|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings up the idea of inclement weather when the group is trying to decide if they should camp or sleep at inns during their trip?
2. What time did the men want to wake up on the day they start their journey?
3. What do the men decide not to list when it comes to packing?
4. What is the first act of work which Harris and J. make George do when he finally gets on the boat?
5. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
Short Essay Questions
1. After George's watch stops working, what does the policeman do when George asks him for the time?
2. What does J. think about rowing on the sea?
3. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
4. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
5. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
6. What kind of allegory does J. talk about once the group fine tunes their philosophy about packing?
7. How does the man accusing J. and Harris of trespassing respond to their challenges of his claim?
8. What does George do for a living?
9. What compromise do the men come to about sleeping at inns or camping?
10. What does J. remark about the original packing list the men create for their trip?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least one short story that is told by a character in "Three Men in a Boat" and what it contributes to the larger story of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices which Jerome uses to create the humorous tone throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least one direct example from the text for each device discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least one female character in "Three Men in a Boat." Discuss how she is portrayed, what she contributes to the novel, and why Jerome would choose to include this particular type of character in a text heavily dominated by men.
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)