|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did J. first become attracted to boats?
(a) When he met his girlfriend.
(b) Not until this trip.
(c) In the past 6 months.
(d) At a young age.
2. What signals finally allow George and J. to find Harris the night they go to Henley?
(a) Montmorency barking and a light.
(b) Police sirens and the light of flames.
(c) The terrible sound of Harris singing and playing the banjo.
(d) The sound of waves crashing up against the boat.
3. How does the stew turn out that the group makes?
(a) Way too salty.
(b) Way too sweet.
(c) It is scorched by the fire.
4. When do most young men begin boating?
(a) As a teenager.
(b) As soon as they can walk.
(c) As a scout.
(d) As soon as they want to impress a girl.
5. Why do the men insist that their food supplies be delivered to their boat immediately?
(a) They are worried the food might spoil.
(b) They have no food available.
(c) So they can get back on the river.
(d) They need to divide the food supplies into daily portions before leaving.
6. J. thinks that Montmorency's breed of dog has a ______________nature.
7. What natural wonder has a major impact on J. near picnic point?
(a) The stars and darkness of night.
(b) The extreme cold.
(c) The sounds of wolves.
(d) A meteor shower.
8. Whom does George finally ask about the time in the story J. tells about the broken watch?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A newspaper vendor.
(d) His girlfriend.
9. What does Montmorency offer up for the stew?
(a) A bone.
(b) A water rat.
(c) His dog food.
(d) Some rocks.
10. Which character (other than J.) has a rough night sleeping near Picnic Point?
(a) No other character.
(c) The dog.
11. Who provides a brief history of Marlow?
(c) The captain.
12. Why does J. think he shouldn't have to row after the group passes Reading?
(a) He has hurt himself.
(b) He showed them such a good time in town.
(c) He is getting sunburned.
(d) His turn is over.
13. What animal does Harris imagine has attacked him while George and J. were in Henley?
14. How much money does J. have to pay for the boat he rents with friends on a windy day?
(a) Quite a bit.
(b) Only one shilling.
(c) A few dollars.
(d) No money.
15. How does Montmorency react to the animal he tries to attack?
(a) He is intimidated by it.
(b) He scares it away but doesn't actually end up hurting it.
(c) He kills it.
(d) He acts mean but then ends up being nice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of stew does the group think they are making?
2. Who suggests the group make a stew one night for dinner?
3. Who follows the men to their boat as their stored food is being replaced?
4. What do the men need to do to set up their boat for sleeping?
5. What did George do when he woke up in the middle of the night when his watch stopped?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)