|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The three main characters decide they need a break for __________.
2. Who first volunteers to pack everything?
3. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
4. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
5. What does the group do with the initial list of items to bring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
2. What are the men wearing as they prepare to start their journey?
3. What does George do for a living?
4. Why do the men have such a hard time finding a train to take them to their boat?
5. After George sees a couple walking along the shore with a tow line that is not attached to anything, what does he decide to do?
6. What item does George bring onto the boat when J. and Harris pick him up?
7. What about the houses in Kingston makes them unique?
8. Who is Stivvings?
9. Why does J. make fun of Harris's desire to look at old tombstone inscriptions?
10. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast one of the major characters (Harris, George, or Jerome) with himself at the beginning of "Three Men in a Boat" and himself at the conclusion of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one character from the text and analyze whether or not this character is likable by the average reader. What three main characteristics does this character have that may connect with an average reader of "Three Men in a Boat"?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast George with Harris, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your analysis.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)