|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What usually happens when Harris tries to sing songs at parties?
(a) He loses his voice because he sings so loudly.
(b) He forgets the words.
(c) He attracts a lot of attention because he is so good.
(d) He makes people cry.
2. What does J. think tow lines have an uncanny ability to do?
(a) Get longer and longer.
(b) Get tangled.
(c) Change color depending on the time of day.
3. According to J., what animals do some kind of boaters hire to pull their boats?
4. What does George report seeing a couple doing with their tow line once?
(a) Pulling it , although it was not attached to anything.
(b) Cutting it in half because they were so angry with each other.
(c) Arguing over it.
(d) Using it to play tug-of-war.
5. What is the most common way for someone to pull the tow line?
(a) While walking.
(b) On roller skates.
(c) With a special contraption that looks like a tractor.
(d) While running.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to J., what are girls constantly asking while they tow the boat?
2. In what year was "Three Men in a Boat" published?
3. What do the men push aside to make room for everything they want to pack?
4. What does J. note often happens to the person responsible for pulling the tow line?
5. What word does J. use to describe what it's like to get one's boat towed by girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do J. and Harris ultimately end up getting George?
2. What does J. remark about the weather forecast as the group prepares to leave on their journey?
3. What does J. remark about the original packing list the men create for their trip?
4. What does George do for a living?
5. What kind of allegory does J. talk about once the group fine tunes their philosophy about packing?
6. Why does J. make fun of Harris's desire to look at old tombstone inscriptions?
7. What happened to Harris the first time he went into the hedge maze?
8. Why do the men decide not to pack the oil stove?
9. Who is Stivvings?
10. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)