|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Harris usually mention during his performance?
2. When discussing what food items to bring, what food item does J. tell an amusing story about bringing on a train?
3. What does J. note often happens to the person responsible for pulling the tow line?
4. What kind of stove do the three men decide not to take on their trip?
5. What do men usually wear when going to a lock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
2. What does George do for a living?
3. What kind of allegory does J. talk about once the group fine tunes their philosophy about packing?
4. What does J. remark about the original packing list the men create for their trip?
5. What happens with George and the butter as the group is packing?
6. Why do the men have such a hard time finding a train to take them to their boat?
7. Where do J. and Harris ultimately end up getting George?
8. In the story J. tells while the men are packing, why do all of the other passengers on the train leave when J. enters with large cheeses?
9. What item does George bring onto the boat when J. and Harris pick him up?
10. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast George with Harris, making sure to use specific quotations from the text in your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how alcohol/drinking/being drunk is portrayed in "Three Men in a Boat" as well as why Jerome would include the instances he does of characters drinking/having too much to drink in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one character from the text and analyze whether or not this character is likable by the average reader. What three main characteristics does this character have that may connect with an average reader of "Three Men in a Boat"?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)