|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George stop in Datchet one night before his journey with his friends?
2. What does J. consider Marlow to be?
3. While in Reading, where do the men randomly meet some friends of theirs?
4. What kind of drink do the men take after making the stew?
5. Why would J. get into trouble when he tried to make rafts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of scene is J. reminded of when he thinks of King Henry courting Anne Boleyn on Magna Charta Island?
2. How does Montmorency react to the tea kettle the night everyone makes stew?
3. What does Harris claim happens to him while George and J. are at Henley?
4. What kinds of methods do the men use to try to open their canned goods during the trip?
5. How do George and J. end up getting to Henley?
6. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
7. What change does J. notice about the group after they eat a large supper near Picnic Point?
8. Why does J. have to pay a lot of money after he and some friends rent a sailboat on a windy day?
9. Why does George's reaction change from laughter when J. accidentally flings his own shirt into the river?
10. How does the cat react when Montmorency tries to attack it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least one female character in "Three Men in a Boat." Discuss how she is portrayed, what she contributes to the novel, and why Jerome would choose to include this particular type of character in a text heavily dominated by men.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast George with Harris, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your analysis.
Essay Topic 3
Present an argument discussing why the group's decision to take the train home at the conclusion of the novel DOES or DOES NOT fit with what the reader has come to learn and know about this particular group of characters.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)