|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do men usually wear when going to a lock?
2. What example is given of a simple project Uncle Podger would undertake?
3. Where do the men decide they will wash their clothes?
4. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
5. How do Harris and J. respond to the accusation that they are trespassing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
2. Who is Stivvings?
3. Why do the men decide not to pack the oil stove?
4. How does the man accusing J. and Harris of trespassing respond to their challenges of his claim?
5. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
6. What does J. joke is the prime symptom of his current malady in Chapter 1?
7. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
8. After George sees a couple walking along the shore with a tow line that is not attached to anything, what does he decide to do?
9. What does J. note about what people remember about being seasick after they return from a trip?
10. What does George do for a living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss at least three elements of "Three Men in a Boat" that have made the novel such a timeless classic, making sure to mention why each element has connected with readers for over a century.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least one female character in "Three Men in a Boat." Discuss how she is portrayed, what she contributes to the novel, and why Jerome would choose to include this particular type of character in a text heavily dominated by men.
Essay Topic 3
"Three Men in a Boat" has never gone out of print in its 120+ year history. Discuss at least three aspects of the novel that readers have identified with over the years. Will those aspects continue to connect with readers in the future? If so, how?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)