|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What signals finally allow George and J. to find Harris the night they go to Henley?
(a) The sound of waves crashing up against the boat.
(b) Police sirens and the light of flames.
(c) The terrible sound of Harris singing and playing the banjo.
(d) Montmorency barking and a light.
2. What kind of breakfast do the men have after the night in Henley?
(a) A plain one.
(b) A very fancy one.
(c) None, because they have run out of breakfast foods.
(d) A quiet one with no conversation.
3. Where does George end up sleeping when he first visits Datchet?
(a) The first inn where he stopped.
(b) In the forest.
(c) A private home.
(d) The second inn where he stopped.
4. What does the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading turn out to be?
(a) An old blanket.
(b) A mannequin.
(c) A dead woman.
(d) A suitcase.
5. What skill is J. apparently lacking to be a great fisherman?
(a) He is not patient enough.
(b) He is not a good enough liar.
(c) He feels too bad for the fish.
(d) He doesn't know how to tie good knots in the fishing line.
6. When do most young men begin boating?
(a) As soon as they want to impress a girl.
(b) As soon as they can walk.
(c) As a scout.
(d) As a teenager.
7. What does Montmorency offer up for the stew?
(a) A bone.
(b) His dog food.
(c) Some rocks.
(d) A water rat.
8. After what meal do the men decide to replenish their stored food?
(c) They have no need to replenish their stored food.
9. What natural wonder has a major impact on J. near picnic point?
(a) The sounds of wolves.
(b) A meteor shower.
(c) The extreme cold.
(d) The stars and darkness of night.
10. Why did George stop in Datchet one night before his journey with his friends?
(a) He wanted a place to sleep.
(b) He was looking for his girlfriend.
(c) He was very drunk and very lost.
(d) He was looking for an old friend.
11. What animal does Harris imagine has attacked him while George and J. were in Henley?
12. Who suggests the group make a stew one night for dinner?
(a) The dog.
13. What unusual thing do the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading?
(a) Brightly colored clothes.
(b) Something black.
(c) Large boxes.
(d) Lots and lots of bubbles.
14. What kind of experience does Harris have that the others do not?
(a) Rowing at sea.
(b) Fixing boats with leaks.
(c) Making navigational maps.
(d) Navigating by the stars.
15. What does J. think would make it easier for him to go back to sleep after he's had a rough night?
(a) If the wildlife would just be quiet.
(b) If he had somewhere to be at a certain time.
(c) If his fellow travelers just left him alone for a little bit.
(d) A gate so he doesn't have to worry about rolling off the boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does J. think he shouldn't have to row after the group passes Reading?
2. How does the stew turn out that the group makes?
3. J. thinks that Montmorency's breed of dog has a ______________nature.
4. While in Reading, where do the men randomly meet some friends of theirs?
5. With whom are Streatly and Goring popular?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)