|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
2. Why is Stivvings always missing school?
3. What do the men decide not to list when it comes to packing?
4. Where do the men decide they will wash their clothes?
5. How do the men want to get to the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. remark about the weather forecast as the group prepares to leave on their journey?
2. What item does George bring onto the boat when J. and Harris pick him up?
3. Why does J. have to pay a lot of money after he and some friends rent a sailboat on a windy day?
4. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
5. What are the men wearing as they prepare to start their journey?
6. What change does J. notice about the group after they eat a large supper near Picnic Point?
7. What does Harris say he would like to do to any man who puts up a "no trespassing" sign?
8. What ends up happening at the inns while George and J. are looking for somewhere to sleep in Datchet?
9. How does the cat react when Montmorency tries to attack it?
10. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze why Jerome would include the suicide of the woman in Chapter 16. How does this suicide add to the text? What effect on the reader did Jerome intend by including such a dreadful event in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three challenges present for the reader in knowing that the entire story of "Three Men in a Boat" is told from the point of view of J.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast George with Harris, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)