|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to J. when he gets on the train after telling his story while the men decide which food to bring?
(a) His food is stolen.
(b) Everyone wants some of his food.
(c) He makes money selling food to hungry passengers.
(d) All the other passengers leave him alone.
2. When discussing what food items to bring, what food item does J. tell an amusing story about bringing on a train?
(a) A barrel of whiskey.
(b) Pig feet.
(c) Large cheeses.
(d) Frog legs.
3. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Pedal pushers.
(c) Large, voluminous gowns.
(d) Pretty (but often impractical) dresses.
4. What time did the men want to wake up on the day they start their journey?
(a) 5:30 a.m.
(b) 6:30 a.m.
(c) 4:30 a.m.
(d) 7:30 a.m.
5. What does the story of the shop in a former house prompt J. to think about?
(a) How money can't buy happiness.
(b) How people always seem to end up with what they do not want.
(c) How there's nothing like a place to call home.
(d) How important women are to making a place look nice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who remembers that he has forgotten to pack boots?
2. Who wakes up the men when they oversleep on the first day of their journey?
3. What food item do the men discuss and decide not to bring with them on their trip?
4. In the first chapter, who admits that he is something of a hypochondriac?
5. What does J. think tow lines have an uncanny ability to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does J. report happened to two men he saw on shore once, holding a tow line and looking blankly at each other?
2. What does J. believe boaters can do to prevent tangles in the tow line?
3. Why do the men decide not to pack the oil stove?
4. In the story J. tells while the men are packing, why do all of the other passengers on the train leave when J. enters with large cheeses?
5. What does the group of boys tease the men about as they are outside waiting for a cab to take them to the train station?
6. What about the houses in Kingston makes them unique?
7. How many girls does J. joke are needed to pull a tow line?
8. What item does George bring onto the boat when J. and Harris pick him up?
9. What does J. joke is the prime symptom of his current malady in Chapter 1?
10. What does J. admit he thinks when he reads advertisements for new patent medicines?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)