|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree are Harris and J. sitting under when they are accused of trespassing?
2. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
3. According to J., what often happens to the boats that are being pulled by animals?
4. What is unique about Moulsey Lock?
5. Who wishes that he hadn't packed his tobacco pouch so soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. remark about the weather forecast as the group prepares to leave on their journey?
2. What about the houses in Kingston makes them unique?
3. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
4. In the story J. tells while the men are packing, why do all of the other passengers on the train leave when J. enters with large cheeses?
5. What happens with George and the butter as the group is packing?
6. Why does J. make fun of Harris's desire to look at old tombstone inscriptions?
7. What compromise do the men come to about sleeping at inns or camping?
8. What does George do for a living?
9. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
10. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least 3 literary devices which Jerome uses to create the humorous tone throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least one direct example from the text for each device discussed.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the portrayal of women with the portrayal of men in "Three Men in a Boat."
Essay Topic 3
In a well-written essay, discuss why the portrayal of the journey up the river in "Three Men in a Boat" is completely unrealistic and unbelievable for the average reader. Make sure to use direct evidence from the text to support your position.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)