|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character (other than J.) has a rough night sleeping near Picnic Point?
(b) The dog.
(c) No other character.
2. What kind of lunch is Harris eating when he seemingly disappears?
(a) A fruit salad.
(b) A meat pie.
(c) Bread and cheese.
(d) Corned beef with mustard.
3. When do most young men begin boating?
(a) As a teenager.
(b) As soon as they want to impress a girl.
(c) As a scout.
(d) As soon as they can walk.
4. According to J., the steam-powered boats run faster than ___________.
(b) Cargo ships.
(d) Small rowboats.
5. Who follows the men to their boat as their stored food is being replaced?
(a) Delivery boys.
(b) Random townspeople.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
6. Who provides a brief history of Marlow?
(a) The captain.
7. What kind of boat does J. remember renting with some friends on a windy day?
(a) A sailboat.
(b) A steamboat.
(c) A speedboat.
(d) A rowboat.
8. Why would J. get into trouble when he tried to make rafts?
(a) He made them too small.
(b) He was supposed to be at school instead.
(c) He made them too large.
(d) He would steal the material he needed.
9. What does J. consider Marlow to be?
(a) A horrible place where everything is too expensive.
(b) A horrible place where the people smell bad.
(c) Heaven on earth.
(d) One of the most attractive river towns on the trip.
10. What did George do when he woke up in the middle of the night when his watch stopped?
(a) He thought he had a lot more time to sleep.
(b) He thought he was late for work.
(c) He thought he had to start getting ready for work.
(d) He thought it was Saturday.
11. While in Reading, where do the men randomly meet some friends of theirs?
(a) At a pub.
(b) In a steam launch.
(c) In an inn.
(d) In a restaurant.
12. What condiment do the men lament not having for their beef during their trip?
13. Who takes charge of the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading?
(a) Just J.
(b) George, J., and Harris.
(c) Just Harris.
(d) Some men on shore.
14. Whom did King Henry VIII reportedly court on Magna Charta Island?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Mary Boleyn.
(c) Queen Mary.
(d) Anne Boleyn.
15. What skill is J. apparently lacking to be a great fisherman?
(a) He feels too bad for the fish.
(b) He doesn't know how to tie good knots in the fishing line.
(c) He is not patient enough.
(d) He is not a good enough liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does J. remark about people's impression of their own work while on a boat?
2. What is the group's original goal for Magna Charta Island?
3. Where do the men decide they must bathe during their trip?
4. What time does George hear the bells chime in the story which J. tells about George's broken watch?
5. What kind of canned item can the men not get open during their trip?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)