|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George report seeing a couple doing with their tow line once?
(a) Pulling it , although it was not attached to anything.
(b) Arguing over it.
(c) Using it to play tug-of-war.
(d) Cutting it in half because they were so angry with each other.
2. What food item do the men discuss and decide not to bring with them on their trip?
3. What usually happens when Harris tries to sing songs at parties?
(a) He makes people cry.
(b) He loses his voice because he sings so loudly.
(c) He attracts a lot of attention because he is so good.
(d) He forgets the words.
4. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
(a) Boston and Newport.
(b) Halliford and Shepperton.
(c) Newport and Bridgeport.
(d) Burlington and Burlingame.
5. What does J. think tow lines have an uncanny ability to do?
(b) Get tangled.
(c) Get longer and longer.
(d) Change color depending on the time of day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
2. Where do Harris and J. stop when they are informed they are trespassing?
3. Where do the men take their train to meet their boat?
4. What is the first act of work which Harris and J. make George do when he finally gets on the boat?
5. What do the men decide not to list when it comes to packing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the story J. tells while the men are packing, why do all of the other passengers on the train leave when J. enters with large cheeses?
2. What does J. remark about the weather forecast as the group prepares to leave on their journey?
3. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
4. What about the houses in Kingston makes them unique?
5. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
6. Why do the men decide not to pack the oil stove?
7. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
8. What compromise do the men come to about sleeping at inns or camping?
9. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
10. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)