|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What historic document was signed at Manga Charta Island?
(a) The Declaration of Independence.
(b) The Constitution.
(c) The document putting the monarchy in power.
(d) The Magna Charta.
2. How does J. describe Reading?
(a) As a Monet painting.
(b) As a scene from Norman Rockwell.
(c) As heaven on earth.
(d) As unattractive.
3. In the story he tells, how does J. get saved from being stuck at the top of a pole?
(a) He is saved when the tide goes out, and he can crawl down.
(b) He is saved by another boat.
(c) He eventually climbs down and swims to safety.
(d) He has to jump from the pole to a tree to a boat.
4. What kind of boat does J. remember renting with some friends on a windy day?
(a) A sailboat.
(b) A speedboat.
(c) A steamboat.
(d) A rowboat.
5. What kind of stew does the group think they are making?
(a) An "American" stew.
(b) A "Scottish" stew.
(c) An "Irish" stew.
(d) An "English" stew.
6. Why does J. think he shouldn't have to row after the group passes Reading?
(a) His turn is over.
(b) He has hurt himself.
(c) He showed them such a good time in town.
(d) He is getting sunburned.
7. How does Montmorency react to the animal he tries to attack?
(a) He acts mean but then ends up being nice.
(b) He is intimidated by it.
(c) He scares it away but doesn't actually end up hurting it.
(d) He kills it.
8. Who takes charge of the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading?
(a) Just J.
(b) Just Harris.
(c) Some men on shore.
(d) George, J., and Harris.
9. What do the men argue about in regard to rowing the boat?
(a) What direction to row.
(b) The best technique to use.
(c) Where to sit on the boat.
(d) Who should pull the oars.
10. Whom did King Henry VIII reportedly court on Magna Charta Island?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Anne Boleyn.
(c) Queen Mary.
(d) Mary Boleyn.
11. When did George begin boating?
(a) As a teenager.
(b) When he was trying to impress a girl.
(c) At a very young age.
(d) This is his first trip.
12. Why would J. get into trouble when he tried to make rafts?
(a) He would steal the material he needed.
(b) He made them too large.
(c) He was supposed to be at school instead.
(d) He made them too small.
13. What does J. consider Marlow to be?
(a) A horrible place where the people smell bad.
(b) One of the most attractive river towns on the trip.
(c) A horrible place where everything is too expensive.
(d) Heaven on earth.
14. Whose shirt does J. accidentally fling into the river?
(a) The captain's.
(d) His own.
15. What did George do when he woke up in the middle of the night when his watch stopped?
(a) He thought it was Saturday.
(b) He thought he was late for work.
(c) He thought he had a lot more time to sleep.
(d) He thought he had to start getting ready for work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which royalty was supposed to have been on Magna Charta island?
2. J. thinks that Montmorency's breed of dog has a ______________nature.
3. Why did George pass the second inn he found when he first visited Datchet?
4. After what meal do the men decide to replenish their stored food?
5. What do the men ask of the friends they run into in Reading?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)