|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vice are the main characters doing when the novel opens?
2. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
3. What does Harris offer the man who accuses him of trespassing?
4. Whose relative is Uncle Podger?
5. What does George report seeing a couple doing with their tow line once?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harris say he would like to do to any man who puts up a "no trespassing" sign?
2. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
3. What happens with George and the butter as the group is packing?
4. Why do the men decide not to pack the oil stove?
5. What happened to Harris the first time he went into the hedge maze?
6. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
7. Who is Stivvings?
8. What item does George bring onto the boat when J. and Harris pick him up?
9. What does J. joke is the prime symptom of his current malady in Chapter 1?
10. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast George with Harris, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character from the text and analyze whether or not this character is likable by the average reader. What three main characteristics does this character have that may connect with an average reader of "Three Men in a Boat"?
Essay Topic 3
Which character (Harris, George, or J.) is portrayed in the most positive light? What from the text most informs this opinion? Use specific examples to support your thesis.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)