|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harris offer the man who accuses him of trespassing?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(b) Bread and jam.
(c) Salted meat.
2. J. believes that fellow boaters blame _________________when their tow lines get tangled.
(a) The goddess of rivers.
(b) The god of water.
(d) Each other.
3. Kingston is known for being ___________________.
(a) The former royal seat of the Saxon kings.
(b) The largest port city in England.
(c) A large battle that was fought there between the French and the German.
(d) A large battle that was fought there between the French and the Irish.
4. Why is Stivvings always missing school?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He must help his ailing mother.
(c) He cuts classes with his friends.
(d) He sleeps in and misses the bus.
5. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
(a) Lazy ones.
(b) Proper ones.
(c) Cruel ones.
(d) Rich ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which characters are initially in favor of camping during the trip?
2. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
3. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
4. What do men usually wear when going to a lock?
5. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the men wearing as they prepare to start their journey?
2. Why do the men have such a hard time finding a train to take them to their boat?
3. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
4. What item does George bring onto the boat when J. and Harris pick him up?
5. Who is Stivvings?
6. What does J. remark about the weather forecast as the group prepares to leave on their journey?
7. What does the group of boys tease the men about as they are outside waiting for a cab to take them to the train station?
8. What happens with George and the butter as the group is packing?
9. What happened to Harris the first time he went into the hedge maze?
10. Why does J. make fun of Harris's desire to look at old tombstone inscriptions?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)