|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does J. consider Marlow to be?
(a) Heaven on earth.
(b) A horrible place where everything is too expensive.
(c) One of the most attractive river towns on the trip.
(d) A horrible place where the people smell bad.
2. What kind of animal does Montmorency attack?
(a) A cat.
(b) A bat.
(c) A wombat.
(d) A rat.
3. Why did George pass the second inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
(a) It was too expensive.
(b) It was full.
(c) It was really dirty.
(d) He thought there might be a better one down the road.
4. How does Montmorency react to the men's jovial demeanor while making the stew?
(a) He disappears for awhile.
(b) He gets into the spirit.
(c) He becomes afraid.
(d) He naps.
5. What time does George hear the bells chime in the story which J. tells about George's broken watch?
6. What kind of stew does the group think they are making?
(a) An "English" stew.
(b) A "Scottish" stew.
(c) An "American" stew.
(d) An "Irish" stew.
7. What does Montmorency offer up for the stew?
(a) His dog food.
(b) A bone.
(c) Some rocks.
(d) A water rat.
8. When do most young men begin boating?
(a) As a scout.
(b) As soon as they want to impress a girl.
(c) As soon as they can walk.
(d) As a teenager.
9. What did George do when he woke up in the middle of the night when his watch stopped?
(a) He thought he was late for work.
(b) He thought he had to start getting ready for work.
(c) He thought he had a lot more time to sleep.
(d) He thought it was Saturday.
10. What is the first sign that George's watch might be broken in the story J. tells?
(a) The sun was not up.
(b) The coffee was cold.
(c) The landlady hadn't made breakfast.
(d) The sun had already been up for quite some time.
11. Which royalty was supposed to have been on Magna Charta island?
(a) King John.
(b) Queen Elizabeth.
(c) Queen Mary.
(d) King Harry.
12. When did George begin boating?
(a) At a very young age.
(b) As a teenager.
(c) This is his first trip.
(d) When he was trying to impress a girl.
13. What do the men ask of the friends they run into in Reading?
(a) For directions.
(b) For a drink.
(c) For some money.
(d) For a tow.
14. Who ultimately claims that he caught the large fish mounted in the pub?
(a) The bartender.
(c) Captain Ahab.
15. How is Sonning described by J.?
(a) As a picturesque village with quaint houses and gardens.
(b) As the place he wants to go when he settles down and has a family.
(c) As a ghost town.
(d) As a scary town trapped in the past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of lunch is Harris eating when he seemingly disappears?
2. Which two characters have previously taken a boat trip together?
3. When did J. first become attracted to boats?
4. What happens to Harris when he appears to disappear during lunch with the other men?
5. What does J. think one should do first while preparing dinner?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)