|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the group's original goal for Magna Charta Island?
2. While in Reading, where do the men randomly meet some friends of theirs?
3. What do the men ask of the friends they run into in Reading?
4. Why do the men not reach Magna Charta when they planned?
5. What do the men need to do to set up their boat for sleeping?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends up happening at the inns while George and J. are looking for somewhere to sleep in Datchet?
2. What happens that lets George know that everyone is lying about who caught the fish that is mounted on the wall in the pub?
3. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
4. Who is J. with when he gets stuck on the punt?
5. What does J. think about rowing on the sea?
6. What does J. complain about sarcastically concerning the problem with being towed?
7. What does Harris claim happens to him while George and J. are at Henley?
8. Why does George's reaction change from laughter when J. accidentally flings his own shirt into the river?
9. What kinds of complaints does J. have about steam-powered boats?
10. How do George and J. end up getting to Henley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze what Montmorency brings to the text. Discuss three things that would be missing were he not included in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how alcohol/drinking/being drunk is portrayed in "Three Men in a Boat" as well as why Jerome would include the instances he does of characters drinking/having too much to drink in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the portrayal of women with the portrayal of men in "Three Men in a Boat."
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)