|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do to celebrate coming to a compromise about their sleeping arrangements?
(a) Smoke a fancy cigar.
(b) Have custom tents made.
(c) Give each other a pat on the back.
(d) Go out for a drink.
2. Whom do the men blame for oversleeping?
(a) The dog.
(b) The alarm clock.
(c) Each other.
(d) The maid.
3. What kinds of songs does Harris sometimes sing at parties?
(a) Jazz songs.
(b) Opera songs.
(c) Comic songs.
(d) Romantic songs.
4. What usually happens when Harris tries to sing songs at parties?
(a) He attracts a lot of attention because he is so good.
(b) He makes people cry.
(c) He loses his voice because he sings so loudly.
(d) He forgets the words.
5. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
(a) Someone drugged them.
(b) They don't really want to go.
(c) They were up so late packing.
(d) They are all getting sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ends up packing all of the clothes and supplies in the men's first attempt?
2. J. believes that fellow boaters blame _________________when their tow lines get tangled.
3. After reaching a compromise on the camping/going to an inn decision, when do the friends next meet up to plan their trip?
4. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
5. What country are the three main characters in "Three Men in a Boat" from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
2. What does the photographer end up capturing as he prepares to take a picture of J. and George posing vainly by their boat?
3. What kinds of methods do the men use to try to open their canned goods during the trip?
4. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
5. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
6. What does J. claim one has to do to get a tea kettle to boil?
7. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
8. Describe the last mile of the river approaching Oxford.
9. How does J. end up being the first one to take a bath in the river?
10. Why do the men decide to get their clothes washed in Streatly?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)