|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of experience does Harris have that the others do not?
(a) Rowing at sea.
(b) Fixing boats with leaks.
(c) Making navigational maps.
(d) Navigating by the stars.
2. What does J. consider Marlow to be?
(a) Heaven on earth.
(b) A horrible place where everything is too expensive.
(c) One of the most attractive river towns on the trip.
(d) A horrible place where the people smell bad.
3. What kind of boat does J. remember renting with some friends on a windy day?
(a) A rowboat.
(b) A steamboat.
(c) A sailboat.
(d) A speedboat.
4. Who ends up taking the first rowing shift after Reading?
(a) No one because they use the sail.
5. Who gets tangled up in the materials needed to prepare the boat for sleeping?
(a) J. and George.
(b) Harris and J.
(c) Just George.
(d) George and Harris.
6. What animal does Harris imagine has attacked him while George and J. were in Henley?
7. J. thinks that Montmorency's breed of dog has a ______________nature.
8. Who takes charge of the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading?
(a) Some men on shore.
(b) George, J., and Harris.
(c) Just J.
(d) Just Harris.
9. When do most young men begin boating?
(a) As soon as they want to impress a girl.
(b) As soon as they can walk.
(c) As a scout.
(d) As a teenager.
10. When did George begin boating?
(a) At a very young age.
(b) As a teenager.
(c) When he was trying to impress a girl.
(d) This is his first trip.
11. How is Sonning described by J.?
(a) As a ghost town.
(b) As a scary town trapped in the past.
(c) As a picturesque village with quaint houses and gardens.
(d) As the place he wants to go when he settles down and has a family.
12. Why do the men insist that their food supplies be delivered to their boat immediately?
(a) They need to divide the food supplies into daily portions before leaving.
(b) They are worried the food might spoil.
(c) They have no food available.
(d) So they can get back on the river.
13. Whom does George finally ask about the time in the story J. tells about the broken watch?
(a) A priest.
(b) A newspaper vendor.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) A policeman.
14. Where does George end up sleeping when he first visits Datchet?
(a) In the forest.
(b) The first inn where he stopped.
(c) The second inn where he stopped.
(d) A private home.
15. What unusual thing do the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading?
(a) Lots and lots of bubbles.
(b) Large boxes.
(c) Brightly colored clothes.
(d) Something black.
Short Answer Questions
1. What historic document was signed at Manga Charta Island?
2. Where near Sonning do the men decide to camp?
3. What signals finally allow George and J. to find Harris the night they go to Henley?
4. How much money does J. have to pay for the boat he rents with friends on a windy day?
5. Why did George pass the first inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)