|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
2. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
3. Who remembers that he has forgotten to pack boots?
4. Where do the men decide they will wash their clothes?
5. Who accidentally sits on the butter as the men are packing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the men wearing as they prepare to start their journey?
2. What happened to Harris the first time he went into the hedge maze?
3. What about the houses in Kingston makes them unique?
4. What kind of allegory does J. talk about once the group fine tunes their philosophy about packing?
5. In the story J. tells while the men are packing, why do all of the other passengers on the train leave when J. enters with large cheeses?
6. What does J. note about what people remember about being seasick after they return from a trip?
7. Where do J. and Harris ultimately end up getting George?
8. What does J. joke is the prime symptom of his current malady in Chapter 1?
9. What compromise do the men come to about sleeping at inns or camping?
10. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least one female character in "Three Men in a Boat." Discuss how she is portrayed, what she contributes to the novel, and why Jerome would choose to include this particular type of character in a text heavily dominated by men.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character from the text and analyze whether or not this character is likable by the average reader. What three main characteristics does this character have that may connect with an average reader of "Three Men in a Boat"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary devices Jerome uses to develop a character of your choosing in "Three Men in a Boat."
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)