|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What skill is J. apparently lacking to be a great fisherman?
(a) He is not patient enough.
(b) He doesn't know how to tie good knots in the fishing line.
(c) He is not a good enough liar.
(d) He feels too bad for the fish.
2. What kind of a scene does J. think of when he imagines King Henry courting someone?
(a) A very pompous scene.
(b) An awkward scene.
(c) A very romantic scene.
(d) A terrifying scene.
3. What natural wonder has a major impact on J. near picnic point?
(a) The sounds of wolves.
(b) The extreme cold.
(c) The stars and darkness of night.
(d) A meteor shower.
4. Why did George pass the second inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
(a) He thought there might be a better one down the road.
(b) It was full.
(c) It was too expensive.
(d) It was really dirty.
5. What kind of animal does Montmorency attack?
(a) A wombat.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bat.
(d) A rat.
6. What condiment do the men lament not having for their beef during their trip?
7. Why does J. think he shouldn't have to row after the group passes Reading?
(a) He is getting sunburned.
(b) He showed them such a good time in town.
(c) He has hurt himself.
(d) His turn is over.
8. How is Sonning described by J.?
(a) As a ghost town.
(b) As a scary town trapped in the past.
(c) As a picturesque village with quaint houses and gardens.
(d) As the place he wants to go when he settles down and has a family.
9. What kind of experience does Harris have that the others do not?
(a) Making navigational maps.
(b) Navigating by the stars.
(c) Rowing at sea.
(d) Fixing boats with leaks.
10. Whom does George finally ask about the time in the story J. tells about the broken watch?
(a) A policeman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A newspaper vendor.
(d) His girlfriend.
11. Whose shirt does J. accidentally fling into the river?
(c) His own.
(d) The captain's.
12. What kind of lunch is Harris eating when he seemingly disappears?
(a) A fruit salad.
(b) Corned beef with mustard.
(c) A meat pie.
(d) Bread and cheese.
13. Why does J. think he can't get back to sleep after he has a rough night near Picnic Point?
(a) He is getting seriously ill.
(b) The coyotes are too bothersome.
(c) The boat is rocking too much.
(d) He has no reason to get up.
14. How do the men react to Montmorency's offer for the stew?
(a) They put it in the stew.
(b) They pretend to consider it but decide against it.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They scold him.
15. Where is George when he hears the bells chime in the story J. tells?
(a) At the bus station.
(b) Fishing at the shore.
(c) At his office.
(d) Still in bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did George begin boating?
2. How does Montmorency react to the animal he tries to attack?
3. What does George want to postpone doing before they set up their boat for sleeping near Picnic Point?
4. In the story he tells, how does J. get saved from being stuck at the top of a pole?
5. What does J. remark about people's impression of their own work while on a boat?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)