|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up taking the first rowing shift after Reading?
2. What do the men need to do to set up their boat for sleeping?
3. What is "Picnic Point"?
4. What does George want to postpone doing before they set up their boat for sleeping near Picnic Point?
5. How does the stew turn out that the group makes?
Short Essay Questions
1. After George's watch stops working, what does the policeman do when George asks him for the time?
2. What does J. claim is the very best way to get a tea kettle to boil?
3. What does Harris claim happens to him while George and J. are at Henley?
4. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
5. What does J. think about rowing on the sea?
6. What does J. complain about sarcastically concerning the problem with being towed?
7. What kind of story is J. reminded of when he sees Montmorency attack the cat?
8. What kinds of methods do the men use to try to open their canned goods during the trip?
9. How does Montmorency react to the tea kettle the night everyone makes stew?
10. What ends up happening to the men's canned pineapple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices which Jerome uses to create the humorous tone throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least one direct example from the text for each device discussed.
Essay Topic 2
Which character (Harris, George, or J.) is portrayed in the most positive light? What from the text most informs this opinion? Use specific examples to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Present an argument discussing why the group's decision to take the train home at the conclusion of the novel DOES or DOES NOT fit with what the reader has come to learn and know about this particular group of characters.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)