|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first volunteers to pack everything?
2. Who wakes up the men when they oversleep on the first day of their journey?
3. Who ends up packing all of the clothes and supplies in the men's first attempt?
4. Where do the men decide they will wash their clothes?
5. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
2. Why does J. make fun of Harris's desire to look at old tombstone inscriptions?
3. Why do the men have such a hard time finding a train to take them to their boat?
4. What does J. joke is the prime symptom of his current malady in Chapter 1?
5. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
6. What does George do for a living?
7. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
8. How does the man accusing J. and Harris of trespassing respond to their challenges of his claim?
9. Why do the men decide not to pack the oil stove?
10. What about the houses in Kingston makes them unique?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least one female character in "Three Men in a Boat." Discuss how she is portrayed, what she contributes to the novel, and why Jerome would choose to include this particular type of character in a text heavily dominated by men.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three literary devices Jerome uses to develop a character of your choosing in "Three Men in a Boat."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three challenges present for the reader in knowing that the entire story of "Three Men in a Boat" is told from the point of view of J.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)