|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time did George's watch stop in the story J. tells?
2. What does J. think one should do first while preparing dinner?
3. Where does George end up sleeping when he first visits Datchet?
4. How does J. describe Reading?
5. What natural wonder has a major impact on J. near picnic point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends up happening at the inns while George and J. are looking for somewhere to sleep in Datchet?
2. What happens that lets George know that everyone is lying about who caught the fish that is mounted on the wall in the pub?
3. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
4. What does J. claim is the very best way to get a tea kettle to boil?
5. What ends up happening to the men's canned pineapple?
6. What kind of scene is J. reminded of when he thinks of King Henry courting Anne Boleyn on Magna Charta Island?
7. What does J. claim one has to do to get a tea kettle to boil?
8. After George's watch stops working, what does the policeman do when George asks him for the time?
9. What kind of story is J. reminded of when he sees Montmorency attack the cat?
10. Why do the men pretend to ignore the steam launch when it approaches them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Present an argument discussing why the group's decision to take the train home at the conclusion of the novel DOES or DOES NOT fit with what the reader has come to learn and know about this particular group of characters.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least one short story that is told by a character in "Three Men in a Boat" and what it contributes to the larger story of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three literary devices Jerome uses to make the scenery in "Three Men in a Boat" become more vivid and realistic for the reader. Make sure to use specific quotations and/or examples from the text for each device discussed.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)