|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the group's original goal for Magna Charta Island?
(a) They want to camp there.
(b) They just want to drift by it slowly so they can check it out from their boat.
(c) It's where they've planned to end their voyage.
(d) They want to spend a few days there.
2. What kind of boat does J. remember renting with some friends on a windy day?
(a) A speedboat.
(b) A steamboat.
(c) A sailboat.
(d) A rowboat.
3. What do the men ask of the friends they run into in Reading?
(a) For some money.
(b) For a drink.
(c) For a tow.
(d) For directions.
4. What happens to Harris when he appears to disappear during lunch with the other men?
(a) He faints.
(b) He falls into the edge of a gully hidden by tall grass.
(d) He plays a trick on J.
5. What kind of experience does Harris have that the others do not?
(a) Fixing boats with leaks.
(b) Rowing at sea.
(c) Navigating by the stars.
(d) Making navigational maps.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did King Henry VIII reportedly court on Magna Charta Island?
2. Why do the men insist that their food supplies be delivered to their boat immediately?
3. According to J., the steam-powered boats run faster than ___________.
4. When do most young men begin boating?
5. What is "Picnic Point"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. think about rowing on the sea?
2. Why does J. have to pay a lot of money after he and some friends rent a sailboat on a windy day?
3. Why do the men decide to get their clothes washed in Streatly?
4. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
5. What happens that lets George know that everyone is lying about who caught the fish that is mounted on the wall in the pub?
6. How do George and J. end up getting to Henley?
7. What kind of story is J. reminded of when he sees Montmorency attack the cat?
8. What kinds of methods do the men use to try to open their canned goods during the trip?
9. Why does George's reaction change from laughter when J. accidentally flings his own shirt into the river?
10. What does J. claim one has to do to get a tea kettle to boil?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)