|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the men not get their canned items open during the trip?
2. What kind of drink do the men take after making the stew?
3. What does J. consider Marlow to be?
4. Why did George stop in Datchet one night before his journey with his friends?
5. What kind of canned item can the men not get open during their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What change does J. notice about the group after they eat a large supper near Picnic Point?
2. How do George and J. end up getting to Henley?
3. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
4. After George's watch stops working, what does the policeman do when George asks him for the time?
5. How does the cat react when Montmorency tries to attack it?
6. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
7. What does J. complain about sarcastically concerning the problem with being towed?
8. How does Montmorency burn himself the night everyone makes stew?
9. What happens that lets George know that everyone is lying about who caught the fish that is mounted on the wall in the pub?
10. Why do the men decide to get their clothes washed in Streatly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast one of the major characters (Harris, George, or Jerome) with himself at the beginning of "Three Men in a Boat" and himself at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze what Montmorency brings to the text. Discuss three things that would be missing were he not included in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three elements of "Three Men in a Boat" that have made the novel such a timeless classic, making sure to mention why each element has connected with readers for over a century.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)