|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does J. describe Reading?
(a) As heaven on earth.
(b) As unattractive.
(c) As a scene from Norman Rockwell.
(d) As a Monet painting.
2. How does the stew turn out that the group makes?
(b) Way too sweet.
(c) Way too salty.
(d) It is scorched by the fire.
3. What makes setting up the boat for sleeping take so long?
(a) The blankets have bugs in them that need to be picked out.
(b) The tents keep collapsing.
(c) The air mattress has a hole in it.
(d) The hoops and canvas don't fit.
4. What attracts the men to stop in Streatly, even though they weren't planning on it?
(a) The dog is going crazy on the boat.
(b) Their food falls overboard.
(c) It seems charming.
(d) They can't take being seasick anymore.
5. What kind of a scene does J. think of when he imagines King Henry courting someone?
(a) A terrifying scene.
(b) A very romantic scene.
(c) A very pompous scene.
(d) An awkward scene.
6. What kind of breakfast do the men have after the night in Henley?
(a) A plain one.
(b) A very fancy one.
(c) None, because they have run out of breakfast foods.
(d) A quiet one with no conversation.
7. Where does George end up sleeping when he first visits Datchet?
(a) The first inn where he stopped.
(b) The second inn where he stopped.
(c) A private home.
(d) In the forest.
8. Why does J. have trouble sleeping near Picnic Point?
(a) Coyotes are nearby.
(b) He is sick.
(c) He can't get comfortable.
(d) He keeps thinking of his childhood.
9. Who finally ends up helping George find a place to sleep when he first visits Datchet?
(a) A beautiful girl.
(b) No one.
(c) A small boy.
(d) An old man.
10. What skill is J. apparently lacking to be a great fisherman?
(a) He is not patient enough.
(b) He feels too bad for the fish.
(c) He is not a good enough liar.
(d) He doesn't know how to tie good knots in the fishing line.
11. What is "Picnic Point"?
(a) The name they give the place on their boat where they always eat.
(b) The name of the place the group stops at when it can't reach Magna Charta as planned.
(c) A famous spot in the river that is good for eating lunch.
(d) The name of J.'s hometown.
12. When do most young men begin boating?
(a) As a teenager.
(b) As soon as they want to impress a girl.
(c) As a scout.
(d) As soon as they can walk.
13. What did George do when he woke up in the middle of the night when his watch stopped?
(a) He thought he had a lot more time to sleep.
(b) He thought he had to start getting ready for work.
(c) He thought it was Saturday.
(d) He thought he was late for work.
14. What signals finally allow George and J. to find Harris the night they go to Henley?
(a) The terrible sound of Harris singing and playing the banjo.
(b) The sound of waves crashing up against the boat.
(c) Montmorency barking and a light.
(d) Police sirens and the light of flames.
15. What does J. think is the best way to get a tea kettle to boil?
(a) Put it on a high flame.
(b) Stare at it.
(c) Ignore it.
(d) Put it on a low flame.
Short Answer Questions
1. J. thinks that Montmorency's breed of dog has a ______________nature.
2. How does Montmorency react to the men's jovial demeanor while making the stew?
3. Whom does George finally ask about the time in the story J. tells about the broken watch?
4. What does J. think would make it easier for him to go back to sleep after he's had a rough night?
5. How is Sonning described by J.?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)