|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests the group make a stew one night for dinner?
(b) The dog.
2. What natural wonder has a major impact on J. near picnic point?
(a) The extreme cold.
(b) The stars and darkness of night.
(c) The sounds of wolves.
(d) A meteor shower.
3. What makes setting up the boat for sleeping take so long?
(a) The hoops and canvas don't fit.
(b) The blankets have bugs in them that need to be picked out.
(c) The tents keep collapsing.
(d) The air mattress has a hole in it.
4. What unusual thing do the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading?
(a) Large boxes.
(b) Brightly colored clothes.
(c) Something black.
(d) Lots and lots of bubbles.
5. What kind of experience does Harris have that the others do not?
(a) Fixing boats with leaks.
(b) Rowing at sea.
(c) Making navigational maps.
(d) Navigating by the stars.
6. When did J. first become attracted to boats?
(a) At a young age.
(b) When he met his girlfriend.
(c) In the past 6 months.
(d) Not until this trip.
7. Whom does George finally ask about the time in the story J. tells about the broken watch?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A priest.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) A newspaper vendor.
8. What signals finally allow George and J. to find Harris the night they go to Henley?
(a) Police sirens and the light of flames.
(b) Montmorency barking and a light.
(c) The terrible sound of Harris singing and playing the banjo.
(d) The sound of waves crashing up against the boat.
9. What does the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading turn out to be?
(a) A dead woman.
(b) An old blanket.
(c) A mannequin.
(d) A suitcase.
10. What kind of drink do the men take after making the stew?
11. Whose shirt does J. accidentally fling into the river?
(a) His own.
(c) The captain's.
12. Where do the men decide they must bathe during their trip?
(a) At a private bathroom on land somewhere.
(b) In a pond.
(c) In the boat's bathtub.
(d) In the river.
13. What kind of lunch is Harris eating when he seemingly disappears?
(a) A fruit salad.
(b) Bread and cheese.
(c) Corned beef with mustard.
(d) A meat pie.
14. How does Montmorency react to the men's jovial demeanor while making the stew?
(a) He gets into the spirit.
(b) He becomes afraid.
(c) He naps.
(d) He disappears for awhile.
15. Which two characters have previously taken a boat trip together?
(a) Harris and George.
(b) J. and Harris.
(c) The dog and J.
(d) J. and George.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of breakfast do the men have after the night in Henley?
2. What is the first sign that George's watch might be broken in the story J. tells?
3. How is Sonning described by J.?
4. What kind of boat does J. remember renting with some friends on a windy day?
5. When do most young men begin boating?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)