
8. Why do the men pretend to ignore the steam launch when it approaches them?
9. What does J. think about rowing on the sea?
10. What kinds of complaints does J. have about steam-powered boats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze whether or not work/labor is portrayed in a positive or negative way in "Three Men in a Boat." Use at least 3 examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three literary devices Jerome uses to make the scenery in "Three Men in a Boat" become more vivid and realistic for the reader. Make sure to use specific quotations and/or examples from the text for each device discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of women with the portrayal of men in "Three Men in a Boat."
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)