Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings up the idea of inclement weather when the group is trying to decide if they should camp or sleep at inns during their trip?
2. What time did the men want to wake up on the day they start their journey?
3. What do the men decide not to list when it comes to packing?
4. What is the first act of work which Harris and J. make George do when he finally gets on the boat?
5. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
Short Essay Questions
1. After George's watch stops working, what does the policeman do when George asks him for the time?
2. What does J. think about rowing on the sea?
3. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
4. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
5. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
6. What kind of allegory does J. talk about once the group fine tunes their philosophy about packing?
7. How does the man accusing J. and Harris of trespassing respond to their challenges of his claim?
8. What does George do for a living?
9. What compromise do the men come to about sleeping at inns or camping?
10. What does J. remark about the original packing list the men create for their trip?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze why Jerome would include the suicide of the woman in Chapter 16. How does this suicide add to the text? What effect on the reader did Jerome intend by including such a dreadful event in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze at least three literary devices Jerome uses to develop a character of your choosing in "Three Men in a Boat."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least three literary devices Jerome uses to make the scenery in "Three Men in a Boat" become more vivid and realistic for the reader. Make sure to use specific quotations and/or examples from the text for each device discussed.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)