|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George report seeing a couple doing with their tow line once?
(a) Arguing over it.
(b) Using it to play tug-of-war.
(c) Cutting it in half because they were so angry with each other.
(d) Pulling it , although it was not attached to anything.
2. What time do the men wake up on the day they start their journey?
(a) 10:00 a.m.
(b) 1:00 p.m.
(c) 11:00 a.m.
(d) 9:00 a.m.
3. What kind of stove do the three men decide not to take on their trip?
(a) A gas stove.
(b) An oil stove.
(c) A steam stove.
(d) A coal stove.
4. Why do the people in the boat often want the attention of the person pulling the tow line?
(a) People play a game of trying to get the most attention.
(b) Something has gone wrong.
(c) It is customary to tease them.
(d) Everyone wants a chance to pull.
5. What country are the three main characters in "Three Men in a Boat" from?
(b) South Africa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to J. when he gets on the train after telling his story while the men decide which food to bring?
2. Which characters are initially in favor of camping during the trip?
3. What do the men decide not to list when it comes to packing?
4. Whose relative is Uncle Podger?
5. What do the men check at breakfast on the day of their departure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. remark about the original packing list the men create for their trip?
2. What does Harris say he would like to do to any man who puts up a "no trespassing" sign?
3. Why do the men decide not to pack the oil stove?
4. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
5. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
6. What happens with George and the butter as the group is packing?
7. What does J. say he actually intended when he volunteered to pack?
8. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
9. In the story J. tells while the men are packing, why do all of the other passengers on the train leave when J. enters with large cheeses?
10. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)