|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men not reach Magna Charta when they planned?
(a) Their boat runs out of gas.
(b) It is too far, and they are tired.
(c) The island doesn't actually exist.
(d) Their map is wrong.
2. How is Sonning described by J.?
(a) As a ghost town.
(b) As a scary town trapped in the past.
(c) As a picturesque village with quaint houses and gardens.
(d) As the place he wants to go when he settles down and has a family.
3. What is the first sign that George's watch might be broken in the story J. tells?
(a) The landlady hadn't made breakfast.
(b) The sun was not up.
(c) The sun had already been up for quite some time.
(d) The coffee was cold.
4. What natural wonder has a major impact on J. near picnic point?
(a) A meteor shower.
(b) The stars and darkness of night.
(c) The sounds of wolves.
(d) The extreme cold.
5. What unusual thing do the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading?
(a) Something black.
(b) Lots and lots of bubbles.
(c) Large boxes.
(d) Brightly colored clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do most young men begin boating?
2. Where do the men decide they must bathe during their trip?
3. In the story he tells, how does J. get saved from being stuck at the top of a pole?
4. What time does George hear the bells chime in the story which J. tells about George's broken watch?
5. How do the men react to Montmorency's offer for the stew?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does George's reaction change from laughter when J. accidentally flings his own shirt into the river?
2. How does the cat react when Montmorency tries to attack it?
3. How do George and J. end up getting to Henley?
4. What kinds of methods do the men use to try to open their canned goods during the trip?
5. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
6. What does J. claim one has to do to get a tea kettle to boil?
7. After George's watch stops working, what does the policeman do when George asks him for the time?
8. What formula does J.'s friend have when it comes to exaggerating his fishing successes?
9. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
10. How does Montmorency burn himself the night everyone makes stew?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)