|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remembers that he has forgotten to pack boots?
2. Who first volunteers to pack everything?
3. What time did the men want to wake up on the day they start their journey?
4. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
5. What kind of dog is Montmorency?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the men have such a hard time finding a train to take them to their boat?
2. What does J. remark about the original packing list the men create for their trip?
3. What about the houses in Kingston makes them unique?
4. What does J. remark about the weather forecast as the group prepares to leave on their journey?
5. What happens with George and the butter as the group is packing?
6. Who is Stivvings?
7. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
8. After George sees a couple walking along the shore with a tow line that is not attached to anything, what does he decide to do?
9. What does George do for a living?
10. What does J. joke is the prime symptom of his current malady in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how alcohol/drinking/being drunk is portrayed in "Three Men in a Boat" as well as why Jerome would include the instances he does of characters drinking/having too much to drink in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character from the text and analyze whether or not this character is likable by the average reader. What three main characteristics does this character have that may connect with an average reader of "Three Men in a Boat"?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary devices Jerome uses to develop a character of your choosing in "Three Men in a Boat."
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)