|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
2. What does J.'s doctor prescribe?
3. How do the men ultimately get the train they need?
4. What do the men decide should be listed when it comes to packing?
5. What country are the three main characters in "Three Men in a Boat" from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
2. What compromise do the men come to about sleeping at inns or camping?
3. What does J. complain about sarcastically concerning the problem with being towed?
4. What does the group of boys tease the men about as they are outside waiting for a cab to take them to the train station?
5. What happens with other boats during the last mile of river approaching Oxford?
6. What formula does J.'s friend have when it comes to exaggerating his fishing successes?
7. What change does J. notice about the group after they eat a large supper near Picnic Point?
8. What happens that lets George know that everyone is lying about who caught the fish that is mounted on the wall in the pub?
9. What kinds of methods do the men use to try to open their canned goods during the trip?
10. Why does J.'s ode to night at the end of Chapter 10 seem so out of character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one character from the text and analyze whether or not this character is likable by the average reader. What three main characteristics does this character have that may connect with an average reader of "Three Men in a Boat"?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least one conflict the main characters (J., George, and Harris) have during their journey. How do they resolve it? What does the reader learn about at least one character through the conflict and its resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze whether or not work/labor is portrayed in a positive or negative way in "Three Men in a Boat." Use at least 3 examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)