|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the men not get their canned items open during the trip?
2. With whom are Streatly and Goring popular?
3. When did George begin boating?
4. Where does George end up sleeping when he first visits Datchet?
5. What time did George's watch stop in the story J. tells?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. think about rowing on the sea?
2. How does Montmorency burn himself the night everyone makes stew?
3. Who is J. with when he gets stuck on the punt?
4. What change does J. notice about the group after they eat a large supper near Picnic Point?
5. What kinds of complaints does J. have about steam-powered boats?
6. What formula does J.'s friend have when it comes to exaggerating his fishing successes?
7. Why does J. have to pay a lot of money after he and some friends rent a sailboat on a windy day?
8. What does J. complain about sarcastically concerning the problem with being towed?
9. After George's watch stops working, what does the policeman do when George asks him for the time?
10. Why does J.'s ode to night at the end of Chapter 10 seem so out of character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least one female character in "Three Men in a Boat." Discuss how she is portrayed, what she contributes to the novel, and why Jerome would choose to include this particular type of character in a text heavily dominated by men.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast George with Harris, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary devices Jerome uses to develop a character of your choosing in "Three Men in a Boat."
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)