|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Harris and J. respond to the accusation that they are trespassing?
2. What kind of song is the German man in J.'s story singing when the audience has a joke played on them?
3. What meal do the men eat before departing on their trip?
4. The three main characters decide they need a break for __________.
5. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do J. and Harris ultimately end up getting George?
2. What compromise do the men come to about sleeping at inns or camping?
3. What does J. joke is the prime symptom of his current malady in Chapter 1?
4. What does George do for a living?
5. How does the man accusing J. and Harris of trespassing respond to their challenges of his claim?
6. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
7. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
8. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
9. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
10. What does Harris say he would like to do to any man who puts up a "no trespassing" sign?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze at least one short story that is told by a character in "Three Men in a Boat" and what it contributes to the larger story of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 literary devices which Jerome uses to create the humorous tone throughout the novel. Make sure to use at least one direct example from the text for each device discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three literary devices Jerome uses to develop a character of your choosing in "Three Men in a Boat."
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)