|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
(a) They were up so late packing.
(b) They are all getting sick.
(c) Someone drugged them.
(d) They don't really want to go.
2. What country are the three main characters in "Three Men in a Boat" from?
(d) South Africa.
3. What does Harris offer the man who accuses him of trespassing?
(a) Bread and jam.
(b) Salted meat.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
4. What is distinct about the house in Kingston which J. tells a story about?
(a) There is a lot of carved oak present in the house.
(b) It has a large, beautiful staircase.
(c) The owner has covered the walls with wallpaper.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
5. Who brings up the idea of inclement weather when the group is trying to decide if they should camp or sleep at inns during their trip?
(b) The dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wakes up the men when they oversleep on the first day of their journey?
2. Which characters are initially in favor of camping during the trip?
3. According to J., what often happens to the boats that are being pulled by animals?
4. What is Harris's full name?
5. What is the first act of work which Harris and J. make George do when he finally gets on the boat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Harris and J. have to pick up George after they start the journey?
2. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
3. Why do the men have such a hard time finding a train to take them to their boat?
4. What are the men wearing as they prepare to start their journey?
5. What does J. remark about the original packing list the men create for their trip?
6. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
7. What does Harris say he would like to do to any man who puts up a "no trespassing" sign?
8. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
9. What item does George bring onto the boat when J. and Harris pick him up?
10. In the story J. tells while the men are packing, why do all of the other passengers on the train leave when J. enters with large cheeses?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)