|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests the group make a stew one night for dinner?
(b) The dog.
2. What is the group's original goal for Magna Charta Island?
(a) It's where they've planned to end their voyage.
(b) They want to spend a few days there.
(c) They want to camp there.
(d) They just want to drift by it slowly so they can check it out from their boat.
3. How do the men react to Montmorency's offer for the stew?
(a) They put it in the stew.
(b) They ignore him.
(c) They pretend to consider it but decide against it.
(d) They scold him.
4. Why does J. think he shouldn't have to row after the group passes Reading?
(a) He has hurt himself.
(b) His turn is over.
(c) He is getting sunburned.
(d) He showed them such a good time in town.
5. Whom did King Henry VIII reportedly court on Magna Charta Island?
(a) Mary Boleyn.
(b) Anne Boleyn.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Queen Mary.
6. What did George do when he woke up in the middle of the night when his watch stopped?
(a) He thought he had to start getting ready for work.
(b) He thought he had a lot more time to sleep.
(c) He thought he was late for work.
(d) He thought it was Saturday.
7. What kind of lunch is Harris eating when he seemingly disappears?
(a) Bread and cheese.
(b) A fruit salad.
(c) Corned beef with mustard.
(d) A meat pie.
8. How much money does J. have to pay for the boat he rents with friends on a windy day?
(a) A few dollars.
(b) Quite a bit.
(c) Only one shilling.
(d) No money.
9. Who ends up taking the first rowing shift after Reading?
(a) No one because they use the sail.
10. Which two characters have previously taken a boat trip together?
(a) J. and George.
(b) Harris and George.
(c) The dog and J.
(d) J. and Harris.
11. Where near Sonning do the men decide to camp?
(a) On the boat.
(b) In a farmer's field.
(c) On an island.
(d) Inside a sports stadium.
12. What does Montmorency offer up for the stew?
(a) A water rat.
(b) His dog food.
(c) Some rocks.
(d) A bone.
13. How does Montmorency react to the men's jovial demeanor while making the stew?
(a) He gets into the spirit.
(b) He disappears for awhile.
(c) He becomes afraid.
(d) He naps.
14. What is "Picnic Point"?
(a) A famous spot in the river that is good for eating lunch.
(b) The name of J.'s hometown.
(c) The name they give the place on their boat where they always eat.
(d) The name of the place the group stops at when it can't reach Magna Charta as planned.
15. When do most young men begin boating?
(a) As a scout.
(b) As soon as they want to impress a girl.
(c) As soon as they can walk.
(d) As a teenager.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the unusual item that the men see floating in the water after they pass Reading turn out to be?
2. Why do the men insist that their food supplies be delivered to their boat immediately?
3. What condiment do the men lament not having for their beef during their trip?
4. After what meal do the men decide to replenish their stored food?
5. Who gets tangled up in the materials needed to prepare the boat for sleeping?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)