|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does J. think one should do first while preparing dinner?
2. Why can the men not get their canned items open during the trip?
3. When did J. first become attracted to boats?
4. What kind of a scene does J. think of when he imagines King Henry courting someone?
5. Why did George pass the first inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of scene is J. reminded of when he thinks of King Henry courting Anne Boleyn on Magna Charta Island?
2. Why do the men pretend to ignore the steam launch when it approaches them?
3. What ends up happening to the men's canned pineapple?
4. What does Harris claim happens to him while George and J. are at Henley?
5. How do George and J. end up getting to Henley?
6. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
7. What kind of story is J. reminded of when he sees Montmorency attack the cat?
8. Why does J.'s ode to night at the end of Chapter 10 seem so out of character?
9. What ends up happening at the inns while George and J. are looking for somewhere to sleep in Datchet?
10. What does J. claim one has to do to get a tea kettle to boil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze whether or not work/labor is portrayed in a positive or negative way in "Three Men in a Boat." Use at least 3 examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices which Jerome uses to create the humorous tone throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least one direct example from the text for each device discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast one of the major characters (Harris, George, or Jerome) with himself at the beginning of "Three Men in a Boat" and himself at the conclusion of the novel.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)