|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did George pass the first inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
(a) It was too expensive.
(b) It was really dirty.
(c) It was full.
(d) He thought there might be a better one down the road.
2. What does the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading turn out to be?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A mannequin.
(c) An old blanket.
(d) A dead woman.
3. Where is George when he hears the bells chime in the story J. tells?
(a) At the bus station.
(b) Still in bed.
(c) At his office.
(d) Fishing at the shore.
4. What happens to Harris when he appears to disappear during lunch with the other men?
(a) He plays a trick on J.
(b) He faints.
(d) He falls into the edge of a gully hidden by tall grass.
5. Why did George stop in Datchet one night before his journey with his friends?
(a) He was looking for his girlfriend.
(b) He was very drunk and very lost.
(c) He was looking for an old friend.
(d) He wanted a place to sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does J. think would make it easier for him to go back to sleep after he's had a rough night?
2. Where does George end up sleeping when he first visits Datchet?
3. Whom does George finally ask about the time in the story J. tells about the broken watch?
4. Why does J. think he shouldn't have to row after the group passes Reading?
5. When did George begin boating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that lets George know that everyone is lying about who caught the fish that is mounted on the wall in the pub?
2. What kinds of methods do the men use to try to open their canned goods during the trip?
3. What does J. claim one has to do to get a tea kettle to boil?
4. What kind of story is J. reminded of when he sees Montmorency attack the cat?
5. What does J.'s friend miscalculate with the punt when they are boating together?
6. What does J. complain about sarcastically concerning the problem with being towed?
7. What does J. claim is the very best way to get a tea kettle to boil?
8. What change does J. notice about the group after they eat a large supper near Picnic Point?
9. What ends up happening to the men's canned pineapple?
10. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)