|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of animal does Montmorency attack?
(a) A wombat.
(b) A rat.
(c) A bat.
(d) A cat.
2. According to J., the steam-powered boats run faster than ___________.
(a) Cargo ships.
(b) Small rowboats.
3. What time did George's watch stop in the story J. tells?
4. When did J. first become attracted to boats?
(a) In the past 6 months.
(b) At a young age.
(c) Not until this trip.
(d) When he met his girlfriend.
5. Which character (other than J.) has a rough night sleeping near Picnic Point?
(a) The dog.
(b) No other character.
6. Why did George pass the second inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
(a) He thought there might be a better one down the road.
(b) It was full.
(c) It was too expensive.
(d) It was really dirty.
7. What does J. remark about people's impression of their own work while on a boat?
(a) Each person feels guilty for not doing enough.
(b) Each person thinks he has done more work than anyone else.
(c) Each person thinks the other people are lazy.
(d) People try to show each other up in how much work they can do.
8. What kind of boat does J. remember renting with some friends on a windy day?
(a) A speedboat.
(b) A rowboat.
(c) A steamboat.
(d) A sailboat.
9. What kind of a scene does J. think of when he imagines King Henry courting someone?
(a) An awkward scene.
(b) A terrifying scene.
(c) A very pompous scene.
(d) A very romantic scene.
10. What does J. think is the best way to get a tea kettle to boil?
(a) Put it on a low flame.
(b) Ignore it.
(c) Put it on a high flame.
(d) Stare at it.
11. What does Montmorency offer up for the stew?
(a) A bone.
(b) A water rat.
(c) His dog food.
(d) Some rocks.
12. Which two characters have previously taken a boat trip together?
(a) The dog and J.
(b) Harris and George.
(c) J. and Harris.
(d) J. and George.
13. What signals finally allow George and J. to find Harris the night they go to Henley?
(a) Police sirens and the light of flames.
(b) The terrible sound of Harris singing and playing the banjo.
(c) The sound of waves crashing up against the boat.
(d) Montmorency barking and a light.
14. What does J. think one should do first while preparing dinner?
(a) Preheat the oven.
(b) Put some snacks out.
(c) Put the tea kettle on.
(d) Read the recipe.
15. What is the first sign that George's watch might be broken in the story J. tells?
(a) The coffee was cold.
(b) The sun had already been up for quite some time.
(c) The landlady hadn't made breakfast.
(d) The sun was not up.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do most young men begin boating?
2. Where is George when he hears the bells chime in the story J. tells?
3. Who follows the men to their boat as their stored food is being replaced?
4. Why did George pass the first inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
5. What do the men need to do to set up their boat for sleeping?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)