|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why would J. get into trouble when he tried to make rafts?
(a) He would steal the material he needed.
(b) He was supposed to be at school instead.
(c) He made them too large.
(d) He made them too small.
2. What attracts the men to stop in Streatly, even though they weren't planning on it?
(a) It seems charming.
(b) The dog is going crazy on the boat.
(c) Their food falls overboard.
(d) They can't take being seasick anymore.
3. How does J. describe Reading?
(a) As a Monet painting.
(b) As a scene from Norman Rockwell.
(c) As unattractive.
(d) As heaven on earth.
4. What kinds of vegetables do the men use in their stew?
(a) Peas and potatoes.
(c) Peas and carrots.
5. What makes setting up the boat for sleeping take so long?
(a) The air mattress has a hole in it.
(b) The tents keep collapsing.
(c) The hoops and canvas don't fit.
(d) The blankets have bugs in them that need to be picked out.
6. What does J. think one should do first while preparing dinner?
(a) Put the tea kettle on.
(b) Put some snacks out.
(c) Preheat the oven.
(d) Read the recipe.
7. Who ends up taking the first rowing shift after Reading?
(c) No one because they use the sail.
8. Whom does George finally ask about the time in the story J. tells about the broken watch?
(a) A priest.
(b) His girlfriend.
(c) A policeman.
(d) A newspaper vendor.
9. Who provides a brief history of Marlow?
(b) The captain.
10. How is Sonning described by J.?
(a) As the place he wants to go when he settles down and has a family.
(b) As a picturesque village with quaint houses and gardens.
(c) As a scary town trapped in the past.
(d) As a ghost town.
11. Who suggests the group make a stew one night for dinner?
(c) The dog.
12. How does Montmorency react to the animal he tries to attack?
(a) He kills it.
(b) He scares it away but doesn't actually end up hurting it.
(c) He acts mean but then ends up being nice.
(d) He is intimidated by it.
13. Why did George pass the second inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
(a) It was really dirty.
(b) He thought there might be a better one down the road.
(c) It was too expensive.
(d) It was full.
14. Who gets tangled up in the materials needed to prepare the boat for sleeping?
(a) Harris and J.
(b) Just George.
(c) George and Harris.
(d) J. and George.
15. Where do the men decide they must bathe during their trip?
(a) In a pond.
(b) In the boat's bathtub.
(c) In the river.
(d) At a private bathroom on land somewhere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Montmorency attack?
2. Where is George when he hears the bells chime in the story J. tells?
3. While in Reading, where do the men randomly meet some friends of theirs?
4. Which two characters have previously taken a boat trip together?
5. After what meal do the men decide to replenish their stored food?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)